Replaced Bose Front Door Speakers - Huge Difference in Sound Quality! - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
SPEED3CONVERT
Go-Kart Driver

Default Replaced Bose Front Door Speakers - Huge Difference in Sound Quality!

I replaced my front door Bose speakers this afternoon. I'm still laughing at the Bose speakers. They are absolute junk. There are no tweeters in them at all. They are nothing but cheap paper woofers with foam surrounds and a cheesy magnet that's about the diameter of a silver dollar. The entire assembly can't cost them more than 50 cents.

I installed a pair of these and made no other changes whatsoever to the system:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-X8um9sS...5&i=065S85

The difference in sound quality is nothing short of stunning. I can also play the system at higher volume levels now without hearing any significant distortion. I bought these from Crutchfield. I paid $130.98 including shipping. They are available elsewhere for less, but Crutchfield's price includes plug-in speaker wire harness adapters (no cutting, splicing or soldering required) and detailed instructions (with photos) on removing the doors panels for those who haven't done this before.

It took me two hours total for both doors and that includes taking the time to do it right (using plastic slip ties to secure the wires, wrapping the harness adpater plugs in pipe foam/tape so they don't rattle, etc.)

I highly recommend this mod to anyone who wants better sound, but doesn't feel like replacing the amplifier, the other speakers, etc. This is the single best stereo mod you can make for the dollar. (Similar speakers of other brands should also work, but these fit PERFECTLY.)

Replacing the rear door speakers (the same speaker will work) won't yield anything close to the same return in performance for front seat passengers, since the front seats will muffle most of the gains. (Your rear seat passengers might thank you, though.) There are no DIRECT replacements for the A pillar mounted tweeters. Many are available, but they all require mods that would be visible (i.e. when the stereo breaks and the dealer won't cover it because he wrongly blames it on the speakers you put in.)

Note: The door panel fasteners are made from a relatively fragile plastic. It would be a good idea to buy some spares before doing this.
SPEED3CONVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
dg2006
Grand Am Series

Default Re: Replaced Bose Front Door Speakers - Huge Difference in Sound Quality!

Did you do the tweeters too! I have the bose also and want to upgrade. Did you put in 6.5" or 6x8".
Old 07-24-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
SPEED3CONVERT
Go-Kart Driver

Default Re: Replaced Bose Front Door Speakers - Huge Difference in Sound Quality!

[quote author=dg2006 link=topic=84197.msg1582737#msg1582737 date=1185321670]
Did you do the tweeters too! I have the bose also and want to upgrade. Did you put in 6.5" or 6x8".
[/quote]

The speakers I installed are actually 5" X 7" (woofer size) in a 6" X 8" frame:

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/c...?product_id=81

I didn't replace the A pillar mounted tweeters due to reasons discussed in my first post.

The replacement BAs have nice tweeters in them, while the factor door speakers have NO TWEETERS AT ALL! So you will pick up a lot of highs (and far better imaging) with the BAs - without replacing the existing tweeters.

It's a shame that the factory "high end" Bose system BLOSE so badly, but I'd expect nothing less:

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

I was once duped by Blose myself - way back when I was in my early 20s. I didn't know the difference then (and the true audiophile grade competition wasn't as potent as it is today). I know the difference now. This company is the perfect example of hype over substance and marketing over actual product. Everything they build is junk, with the possible exception of some of their (very expensive) small concert/club speakers.

Replace your fronts as I did. You won't regret it nor can $130 be put to better use anywhere else in this car.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
dg2006
Grand Am Series

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
SPEED3CONVERT
Go-Kart Driver

[quote author=dg2006 link=topic=84197.msg1582812#msg1582812 date=1185323123]
Thanks for the info.
[/quote]

You're welcome.

Others might laugh and tell you to replace the amp, all four door speakers, the tweeters, install a big sub in the back, etc. I have had high end aftermarket systems in other cars. They're fine for what they are. That being said, the Speed 3 in particular is not a quiet car (a compromised listening environment) and a system like that will run you at least $1,500 (plus a lot of hassles).

My suggestion is simple, cheap, invisible, works fine with the existing system and produces a very significant improvement for the money.

You won't be disappointed. I'm 43 and I can't even count the number of car stereo components I've removed, installed, modified, etc. This mod offers a hell of a lot of bang for the buck - probably the most I've ever personally seen.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
researchmonster
Bicycle Rider

[quote author=SPEED3CONVERT link=topic=84197.msg1582497#msg1582497 date=1185317330]

I installed a pair of these and made no other changes whatsoever to the system:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-X8um9sS...5&i=065S85

The difference in sound quality is nothing short of stunning. I can also play the system at higher volume levels now without hearing any significant distortion. I bought these from Crutchfield. I paid $130.98 including shipping. They are available elsewhere for less, but Crutchfield's price includes plug-in speaker wire harness adapters (no cutting, splicing or soldering required) and detailed instructions (with photos) on removing the doors panels for those who haven't done this before.

It took me two hours total for both doors and that includes taking the time to do it right (using plastic slip ties to secure the wires, wrapping the harness adpater plugs in pipe foam/tape so they don't rattle, etc.)

Note: The door panel fasteners are made from a relatively fragile plastic. It would be a good idea to buy some spares before doing this.
[/quote]

I'm a total noobie so forgive my ignorance but I would like to try this upgrade & have some questions:
Can I purchase extra door panel fasteners from an auto parts store or do I have to go to the dealer?

Would you recommend this http://www.crutchfield.com/S-933Otvx...asp?i=18187650 or is it overkill?

Can you explain what is/where I'd find pipe foam/tape?

When I first got my baby (Dec 05) everything I read made it sound like I'd have to reinvent the wheel to make any improvements/changes to a "BOSE" system so I just gave up. Thank you for letting me know how simple it can be.
researchmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:35 PM   #7
southpawboston
Grand Am Series

i wonder how those BA's would sound with a non-bose factory setup? i'm a "former" audiophile who'se given up custon systems (having kids robs you of those kinds of personal pursuits, lol). but with the Mz3, the stock system is better than other stock systems that i've had, and i'm also not willing to change the OEM look. but the one thing i can't stand is how loose the bass is. i mean, it's there, but it's really sloppy, and the doors also rattle badly. i wonder if some dynamat and those BAs would be a good cheap fix?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:43 PM   #8
SPEED3CONVERT
Go-Kart Driver

[quote author=southpawboston link=topic=84197.msg1592611#msg1592611 date=1185590131]
i wonder how those BA's would sound with a non-bose factory setup? i'm a "former" audiophile who'se given up custon systems (having kids robs you of those kinds of personal pursuits, lol). but with the Mz3, the stock system is better than other stock systems that i've had, and i'm also not willing to change the OEM look. but the one thing i can't stand is how loose the bass is. i mean, it's there, but it's really sloppy, and the doors also rattle badly. i wonder if some dynamat and those BAs would be a good cheap fix?
[/quote]

These cars are relatively inexpensive. The value is quickly lost when once begins to pump a lot of money into them.

Guys have posted wiring diagrams on here for the Bose system. I don't know what the non-Bose system is all about.

Take it for what it's worth; the BAs made a big difference - for the money. The stock Bose stuff is absolute junk. I've got both stock Bose front speakers sitting downstairs on a shelf. I'm going to have to get my hands on a digital camera and post the pics. It's just horrible. They look like what one might expect to find in a $19.95 clock radio at Walmart, only they're larger. They are one way (no tweeter), paper drivers with foam surrounds. The magnet is about the diameter of a silver dollar. On the back of the magnet is a white sticker that says, "Bose - Made in China." The rear door speakers can't be any better and the front tweeters (in the sail panels on the doors) can't be worth more than $2 each.

I don't see how the non-Bose speakers could possiby be any worse than that.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
geppetto
Grand Am Series

If you could have replaced the Bose tweeters in the sail panels easily, would you have
purchased the same Boston coaxial speakers? Just curious. Also, in one of your other posts
you indicated that you were going to have an installer do the work, but it sounds like you
did the install yourself. No regrets, I'm sure.

My car has the same Bose system (3 GT, not Speed 3), and I plan on replacing the front
speakers. However, my plan was to use Infinity components consisting of 6.5" mids and
tweeters. I realize that I will have to find a 6x8" to 6.5" adapter to make the 6.5" mids
fit properly, but my thought is that the larger cone size will provide better midrange.

I have already replaced the Bose sub, see my install: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=81420.0
and I'm extremely pleased with the results.

Last, are the Boston speakers 4 ohm or 2 ohm? My understanding is that the Bose OEM fronts
are 2 ohm. Going with a speaker that has less resistance would mean that it would see less
power at a given volume. What is your opinion?
Mazdaspeed3 catback exhaust - 18" Mazda CX-7 wheels - Mazdaspeed springs, shocks, & camber links - Mazdaspeed3 OEM rear spoiler - Alpine 10" sub - Orion amp - White LED interior and plate lighting - amber fogs - Mazda3 sill plates - The Speedline front lip - Mazdaspeed 3 rear valence - JDM Nav Mount
geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
07m3guy
Grand Am Series

Can you answer where can we get the door panel fastener? what size? I just want to have extra ready in case needed.
07m3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > 2004-2009 Electronics Discussion > Technical Information, FAQ's, How-To's, Installations