Tire noise after tire rotation. Avon M550 A/S - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
andresx
Go-Kart Driver

Default Tire noise after tire rotation. Avon M550 A/S

Hi,

I had tires (Avon M550 A/S) rotated 4k miles ago. From the get go I noticed increased tire noise, I thought it was either alignment or balancing, or some "high spots" on the tire. Ruled out aligment as it takes several seconds for car to start shifting lanes at 70mph if I let go of the steering. I figured I'd let then wear and become "even" and maybe the noise might go down.

So far it hasn't gone down considerably 4k miles after rotation, The noise is mostly noticeable at lower speeds and up to 50-55mph, when you can hear a "whoop, whoop, whoop" sound and feel some vibration. At higher speeds 70+mph there is increased noise but not "whoop" sound.

So, what does that leave me with? balancing? uneven wear? This is the first time I am rotating the tired after putting them in. I rotate every 10K miles. Any suggestions?. Thx

andresx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
D Bone
F1 Driver

Default Re: Tire noise after tire rotation. Avon M550 A/S

Are they directional tires that are now running backwards? :?

Darryl
D Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
greyzoomer
Grand Am Series

I've noticed the whoop/whoop sound ever since I bought these tires replacing the OEM Goodyears. Have had them rotated and still deal with this problem. Maybe the weight of the tire???? Not real happy, but I need to keep them till they wear out at this point.......don't think I'll buy another Avon tire.
2006 Mazda3 S 2.3L Touring Sedan. Titanium Gray. Interior black w/red. Enigma stubby antenna. Silverstar turn signals. 17" alloy wheels. Side sill extensions. Power Moonroof/6CD package. 5 speed automatic. Rear wing spoiler.
greyzoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
empire
Go-Kart Driver

Had the same problem after replacing O.E. Goodyears at 19 K. With AVON TECH M550 A/S 205 50/17 after 500 miles the tire noise was LOUD even at low speeds. These tires were originally balanced on a Hunter GSP 9700. I was really pissed because I had ordered these tires from Tirerack and felt that I had made a big mistake. Then something funny happened, I brought the car in for warranty work at Ramsey Mazda for a few small TSB's including the driveshaft click. They checked the car over promptly and told me they would order parts and that I could reschedule when the parts were in. A week later I dropped the car off and the told that it would take all day? WTF Called at the end of the day still not ready, something about waiting for the locktite to dry and could pick it up early tommorow. To my shock they replaced the front knuckles hubs and bearings and the tire noise had vanished. Since the Goodyears were relatively quiet at 19K and car tracked straight on highway, it must have been the wheel alignment they did after replacing those parts? I'm due for a rotation in a couple of weeks, wish me luck.
empire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
Goku6574
Moped Rider

Sorry cant help you got some Falkens something or other and cant hear nothing. My exhaust is to loud.
Goku6574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
-Michael-
Go-Kart Driver

Sounds like a cupped tire or 4. I had the same problems with my last set of tires. It turned out that all 4 tires had cupped. nobody could give me an answer on how that happened. the good news is Discount tire replaced all 4 tires with a different model I only had to pay the difference Falken 512 to a Yoko yk520(significantly better tire). Run your hand over the tread, if you feel any uneveness your tires are most likely shot, better yet have your dealership check the suspension and alignment, if you can build a good enough case against the car being mechanically sound, chances are you can get the tire manufacturer to replace them.
-Michael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #7
andresx
Go-Kart Driver

Front tires are cupped. Both.

I switched only the front tires to see if noise could be reduced. It does a little bit. I took care to independent mechanic he said that left wheel hub/bearing needed to be replaced. Took it to dealer, they claim it is not the bearing, but it rather needs an alignment (though at 85mph, the car stays straight )

So the question is - does a damaged wheel bearing cause cupping? how could I see it in both tires if only one bearing is damaged?

-------------------------------
Went to another mechanic. Solution is simple - replace 2 tires (at minimum). His take on it - defective materials.
andresx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Wheels / Tires