Brake pedal too low after changing pads - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
massdaguy
Short Track Racer

Default Brake pedal too low after changing pads

When I first purchased my 3i, I found the brake pedal higher (in compressed positon) than the gas pedal and felt very firm, a bit too high for the street I found, but probaby fine for the track to do proper heel and toe. Recently after changing to a set of Carbotech pads front and back (the stock pads were too sensitive when cold or at low speeds), I noticed that the brake pedal is now about 1/2" lower (when compressed) than the gas pedal, plus it feels spongy. This makes it very difficult to heel & toe. The brake system has already been bled twice (1st time with new fluid change to ATE Blue), with no change. I am thinking there might still be some air in the system that the normal bleeding process did not remove. Is there a better way to bleed out the hydraulic system other than the traditional method? My car has ABS.

massdaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #2
everett-m3s
Grand Am Series

Default Re: Brake pedal too low after changing pads

Get a friend, youll need to bleed more.

Top off the brake fluid resivior with brake fluid, and start pumping the brake like 10-15 times. Then, hold your pedal in, and have your friend (or vice versa, you bleed, they pump the brake pedal) bleed the line. Then, keep the pedal to the floor until he hollars back that the bleeding nut is back tight again, and repeat. I like to do this about 4 times per wheel.

After every wheel, check the resivior and refill brake fluid as necessary.

And also, remember start with the Passenger rear, then driver rear brake....then move to passenger front, then driver front. After each wheel, refill the brake fluid resivior.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
j-so
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Yup, sounds like you just need to bleed it better.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
massdaguy
Short Track Racer

[quote author=everett-m3s link=topic=77682.msg1415440#msg1415440 date=1179345753]
And also, remember start with the Passenger rear, then driver rear brake....then move to passenger front, then driver front. After each wheel, refill the brake fluid resivior.
[/quote]

Is there any particular reason why the wheels have to be bled in this order? I thought the wheel hydraulics were connected diagonally.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
j-so

Actually, shouldn't it be driver rear, pass. rear, pass. front, driver rear, then clutch(if needed).

There is a reason for the sequence, you start with the longest line and go to the shortest. If you didn't follow the proper sequence then you definitely need to bleed the brakes again.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
sok07

Send a message via Yahoo to sok07

[quote author=j-so link=topic=77682.msg1417204#msg1417204 date=1179407053]
Actually, shouldn't it be driver rear, pass. rear, pass. front, driver rear, then clutch(if needed).

There is a reason for the sequence, you start with the longest line and go to the shortest. If you didn't follow the proper sequence then you definitely need to bleed the brakes again.
[/quote]

Yes, bleed longest line first and shortest line last ( passenger rear, driver's rear, passenger front, driver's front ). Usually length is determined by distance from the master cylinder to the caliper. Since the master cylinder is mounted on the firewall (driver side), the longest line is usually the passenger rear. So start with that caliper first.

2009 Mazdaspeed3
Cobb AP | Cobb DP | Cobb bpv | Tubular exMani | PTP hpfp internals | RPMC turbo inlet | 3.5" core ETS TMIC | EliteEngineering PCV catchcan | CPE Trans/Pass MM | TWM SS | SU RMM | Cobb R anti-swaybar | H&R coilovers | Porsche997 bixenon projector | bosch h3 projector foglights | ...etc, etc
2003 Toyota MR2 spyder
1973 MGB GT
sok07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:03 PM   #7
BoostThat3
F1 Driver

Hmm, I seem to be having the same problem... except my pedal compresses earlier than yours currently but later than when I had my OEM pads in. I also had my rotors cut/turned, so I'm not sure if that has to do with anything.. Maybe I should have my brake system bleeded? No ABS... (Edit - I just changed out the rear pads)
BoostThat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
massdaguy
Short Track Racer

[quote author=BoostThat3 link=topic=77682.msg1417615#msg1417615 date=1179417804]
Hmm, I seem to be having the same problem... except my pedal compresses earlier than yours currently but later than when I had my OEM pads in. I also had my rotors cut/turned, so I'm not sure if that has to do with anything.. Maybe I should have my brake system bleeded? No ABS... (Edit - I just changed out the rear pads)
[/quote]

I did not get my rotors turned. My car only had about 2500 miles on the odometer at the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Suspension / Brakes