Considering Mazda 3 Hatchback vs. Prius - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
BBinLA
Go-Kart Driver

Default Considering Mazda 3 Hatchback vs. Prius

New poster here, and greetings to all!
I'm seeing some conflicting reports re: gas mileage on here, and need some advice.
I've been test driving the 3 hatchback automatic(twice now) and love it!!
I dream about it.
However,living in the LA suburbs, I've been concerned about gas mileage, so have also checked out the Prius. It's cute and hi tech and all that,and face it the mileage vs. the Mazda 3 is awesome..But, and it's a big BUT...the savings may be a wash at the end of the day.. Why?? Because the Prius battery after 5-8 years costs 3-4 K to replace! The Toyota salespeople SAY that the price will go down over time as more cars/batteries are produced, but that's a big IF. I drive a lot, so the extended 100K warranty might not last me the 5 years.
Meanwhile, the Mazda seems soo worth the money--I am so impressed with it evey time I go back to the dealership! Right now I have an old Infiniti j30 which still kicks ass,(it has over 220k on it, so am selling soon) yet the Mazda with a lot less HP feels just as good if not better to drive..I like the design of the interior much better than the Prius, the audio system is waay better, plus there are many more cool standard features and options.
So, what do you all think??Given that gas mileage is a main priority of mine, vs. eventual cost of the Prius battery, might I still do well economically if I get the Mazda?
I could get a manual trans, but I'm often stuck in slow traffic.Help me decide,good people! I'm torn!
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
mo
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: Considering Mazda 3 Hatchback vs. Prius

Since you mentioned you drive a lot and might end the warranty before 5 years, I was going to ask if you do a lot of highway driving. If you did, I would say definatly get the 3.

But then you said you get stuck in slow traffic, in the case I would say the hybrid would be the better choice.

Thats how I've always thought about it:
City = Hybrid
Highways = Fun to drive Mazda3 (gas mileage isn't as huge a difference)

I live the in the city and I got a manual 4-door S, and loving every minute of it
mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:28 PM   #3
BBinLA
Go-Kart Driver

Thanks for your reply, Mo.
Actually, it's a split-- not a lot of city bumper to bumper stuff, but I would say that
the LA freeways can be unpredictable. Weekends are a breeze of course..freeways usually wide open, and I drive them on weekends pretty often... On weekdays I'd say that I'd rarely exceed 50 MPH, tops,with some mercifully short stretches only 20-30 MPH.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
lanny
Grand Am Series

The Prius is a statement, not a car. You would never save enough gas to cover the huge difference in initial price, let alone the cost of battery replacement. If you ever carry passengers in the back seat, they would NOT be happy in a Prius (BTDT).

If money isn't as important as letting the world know how green you are, buy a Prius. As a techo-weenie toy, the Prius is brilliant. As a car, the Prius sucks.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #5
*txmica3*
F1 Driver

[quote author=lanny link=topic=77414.msg1407508#msg1407508 date=1179109312]
The Prius is a statement, not a car. You would never save enough gas to cover the huge difference in initial price, let alone the cost of battery replacement. If you ever carry passengers in the back seat, they would NOT be happy in a Prius (BTDT).

If money isn't as important as letting the world know how green you are, buy a Prius. As a techo-weenie toy, the Prius is brilliant. As a car, the Prius sucks.
[/quote]

i agree, its not worth all the extra money you spend. in my opinion the prius was introduced as toyotas way of showing that there need to be more battery cars and that they are going to be the pioneers and start the trend.

for the ultimate in milage as far as the 3 goes, id get a 2.0L 5 speed. although, depending on if you carry lots of stuff, maybe you would want a hatch/larger engine. that depends on your personal needs.

bottom line to me, i would not go with the prius. more pain and money than its worth.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:40 PM   #6
southpawboston
Grand Am Series

honestly, i'd say if gas mileage is your primary concern, then just get a plain old gas engine civic, which will get you 40mpg highway. then you never have to worry about the initial price premium difference OR the cost of eventual battery replacement.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
Sealy
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Life is way too short to have this much angst over a mechanism of transport. Follow your heart - get the Mazda - especially the Hatch. Or if you must, squeeze a few more MPGs and get the 2.0 sedan. If you are really feeling guilty - wear a hair shirt and take public transport on occasion. Or plant a tree. I'll be looking for you under the New Owner heading. Oh, do me a favor - pick a color that is as equally exciting as the Hatch.

2006 Velocity Red GT Hatch
Sealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #8
Vanilla Skywalker
Go-Kart Driver

When i was shopping for a car i really struggled with the decision to get something green or something fun. I think the 3 is a nice balance.... especially the manual 2.0.
I had wanted a 3 since they came out but i too was very concerned with the gas mileage. I ended up narrowing my choices down to the 3 , the civic coupe , and the civic hybrid. [ I think the Prius is a good car , i just didn't care for the way it looks...but it's grown on me since then]

Anyways.. blah blah blah I ended up getting the Mazda 3 S-touring 2.3 Automatic and i love it . Haven't regretted it since. I sometimes wish it was a little more environmentally friendly but it's really not that bad. To compensate i've really changed my driving habits and as a result i've become a more conservative driver. I live less than 2 miles from my job so right now i'm driving almost 98% city. I don't break the 45mph limit before i get to work so the MPG is deceptive being that all i'm driving is a quick stop n go every day.

If i reset my trip computer before driving 35 miles to the next biggest town i get 32MPG [I haven't had my first oil change so i expect this number to improve a little[

My Mazda 3 S-Touring 2.3
- Average MPG w/ mixed driving = 25 / 27 MPG
- 100% Highway = 32MPG

With that being said.. I think the Prius is a good car and i wouldn't let anybodys opinion affect your decision. If you get the Prius i think you'll be happy with it and you'll save alot of money on gas in the long run. Since i started working so close to home i've noticed exactly how much money i've been saving on gas and it adds up quickly... plus you get to feel good about not contributing to environmental problems such as global warming etc. Like i said earlier.. If i wasn't so smitten with the 3 and the Civic i might have considered a Prius myself... i just couldn't get past the looks. If you like the Prius and gas mileage is huge thing for you then i would say go for it.

If you're in love with the 3 like i am... maybe you should get an "I" model with the more efficiant 2.0 engine. With a little effort you can make it LOOK like a 2.3 if thats something you wanted to do. Most dealers could help you with this.. It's a great car and it's a balance between environmentally friendly and something sporty and fun. I feel the same way about the Civics.. i just like the Mazda 3 more.

Go with your gut.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
EvilDeadFan
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Did you also make a post on prius forums? If not, I think I already know which car you reaaally want. You dream about it? Get it. It really is a great car to own. Fun/sporty, practical, it's already a fairly economical 4 that has better gas mileage than any v6 or up, and has plenty of power to keep you smiling.

You already know these facts as you've tested them. Go for it.

My one big bit of advice? Test the manual. Much more fun, and I think peopl here with the automatic kind of wish they purchased one in the first place, but were worried with how hard it may or may not be to drive one..

I'm a guy where I've previously driven the odd manual here and there.. but stalled them frequently enough. Nothing crazy, but I wasn't attuned to driving one. I forced myself to try the mazda 3 manual, and to my suprise, it was RIDICULOUSLY EASY. Nicest clutch engagement I've had to deal with yet... I don't regret the manual at all. I just thank my lucky stars I went for it as my past vehicle was automatic. got so boring.

2006 Mazda 3 Sport GT. 5MT, Titanium Grey.
EvilDeadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #10
turmionkatilot88
Grand Am Series

Send a message via AIM to turmionkatilot88

dont waste your time with toyota..... If you want a car you can enjoy to drive, get the mazda 3. the 2.0 will get good gas mileage and still have alot of pep.
His- 06 Mazda 3 touring S with 17" alloys, custom front grill, Magnaflow exhaust, Farenheit 5000K fog lights and High and Low Beams as well. 1-12" Kicker L5 Solo-baric/400 Watt RMS Crossfire 401D. JBL GTO Series 6x8's and JBL CS 60.4 Amp. K&N Panel Air Filter. Tint all the way around (is this really a mod?) More to come.

Hers- 06 Dodge Magnum 3.5L-No Mods
turmionkatilot88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Consumer Reviews