Flashing the PCM - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
MS3Sleeper
Moped Rider

Default Flashing the PCM

I have been gathering the pieces-parts to be able to flash the MS3 PCM. No rocket science here. You can get the flash program called MMP (Mazda Module Programming) from mazdatechinfo.com. A thirty day deal is 60 bucks – 24 hours is 30 IIRC. You download the flash program, which appears to be a subset of the MMDS software used by the dealer shop for diagnostics and PCM programming. I’m using V4.8.

The subscription is necessary, because new re-flash data is loaded over the internet while you’re running the MMP and are connected to the car. For the J2534 pass-thru interface, I’m using a Drew Mongoose PWM/CAN interface with the FEPS option (which allows Ford/Mazda programming).

The current available flash is documented in this excellent thread –

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=75964.0

Looks like it addresses a bunch of drivability and performance irritations we’ve been having.

My current flash level is E. The most current for my VIN is G (I believe this applies all MS3’s).

I got to the “jumping-off point” of doing the re-flash, but stopped short, as I’m still doing some structured logging and want to preserve my testing baseline. I'll advise the results when I push the button.

The first screenshot is at the point-of-no-return. Note the G revision software part number.

The second screen is the log-file showing my current configuration with the original E flash. Note that the MMP did Mode 6 diags on the PCM, DSC and other intelligent nodes in the system.

There are a few trivial utilities in MMP. You can program ignition keys and turn off the driver and passenger seatbelt chimes. I turned off the driver chime as a test, verified the change and changed it back.

Screenshots three and four show optional levels (1-16) for “Display Interval” and “Fuel Response". The control unit is the IC (instrument cluster). Just guessing - maybe the instrument refresh rate and the fuel gauge integral over time. I was tempted to mess with the fuel response to see if I could see a slosh, but I ran out of time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MMP1.JPG (30.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg MMP2.JPG (52.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg MMP3.JPG (36.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg MMP4.JPG (36.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg MMP1.JPG (30.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg MMP2.JPG (52.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg MMP3.JPG (36.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg MMP2.JPG (52.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg MMP4.JPG (36.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg MMP2.JPG (52.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg MMP1.JPG (30.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg MMP3.JPG (36.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg MMP2.JPG (52.5 KB, 54 views)
MS3Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
defski2004
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: Flashing the PCM

what is a Drew Mongoose PWM/CAN interface with the FEPS option (which allows Ford/Mazda programming). Where do you get something like that?
defski2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:06 AM   #3
MS3Sleeper
Moped Rider

www.drewtech.com
Old 04-30-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
Tenacious_B
Le Mans: GT Class

So can I just go into my Mazda service dept and ask to be updated to "flash G" or do I have to complain about driveability issues first?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
MS3Sleeper
Moped Rider

[quote author=Tenacious_B link=topic=76162.msg1374176#msg1374176 date=1177903291]
So can I just go into my Mazda service dept and ask to be updated to "flash G" or do I have to complain about driveability issues first?
[/quote]

The thread referenced above has a lot of differing opinions about dealer re-flash policies and issues. I’d re-post this there to keep all those discussions concentrated in one place.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:47 AM   #6
bearda
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Very interesting. So you're using something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mongo...spagenameZWD1V

How is that list of PCM options populated? I know a couple members had mentioned it was possible for Mazda dealers to bump the 118 mph limiter. I'm kind of curious if a tool like yours could do the same.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
MS3Sleeper
Moped Rider

[quote author=bearda link=topic=76162.msg1374709#msg1374709 date=1177940831]
Very interesting. So you're using something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mongo...d-Supports-etc.
How is that list of PCM options populated? I know a couple members had mentioned it was possible for Mazda dealers to bump the 118 mph limiter. I'm kind of curious if a tool like yours could do the same.
[/quote]

Yes, that’s one of several J2534 interfaces that are suitable. I bought mine directly from Drew Technology. They are great folks and they have some great products, including a standalone, completely programmable “glass instrument panel” which will be released soon.

The capabilities of the MMP are rather limited and there is no control of your speed parameter. A subscription service with Mazda is required to use the MMP. The MMP has the following abilities –

1 - Update a flash for your specific VIN using a concurrent internet connection for “ET phone home”.

2 - Swap out a PCM or Instrument Cluster (IC) by reading data from the old unit and transferring it to the new unit. In the case of the PCM, the VIN and probably a bunch of other vehicle specific stuff gets transferred. In the case of the IC, the mileage gets transferred to the new unit.

3 - Program additional electronic ignition keys and delete (discontinue) keys.

4 - There are a number of other marginally useful features. You can change the tire size constant to true-up the speedo, but I couldn’t get this to work. Some of the other utility functions are described above.

I believe Mazda logs the important activity against your VIN across the internet connection. I wouldn’t think there would be warranty issues unless you are at fault and screw something up. MMP was provided to allow non-Mazda garages to update and replace the critical electronic modules. I think making this type of limited open toolset available for the mom-and-pop garages is required by commerce law.

It appears you can get the full-boat MMDS / IDS system (Teradyne J2534 VCM Pod and IDS software) which the Mazda garages use for $4K. It comes in laptop and PDA versions. You supply the laptop.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
prankstar008
Bicycle Rider

Anyone know where you can rent a J2534 cable? $450 for one flash is even more than the $102 I was quoted by the dealer.
prankstar008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > MazdaSpeed > MazdaSpeed3 Stock Issues