My "HOW TO" Fix Curb Rash - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
cpham53
Short Track Racer

Default My "HOW TO" Fix Curb Rash

This is a brief summary and I wish I documented more steps along the way but you get a general idea on how it works. This was my first time doing this and am very happy with the results so I thought I'd share.

First, the credits:
everett-m3s - For finding the correct color match ( http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=73864.0 )
The NASA guide - For instructions on how to fix ( http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/w...uff-repair.htm )

I was selling my stock wheels because I picked up a set of MX-5 rims. The buyer only needed two because he scratched his. His car was new, as in still had dealer plates, so he was still at the anal stage of car ownership where even a small scratch is devastating. So the deal was, he purchased two at a good price, and gives me his two scratched wheels.

Materials
- Paint thinner to clean the area
- Bondo putty
- Popsicle sticks or similar to apply putty
- Towles/Rags
- Sand paper (400 grit, 200 if needed to take away heavy burrs)
- DupliColor T191 Spray paint (pretty much the exact color for our OEM wheels)
- Primer spray
- Gloss clear coat spray
- Patience
- 6-pack of Sam Adams

We first inspect the damage; it was pretty ugly. Some would say it's more of a gash than scratch.

After cleaning the wheels, clean the area with paint thinner to take off any residue. I used 600 grit sandpaper to take off the burrs.

Here are the tools we will be using to patch up the area.

Use the popsicle stick to spread the putty onto the damaged areas. Remember to use small layers at a time or else it will take forever to dry and be prone to cracking when you try sanding. The top layer might be dry but when sanding further down to the moist area it gets messy. I learned the hard way and the pictures show too much putty. Using a hairdryer set on hot also helps the drying process.

The first sanding step with 400 grit sandpaper. DO NOT wet sand or the bondo gets moist and crumbles. This step gets all the excess bondo off. Using a small wooden block or popsicle stick wrapped with the sandpaper helps keep the surface you are sanding even. A finger does not do so well.

Add layers of bondo as necessary until the area feels smooth and even

Primer the area and sand as necessary. This step I didn't do the correct method but it worked for me. In the link shown above, you're not supposed mask off the whole area. Instead, you just spray and clean up the surrounding areas with a rag soaked with paint thinner.

After a couple times of the previous step, lay down a nice layer of primer.

Primer build up at the areas where the masking tape meets the wheel will need to be sanded down to be smooth. This step I took off the tape and just used my finger and went along the lines. Buff the area, spray clear coat, then buff again with a soft cloth.

Finally, the ending result which I'm pretty happy with. For some reason the picture looks like the area near the scratched is lighter. This is actually due to the shade from the house on one side and fence on the other. The paint match is actually 99% correct. I asked the buyer to try and find the scuffed area and he had a hard time. Zee End!!

Advertisement

Old 04-29-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
sammifan
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Re: My "HOW TO" Fix Curb Rash

Very good write-up. Will definitely come in handy to those with stock wheels.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
Depou
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via MSN to Depou

wont bondo crumble off overtime???
Old 04-29-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
jtrnp
Go-Kart Driver

Send a message via AIM to jtrnp Send a message via MSN to jtrnp Send a message via Yahoo to jtrnp

The bondo should be fine as long as its under 1/8" thick... Thank you very much for this How-to. It will come in very handy for one of my wheels!

travis
Old 04-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
ionorick
F1 Driver

looks really good gj
Old 04-30-2007, 12:39 AM   #6
danger mouse
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to danger mouse

nice this should be a sticky!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:59 AM   #7
Mr. Speed
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Wow nice write up cpham53!

That'll definitely come in handy for many people!

+1 on the sticky!
Mr. Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #8
Radar_This
F1 Driver

[quote author=Depou link=topic=76160.msg1374054#msg1374054 date=1177901205]
wont bondo crumble off overtime???
[/quote]

No but it can shrink...You really don't need bondo for this job...Theres not enough alloy missing...But if you don't have the right tools then yeah bondo will work...And when you paint a spotted area, instead of masking you're supposed to blend...That will alleviate the masking lines...

But overall for a non professional, not bad...But because I have a trained eye, no offense, I see where the repair is...One final coat of bondo would have done the trick...Or a thick filler...

But props to you...And that's coming from a Professional...
Radar_This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #9
JezMaz
Go-Kart Driver

So if Bondo 'does the job', what's the best stuff out there if you want the best repair possible (what the pros use)?
Old 05-01-2007, 12:15 AM   #10
Radar_This
F1 Driver

[quote author=JezMaz link=topic=76160.msg1377239#msg1377239 date=1177991018]
So if Bondo 'does the job', what's the best stuff out there if you want the best repair possible (what the pros use)?
[/quote]

Not trying to be a RICHARD but that's a trade secret...I can't give secrets away, but I can give pointers...
Radar_This is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Wheels / Tires > Wheels / Tires Technical Information, FAQ's, How-To's