Blinking Red Car Light with Key - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:02 AM   #1
jpark3
Grand Am Series

Send a message via AIM to jpark3
Default Blinking Red Car Light with Key

I havn't really taken too much time looking into this and with the search topics and if this has been talked about before, i apologize.

I lost my owner's manual and i can't seem to find out what the problem is.

I've been having electrical problems with my car these days, such as taking out the key from the ignition, but it still acts as if it's there or sometimes the keyless lock won't work either.

but today, i came across a problem where in the middle of the place where the speedometer is (i forget what this is called), the car with the key in the middle keeps on blinking and the blue background light is lit.
i tried turning on the car and turning the light on and off, but it still won't work.

help, anyone?
jpark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
bearda
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Re: Blinking Red Car Light with Key

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're saying, but it sounds like the car's ECU may be rejecting the key's ID code. What you're describing is similar to what happens when you have a key cut correctly but not programmed.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
icspots
Super Moderator

jpark, the light in question is the engine immobilizer light. when the car is off and the key is not in the ignition the light should always be flashing slowly (roughly every 5 seconds). All this is indicating is that the immobilizer is working. If the light flashes really quickly when you insert a key that means that the car is rejecting the ID code of your key. That just means that the key isn't programmed into the ECU for the car, and the car won't let you start it with that key.

As for the blue lights staying on after the key is out that too is normal. Once you turn off the car the blue lights should stay on for about 30 seconds to a minute, and at the same time the immobilizer light will start flashing.

You also mentioned that sometimes the car acts as if there's still a key in the ignition, right? Many people have had the same problem and I believe it was a stuck ignition switch. That should be easily replaced by the dealer under warranty. Incidentally the reason that the keyless entry won't work is because the car still thinks there's a key in the ignition.

So now that Andrew and I have spewed off a bunch of info. at you did we actually manage to help you?

icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
jpark3
Grand Am Series

Send a message via AIM to jpark3

yeah, thank you. i think this is the first time i actually got a good helpful response after posting up a question. haha

thanks a lot, guys.
jpark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
icspots
Super Moderator

[quote author=jpark3 link=topic=73345.msg1301923#msg1301923 date=1175287438]
yeah, thank you. i think this is the first time i actually got a good helpful response after posting up a question. haha

thanks a lot, guys.
[/quote]

We do try.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
jeehole
Bicycle Rider

Hi guys,

I'm having the problem where sometimes the car acts as though my key is still in the ignition - and the keyless entry won't work.

You mentioned that this can be caused by a stuck ignition switch. The problem is, my car is out of warranty (its a 2005 Mazda 3).

I tried searching for more info on this, such as part numbers, pictures, and installation tips - but came up blank. Can you point me in the right direction?

thanks!
Joel
jeehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #7
icspots
Super Moderator

[quote author=jeehole link=topic=73345.msg1935841#msg1935841 date=1198181813]
Hi guys,

I'm having the problem where sometimes the car acts as though my key is still in the ignition - and the keyless entry won't work.

You mentioned that this can be caused by a stuck ignition switch. The problem is, my car is out of warranty (its a 2005 Mazda 3).

I tried searching for more info on this, such as part numbers, pictures, and installation tips - but came up blank. Can you point me in the right direction?

thanks!
Joel
[/quote]

Ummmm, not sure. Let me put a question in to bagman1.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #8
mazdathaiboi
Le Mans: Prototype Class

usually when you drop the key and it hits the ground hard enough.. i heard the key wont work anymore
2007 Mazdaspeed3 sport =D ,Cobb AccessPort, black'd out emblem, debadge'd rear,AEM CAI, Relentless FMIC, Turbosmart hybrid BOV, test pipe, Resonator Delete,Autotech hpfp/cdfp, Street Unit RMM, Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs, TWM short shifter 55w 6000K HIDs Headlights and Fogs & LED Parking Lights
mazdathaiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
icspots
Super Moderator

[quote author=mazdathaiboi link=topic=73345.msg1936662#msg1936662 date=1198203314]
usually when you drop the key and it hits the ground hard enough.. i heard the key wont work anymore
[/quote]

Hmm, I've dropped my keys tons of times and it's never damaged the chip.

I heard back from bagman1 and while he said he can hook you up with parts he's not exactly sure which parts need to be replaced. His suggestion was to see a dealer to find out what needs to be replaced. I know this problem has come up before but I can't find the thread right now.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
jeehole
Bicycle Rider

[quote author=icspots link=topic=73345.msg1937421#msg1937421 date=1198242608]
[quote author=mazdathaiboi link=topic=73345.msg1936662#msg1936662 date=1198203314]
[/quote]

Hmm, I've dropped my keys tons of times and it's never damaged the chip.

I heard back from bagman1 and while he said he can hook you up with parts he's not exactly sure which parts need to be replaced. His suggestion was to see a dealer to find out what needs to be replaced. I know this problem has come up before but I can't find the thread right now.
[/quote]

OK, thanks.

I do have a little more information. I got to compare the behavior with my friends Mazda today. Basically, whenever the drivers door is open, the car chimes like the key is in the ignition - even though it isn't.

I thought this was the chime to tell you the door was open, but my friend showed me that it should only happen when the key is in the ignition.

The weird thing is, this is happening all the time, and yet the keyless entry works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.

Does that shed any light on the possible cause?

Do you know if the ignition switch is the actual hole you insert your key into, or if it is a separate relay or something?

Thanks,
Joel

jeehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > 2004-2009 Electronics Discussion