how to tighen serpentine/accessory belt - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
erowley
Bicycle Rider

Default how to tighen serpentine/accessory belt

I am starting to get a loud squeaking noise from the right side of the engine compartment when I accelerate from 15mph in 2nd gear. It also happens in 3rd gear if I am going slow enough. I am pretty sure my serpentine belt needs to be tighten. I checked and there seems to be a pretty good about of play in the belt. How do I tighten the belt? Do I need to take the alternator off or can I tighten the bolt on the tensioner pulley?

Thanks
erowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
userabuser
Moped Rider

Default Re: how to tighen serpentine/accessory belt

From memory 'serpentine' belts (wide flat muti rib belts) dont have any adjustments.
The tensioner is just that, a spring loaded tensioner.
If the belts slipping then the belt needs changing.
Either that or the tensioner is faulty........

Try a bit of 'belt grip', local parts place should have a spray can of 'something' you squirt on the belts to stop them from making noise.

Need to get a can myself, belts noisy but not slipping, sounds more like a stuffed lifter with the noise it makes (tick tick tick)...
Yet another thing I have to fix cause mazda are retarded twats.

Will NEVER buy another mazda ever.
Warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
userabuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
azazel1024

No way to tighten it, time for a new belt or tensioner (probably belt). I don't remeber what the recommended change interval is in the owner's manual, but generally serpentine belts need to be changed every 30-45,000 miles (maybe it is 60k, but I think more often then that).

Userabuser, I am sure you have had problems...but what (I am curious based on your vitrolic reply)? What you describe (userabuser) doesn't sound like a serpentine issue...they don't make ticking sounds (or never had in my experience).
-Matt
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
userabuser
Moped Rider

Hey Matt,

Most if not all of my probs are minor. (which makes this even worse in my books)
Should be quick easy fix's. Should be.
After trying 4 dealers (Australia) I've worked out that mazda and their dealers have zero interest and zero ability to fix their product.
Have called the mazda spin doctors (customer care) many times - all to no avail - last time even the manager admitted I was right and that I have every right NOT to trust their agents abilities.

Problems I've had; (7-06 neo sedan)

Dealer faults;
Pre delivery ? what's that ?
Wheel alignment - steering wheel crooked - wrong tire pressure - headlight aim.
Servicing side;
Excessive grease - non exsistant customer relations - broken fittings - a month to get wrnty parts.

Mazda faults;
clutch pedal pulsing - drivers window snap - sagging suspension (1/2&quot - Squeeky seat belts - surge under cruise - rough idle - loss of power - unresponsive - refuses to change gear (manual) - belt noise.

There's more but I can't remember them at the moment.

Of these faults the clutch pedal pulsing and ecu coding are the only one's remaining to be fixed.
ECU coding will have to be done by mazda.
(If they can, still waiting mazda, 7 months and 14,000 klms, still waiting for my new car to be a new car - maybe it'll be fixed the day before it hit's the scrap yard)
Unless I rip that sucker out and fit a haltech or similar. Might just do that yet.

Clutch, I know why it's doing it, I just have get around to pulling the hydrolics apart and fix/modify them.

Every single other fault I have fixed. As in ME personally.
Has cost me about $1,000 in parts, and all up one week of my time (on and off).

Can you see any reason why I should buy another mazda ? I can't.

I bought a new car so I wouldn't have to fix the trade in.
So far I've fixed more on this thing than I had to on the 10yo trade.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand a new car having faults, but FFS, if it's faulty, don't tell me "This fault only happens with o/s models" or "It's within spec", just fix the (insert swear word) thing.
Oh, that's right, they can't........

Now, as for the belt 'ticking' it's intermittent (getting worse) almost to a point where it's every day now.
Originally thought a valve lifter was sticking. Now that's an interesting idea, a sticky lfter in an ohc motor that uses 'lash' adjusters.

Tick tick tick, open bonnet, Tick tick tick, Hmmm, sounds like it's comming from the belt, Huh ?!, never heard a belt make that noise before, I'll try the old 'water-on-belt-stops-it-squeeling' trick, pour a tiny bit of water on the main belt, look at that, noise goes away completely.

Have never in 30 years heard a belt go 'tick' like this.
Serpentines just keep going until they split or loose tension.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #5
azazel1024

Wow, yeah you have had a lot of problems. That is odd with the belt. I can't recall ever hearing a belt tick either. Any chance there is something on it that is hitting on the pulleys (maybe a slight glazed spot or a deposit of something)?

Anyway, good luck with everything.
-Matt
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
userabuser
Moped Rider

As I said to mazda, cars have faults but telling me I can't drive/it's within spec is not the way to treat someone thats given you all their money.
My best bet is to never let a mazda agent touch the car again.
From my observations these twats should go back to painting fences and leave the 'difficult' jobs (oil changes) to people that know how and care about the customer.

Oh, and if your reading mazda corp, I'm keeping ALL records and correspondance so if/when the engine/gearbox fails, there will be NO arguments about wrnty.

Belt, no nothing near it, no tears, nicks, bugs.
It's just a freak.
If the 'belt squeel stop' doesn't work I'll replace it with a real belt (non mazda).

To O.P. erowley;
How you going with your noise ??????
Old 03-06-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
rpn453
Le Mans: GT Class

The belt should be okay unless it is visibly damaged or had something spilled on it. If the belt doesn't seem tight, then the problem is likely the tensioner, which you'd have to replace.

Your A/C belt could also be slipping. Experiment with loading the alternator (fan, rear window defrost) and the A/C to confirm which belt it is. If you pop the belt off to check the tensioner spring, make sure the alternator, tensioner pulley, and the water pump bearings are spinning freely.
Wiring Mods: One-Touch Keyless Entry | AC Compressor Control | OEM Shock Sensor
Problems to Date: MAF Wiring (warranty), Front Engine Mount Failed (warranty), LCA Bushings Failed
rpn453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
erowley
Bicycle Rider

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll just wait until the noise gets really bad then take it in.
erowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 03:17 AM   #9
userabuser
Moped Rider

Problem with leaving it be is that this (ribbed serpetine) belt drives the alternator and water pump.
If the belts slipping two things will happen.
1. battery won't charge properly.
2. engine 'might' not get proper cooling.

Remember though, the amount of lost battery charging and water flow will vary with how much the belt is slipping.
It may not be enough to worry about, but still it might.

One things for sure, belts screaming in pain annoy me no end because they are normaly so easy to fix.

Try pouring a bit (cup full) of water on the belt and see if that helps, if not then either the belt tensioner is shot to heck, or it aint the belt that's making noise.............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Stock Issues