Motor Mount Breaks w/ Pics - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
dantheman1998
Moped Rider

Default Motor Mount Breaks w/ Pics

I recently got a speed 3 and i love the car. Some spirited driving and this happens. The engine fell and took out the driver side axel also. Ive had the car for a week. Its already at the dealer getting fixed. My problem is is this a known problem and is there some type of recall? I just dont want the same weak part put back in only to have this happen again.

[img width=570 height=768]http://a571.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/20/l_f0e155f5c31c71162951d0b16522e782.jpg[/img]

dantheman1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2007, 12:22 AM   #2
TRU-BOOST
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Re: Motor Mount Breaks w/ Pics

oh no !!!
we were all hoping that it was just a fluke when it happened before......http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=63851.0
looks like there will (should) be a recall ....thats two !!!
TRU-BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:05 AM   #3
Betelgeuse

And the thing is, I'm a pretty fast driver . Please keep us posted on this and if you can take some more pics (without the airbox) please do. It would be nice to compare them to the previous thread but I'm sure the damage to the mount will look similar.

To answer your question, no there isn't a recall that I know of as of yet. There are people with > 5000 miles and no problem. I myself will probably be at 4k tomorrow or wednesday. But that of course doesn't mean it can't happen later, which kinda sucks. I really hope Mazda is paying attention and could come up with some reasonable explanation because I have a feeling this isn't the last we'll hear of this. Anyway good luck!

Found this on the Australian forums:

http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/forums/mp...ine-mount.html

I searched and it was the only one I could find. Someone suggested it might've been a bad batch. I really hope so.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:16 AM   #4
GT1

Can you elaborate on your "spirited driving"?
Have you done any hard launches? Have you experienced any wheel hop?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:19 AM   #5
GT1

If the car is breaking mounts when it's stock (there are 3 known cases so far), forget about any mods until the weak links are properly identified and corrected.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:31 AM   #6
dantheman1998
Moped Rider

All I will say about my driving is that I have spiritly driven my Grand Prix GTP many times and never had a motor mount break. Or anything for that matter and it has 100,000 miles.
dantheman1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #7
CosmicBlueMS3
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to CosmicBlueMS3 Send a message via Yahoo to CosmicBlueMS3

daum, this is not good news. I really hope mazda takes action soon since replacing a motor mount or mounts will be much cheaper in the long run than replacing all the bits that break when the engine falls.
spirited driving or not, this car should not break under anything you can throw at it stock besides maybe repeated 6k clutch drops and even then it should hold up or it simply wasnt designed strong enough.

good luck with the fix, keep us updated.
1995 Miata R #187 ES

Koni 8611's, Hoosier A6 245/225's, Cobb FSB, Hawk HP Plus, Motul RBF 600, MS cbe, Redline MT-90 and a K&N filter
CosmicBlueMS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
zoom_craigy_zoom
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to zoom_craigy_zoom

Damn that sucks dude. Hope they fix it up, and for all the other speed3 owners, I hope they issue a recall, like STAT.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
quiet desperado
Go-Kart Driver

I'll be interested to see if it's an engine mount, as appears to have happened to the Oz guy, or the transmission mount as happened to SachielDesign. Since here the driver's side fell and hit the axle, it's looking like the transmission mount.

I wish we had heard some speculation from SD's dealer or Mazda about the cause. Best potential explanation I've heard was from the VW mechanic who said it had been a problem on one GTi he'd seen and was due to overtightening.

This is your brain. This is your brain on boost. Any questions?
quiet desperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
TRU-BOOST

yeah...ithink its the tranny mount also, there should be enough evidence of a problem for mazda to fix this issue.
i'm surprised mine is intact !! honestly i beat the hell out of my car...i powershift very often, also doing lots of hard launches...just for practice.
TRU-BOOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > MazdaSpeed > MazdaSpeed3 Stock Issues