Auxiliary audio inputs, and ipod integration options UPDATED 01/10/09 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
icspots
Super Moderator

Default Auxiliary audio inputs, and ipod integration options UPDATED 01/10/09

Here's a breakdown of all the options available for you to add an auxiliary input or ipod integration to the factory Mazda3 stereo. If you know of a method I've forgotten please let me know and I'll add it in, otherwise I'll add updates as I find them. Be aware that the listed prices are approximate and do change, and the listed sites are examples and may not be the lowest price available. Be sure to check the sites for prices and/or shop around and don't just take what I'm saying. If you have installed pictures of these units send me the links and I'll post them in here. This is a long thread with lots of info., but if you have any questions please post and I'll do my best to answer them.

[size=8pt](Note: All methods that use the "sirius/CD changer" port are fully compatible with HU's containing the in dash CD changer)[/size]

[size=8pt](Note: Due to a HU connector change in 2008.5+ models from 32 pin to 30 pin some inputs/ipod modules may not work with '08+ models. Please contact the seller/manufacturer to confirm compatibility, or join one of the brand specific discussions prior to buying)[/size]

[size=8pt](Note: Unless otherwise noted none of the integration modules below will charge an iphone 3G/3GS due to a change in the dock connector for those models.)[/size]

As clarification. There are two inputs available on the stereo that can be used by the listed methods. The TAPE/MD input is located on the bottom of the HU, and the SIRIUS/CD CHANGER input is located on the back of the HU. Any method which uses the sirius/CD changer input are incompatible with OEM sirius, or the phatbox system as they use the same port.

[hr]
[size=18pt]Line in only:[/size]
[size=8pt]simple audio inputs[/size]
[hr]

Aux Mod Basic- Line in only. Provides 3.5mm input via the Tape/MD jack. This module is incompatible with at least '08.5 models as they do not have the TAPE/MD connector on the HU. Unsure about '08 models. ~$60 Installed Picture Discussion

Grom Audio Auxiliary Mp3 adapter- Provides RCA/3.5mm input (RCA cable with included RCA-3.5mm adapter) via the sirius/CD changer input on the back of the HU. Additional adapters available have an ipod dock connector, or combo RCA/ipod connector. Contact the seller for details on other adapters. ~$50

Peripherals Auxiliary Input- Line in only. Provides one RCA input, and one 8-pin CD changer port compatible with Alpine, Audiovox, or Sanyo CD Changers. Includes an adapter to make the CD changer port a second RCA input. Plugs in via the Sirius/CD changer port on the back of the HU. Ideal for connecting multiple peripherals (external CD changer, DVD, MD, Mp3, etc.) at the same time. ~$99

P.I.E.- Line in only. Connects to the HU via the sirius/CD changer jack on the back, adapter connects MAZ/PC-ALP module to your device. ~$75 Discussion

Adapters: [size=8pt]Pick the adapter for your input needs[/size]
  • ALP/M-RCA for RCA, ~$15
  • ALP/M-3.5M for 3.5mm, ~$18
  • PXP03 for ipod*, ~$25
  • PXA03 combines all three (ALP/M-RCA, ALP/M-3.5M, PXP03*) in one cable, ~$35
[size=8pt](*Note: ipod dock connector will charge the ipod and access the line out, but WILL NOT allow ipod control from the stereo controls)[/size]

OEM ACI (Auxiliary Console Input)- Line in only. 07+ US models come with an auxiliary 3.5mm audio input in the center console connected to the stereo through the sirius/CD changer port. No tests have been made with the ACI on older HU's to test compatibility with the firmware and retrofitting is most likely prohibitively expensive. Your best bet is to go with another input.

FM Modulators (transmitters)- Line in only. Another way to cheaply get audio into your stereo is through a FM modulator. This method inputs an audio signal via the FM receiver in your car's stereo. Modulators come in direct wired, and wireless transmitting types. The wired ones are commonly referred to as modulators, and the wireless ones as transmitters, but they're all technically modulators. Both versions give you an easy audio input, but at the sacrifice of sound quality as the sound is still going through the FM receiver. There are so many options of modulators that I won't list any here, but just be aware that they exist.

[hr]
[size=18pt]Ipod Integration w/ LCD text display:[/size]
[size=8pt]Full integration of an ipod via the stereo controls, display ID3 tag info. on the HU's LCD, and charges the ipod via the dock connector[/size]
[hr]

AXXESS ipod interface- Comes in two styles: ipod/auxiliary input, and ipod/XM satellite radio. The ipod/auxiliary version provides a dock connector for the ipod as well as RCA cables for inputing audio from a non-ipod device. The ipod/XM version replaces the auxiliary RCA connector with wiring harness to connect to a the Terk XMD1000 satellite tuner. **However, this tuner is not included and has been discontinued by the manufacturer.** The module connects to the stereo through the MD/TAPE slot on the bottom of the HU. The ipod's controls are disabled while connected however the device supports up to 99 playlists on your ipod. Input selection is toggled by pushing the AM/FM button, and then the MD/TAPE (or MEDIA) button. The module is compatible with all Mz3īs which do not have a Clarion HU. Unit is not compatible with the TAPE/MD modules.
Discussion, Installation Walkthrough

[size=8pt](Note: This method is not compatible with Mazda 3's containing a HU made by Clarion. Clarion HU's are found in most 2007+ Mazda 3's. Look at the sticker on top of your HU to confirm your manufacturer.)[/size].

DICE w/ Text- Connects to the HU using the sirius/CD changer port. Provides an auxiliary 3.5mm input for other devices. ~$159 Discussion

[size=8pt](Note: This module is only compatible with HU's that have the "SAT" button)[/size].

Neo Prolink w/ Text - Ipod is never locked out. Connects to the HU using the sirius/CD changer port. Provides an auxiliary 3.5mm input for other devices. ~$179 Discussion, tips/instructions

[size=8pt](Note: This module is only compatible with HU's that have the "SAT" button)[/size].

Mazda ipod adapter '08.5+- Due to a change in harness connectors on the '08 HU Mazda released an ipod module compatible only with '08+ models. You must connect the CAN +/- wires to the LCD harness for text display. This module requires the use of an install kit to connect it to the HU. There are two install kits to choose from. One provides a pass-through for OEM sirius, and the other does not. Both cost the same so I don't see much point in getting the one without just in case you want to add it later. Note, the OEM ipod module is NOT compatible with the OEM NAV.
Ipod Module P/N C29179CFZ ~$113.60
Install w/ sirius P/N C9F4V6029 ~$86.40
Install w/o sirius P/N C9F1V6029 ~$86.40

[hr]
[size=18pt]Ipod Integration:[/size]
[size=8pt]Full integration of an ipod via the stereo controls, and charges the ipod via the dock connector[/size]
[hr]

[size=8pt](Note: Song info. is NOT displayed on HU LCD screen with the following modules)[/size]

Audio Link / x car link- Comes in choice of two different modules. The ipod module connects through a dock connector, whereas the USB/Mp3 module replaces the ipod connector with a USB port and Secure Digital card slot so you can play songs directly from a USB drive or SD card. Both options come with a 3.5mm line input for other devices. Connects through the sirius/CD changer jack on the back of the HU. Option of playlist mode (controlled by stereo), or direct control via the ipod. As of Summer of 2009 there is a newer module available which works with newer ipods/iphone 3G/S ~$125 Discussion
*Adapters: [size=8pt]ipod version have multiple options of adapter cables depending on your input/output needs.Pick the adapter that best meets your needs[/size]

Standard connector:
  • dock connector, plus 3.5mm audio input
Optional connectors: [size=8pt](+$5.00. For use with video ipods)[/size]
  • dock connector, plus RCA video output (No 3.5mm input)

• dock connector, plus RCA video output, plus 3.5mm audio input

Aux Mod Advanced- In Beta testing. Will give full ipod integration with steering wheel controls. Provides a 3.5mm line in with connections to a dock connector. Should display ID3 tag information on the HU LCD. Should also integrate with WinAmp. connects through the Tape/MD jack on the bottom of the HU. ~$150
[size=8pt](Note: price and features tentative, unit not yet released)[/size]

DICE w/o text- Connects to the sirius/CD changer jack on the back of the HU. Provides a 3.5mm auxiliary input for other devices. ~$159

Grom Audio ipod- Connects to the sirius/CD changer jack on the back of the HU. Option of playlist mode (controlled by stereo), or direct control via the ipod. As of 12/01/2008 the GROM-IPD2 is available which fixes the compatibility issues with newer ipods/iphones not charging. ~$75 Discussion

Neo Prolink w/o Text- Ipod is never locked out. Connects to the sirius/CD changer jack on the back of the HU. Also provides 3.5mm input for other devices. ~$199

Mazda ipod adapter '04-'07 (P/N C23679CFZ)- Connects to the sirius/CD changer jack on the back of the HU. Ipod is disabled while connected to the adapter, and can only be controlled from the stereo controls. ~$119.20

[hr]
[size=18pt]Ipod Integration with External Screens:[/size]
[size=8pt]Control of an ipod via a remote control unit[/size]
[hr]

[size=8pt](Note: Song info. is NOT displayed on HU LCD screen, all info. is displayed on the external LCD)[/size]

Alpine eX-10- Similar to the Drive and Play II (see above) the ex-10 provides you with an external screen and controller for your ipod. It connects to any ipod with a dock connector and charges the ipod. All your song information is displayed on the 2.4" full color screen as well as CD cover art (if applicable), and the screen has an option for a blue or red background. The eX-10 connects to the HU via the built in high power FM transmitter, or by direct connection to an existing auxiliary input through it's 3.5mm output. In addition to iPod integration, the eX-10 communicates with your compatible bluetooth cell phone automatically to provide hnds-free calling. You hear callers over your car speakers, or through the eX-10's built-in speaker if you're listening to a CD, and they hear you via the included microphone. All of the important caller info shows up on the eX-10's display. If you have music stored on your phone, you can stream that through the eX-10, too. The eX-10 mounts to the dash through an included suction cup, though I imagine other mounting methods will be tried. At the low price it offers all the benefits of the DnP II without the hefty pricetag. ~$199

Harmon Kardon Drive 'n Play- Provides an external backlit LCD which shows the familiar screen from your ipod. Control of the ipod is through a round knob which functions the same way as your ipod's click wheel. Connects to the ipod through the dock connector, and charges the ipod during use. Has a built in wireless FM transmitter, optional wired FM modulator (see below), and a 3.5mm audio output for hardwire connection to an existing auxiliary input. ~$25 Installed Picture #1, Installed Picture #2

Harmon Kardon Drive 'n Play II- Offers the same features as the Drive 'n Play I with some changes. The new version gives you a 3.5" high definition color screen, and both the screen and controller are wireless. The module's "brain" is bluetooth capable for integration with phones or other BT devices, and the new music DJ features allow you to organize your music similarly to that of sirius or regular radio stations. All these improvements come at a premium though. The Gen. II will run you about $291.

[hr]
[size=18pt]Accesories:[/size]
[size=8pt]Various and asundry adapters, connectors, etc.[/size]
[hr]

Kuda leather console mount- Cleanly mounts to the side of your center console and allows you to mount any device on the end. Conceals all wires and leaves no drillied holes in the car when removed. Installed Pictures

ipod cradle w/ video out- Provides a mounting solution for your ipod. Connects to the ipod via the dock connector, and you simply plug the dock connector wire from your integration method into the dock to connect it. There is a 3.5mm video output on the back of the dock. Includes 4 interchangeable iPod holders to perfectly match the fit and style of most iPods including 3G/4G, Video, mini and nano. ~$59.99. Note: This cradle is also sold by Kuda (see Kuda leather console mount)

OEM input switch box (P/N TD1379CFZ)- For 2007 models with the ACI. Allows you to plug the ACI, as well as one of the following: sirius, phatbox, OEM ipod adapter, etc. into the HU via the sirius/CD changer jack. ~$113.60
[size=8pt] (Note: One input on the switch box works only with the ACI)[/size]

Harmon Kardon Drive 'n Play wired FM modulator- Connects to the Drive 'n Play through the 3.5mm audio output, and then connects to the antenna input on the HU. When in use the exterior antenna is disconnected for improved sound over a wireless FM transmitter. ~$20 (w/ free shipping from www.amazon.com)
[size=8pt](Note: This device is not specific to the Drive 'n Play and will work with any device with a 3.5mm output)[/size]
icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
RB
F1 Driver

Default Re: Auxiliary audio inputs, and ipod integration options UPDATED 01/10/09

Thanks icspots.

and I dun look mexican, do I?
[/quote]
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:06 AM   #3
icspots
Super Moderator

Default Re: Auxiliary audio inputs, and ipod integration options UPDATED 01/10/09

[quote author=RB link=topic=62624.msg1072741#msg1072741 date=1163775719]
Thanks icspots.
[/quote]

Happy to help
Old 11-17-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
DrWebster

[quote author=icspots link=topic=62624.msg1072726#msg1072726 date=1163775345]
OEM ACI (Auxillary Console Input)- Line in only. The 2007 US model comes with an auxillary 3.5mm audio input mounted in the center console standard. Connects to the stereo through the sirius/CD changer port on the back of the HU. No word yet on cost, or if retrofitting to older models will even be possible.
[/quote]

I've done some research on this, and it *appears* to be possible to retrofit the center console aux-in into older 3's. However, it is not very feasible, as it requires replacing the entire center console. The part in the arm rest where the audio and power jacks are mounted to is an integral part of the console, not an added-in piece. My dealer parts guy estimates at least $500 for a new center console with the wiring you'd need. So technically possible, yes, but not feasible in the least.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
icspots
Super Moderator

[quote author=DrWebster link=topic=62624.msg1072799#msg1072799 date=1163777181]
[quote author=icspots link=topic=62624.msg1072726#msg1072726 date=1163775345]
OEM ACI (Auxillary Console Input)- Line in only. The 2007 US model comes with an auxillary 3.5mm audio input mounted in the center console standard. Connects to the stereo through the sirius/CD changer port on the back of the HU. No word yet on cost, or if retrofitting to older models will even be possible.
[/quote]

I've done some research on this, and it *appears* to be possible to retrofit the center console aux-in into older 3's. However, it is not very feasible, as it requires replacing the entire center console. The part in the arm rest where the audio and power jacks are mounted to is an integral part of the console, not an added-in piece. My dealer parts guy estimates at least $500 for a new center console with the wiring you'd need. So technically possible, yes, but not feasible in the least.
[/quote]

The initial info. on this was before any p/n information had come out for the 2007s which is why I didn't have any more information on it.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
Staszek
Short Track Racer

This is a great update thanks.

Looks like the only way I can go is with the Aux Mod Basic if I want an line input and keep my OEM Sirius.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #7
icspots
Super Moderator

[quote author=Staszek link=topic=62624.msg1106477#msg1106477 date=1165961374]
This is a great update thanks.

Looks like the only way I can go is with the Aux Mod Basic if I want an line input and keep my OEM Sirius.
[/quote]

Assuming you don't have the '07 ACI then, yes the AuxMod is the only input option that does not use the port on the back of the HU.

Glad I could help.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #8
autoxer
Le Mans: Prototype Class

good info, thanks...but alittle hard to read with the massive text...lol

I have been holding out on getting an iPod to hopefully get a kit that will display the info on the HU screen...but i've given up...i just want to hear my damn music now...NOW NOW NOW
Old 12-20-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
icspots
Super Moderator

[quote author=AutoXer link=topic=62624.msg1112732#msg1112732 date=1166555010]
good info, thanks...but alittle hard to read with the massive text...lol

I have been holding out on getting an iPod to hopefully get a kit that will display the info on the HU screen...but i've given up...i just want to hear my damn music now...NOW NOW NOW
[/quote]

:lmao:

OMFG! Yeah, ummmm the big text would be entirely the fault of the the new forum software. I'm now in the process of fixing it. <sigh>
Old 12-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #10
autoxer
Le Mans: Prototype Class

nice save, blame the forums....

ahhh mo bettah
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > 2004-2009 Electronics Discussion > Technical Information, FAQ's, How-To's, Installations