White Substance on Exhaust Tip - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #1
OCm3
Go-Kart Driver

Default White Substance on Exhaust Tip

My 2006 (12,000 miles, hatch, no mods) has a white powdery looking substance building up on the exhaust tip. Its not real thick, and not powdery enough that it comes off on my finger, but the inside of my exhaust tip is certainly white. I thought I saw a thread about this some time ago, but can't seem to find it again (maybe I just imagined it?).

1) Is this normal?
2) If not normal, what may the problem be?
3) If a picture would help, I can take one and post it.

Thanks.
OCm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #2
ViperKillerWannabe
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via AIM to ViperKillerWannabe
Default Re: White Substance on Exhaust Tip

White is a new one for me. I keep having to wipe black soot off the tip.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
azazel1024

Burning any oil? White buildup within the exhaust stream (exhaust tip, oxygen sensor, etc) is generally a sign of burning oil. That is the left over phosphor residue that is left when oil burns (that is what clogs O2 sensors and catalytic converters on vehicles that burn a lot of oil). Don't freak yet though. It could have another cause. Just monitor your oil use, if it is more then about a half quart in 5000 miles that is abnormal.
-Matt
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
Sunlight Bullet
Moped Rider

I too own an 06 with about 5000 miles on it. I have noticed some white deposits in the tailpipe at the bottom. They are mostly circular in appearance and I attribute them to 2 things. The amount of condensation that comes out of the tailpipe is great and from washing the car especially around the tailpipe area the soap residue stays around and when it evaporates I beleive it leaves these circular deposits as well as what combustion partculate is in the condensate. Certainly it deserves to be monitered but I believe if it was from oil consumption you would see other signs such as previously stated large oil consumption or smoke. Just my opinion.
Sunlight Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
halo19
Grand Am Series

Send a message via AIM to halo19 Send a message via Yahoo to halo19

My guess is the local crack addict likes to do lines off the inside of your pipe! :P

Other than that, I've heard that white smoke (I know, smoke, not powder) can be caused by coolant/anti-freeze or water coming out the tail pipe. There is a chance that the white smoke was caused by water splashing up from a puddle onto the exhaust pipe. Or, it could be tranny fluid but not sure how that would get in there...

Let me ask you this: Do you happen to use Mr. Clean Auto Dry when washing your car? I stay away from that like the plague...I notice that whatever is in it to help it evaporate the water off the car stays on the car, so if you happened to get that on your exhaust pipe, perhaps the stuff is trying to oxidize any water/condensation that's built up and thereby leaves some powdery white residue?

Just a thought...good luck!

05 Titanium Grey Hatch | ARK Exhaust System | Mazdaspeed CAI | Mazdaspeed Struts | Eibach Pro-kit | Sok07 Deadpedal | JL Audio
halo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:02 AM   #6
OCm3
Go-Kart Driver

As far as I can tell I'm not burning any oil (pretty sure, but it can be darn hard to tell with these 06 dip sticks + synthetic oil). I cleaned it off (just took a bit of rubbing), so I will see if/when it returns.

Quote:
Let me ask you this: Do you happen to use Mr. Clean Auto Dry when washing your car? I stay away from that like the plague...I notice that whatever is in it to help it evaporate the water off the car stays on the car, so if you happened to get that on your exhaust pipe, perhaps the stuff is trying to oxidize any water/condensation that's built up and thereby leaves some powdery white residue?
No Mr. Clean (or any other auto dry) just a bunch of microfiber towels. But I did wash it recently, perhaps some soap somehow got in the tail pipe? (I have no idea how that would happen, but I guess it could...)
Old 09-06-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
azazel1024

If it is inside the tail pipe it could be from washing the car, especially if you use the spray on waxes and it gets up in there. More likely inside the tail pipe is from combustion products.

If it is outside the tail pipe or maybe just barely on the inside rim it could be from road salt, road dirt splashed on it, or a number of other things.
-Matt
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
OCm3
Go-Kart Driver

Well I went out this morning and found the white stuff back. I actually don't think I got it off before, I thought I had rubbed it off, but it was getting dark and the damp cloth just disguised it.

Anyway, I doubt that it's soap since it seems to not come off very easily, and you can see how evenly it is coating the inside of the pipe.

I live about 30 miles inland, but I work within two miles of the ocean (Near Torrance). Perhaps the salty air + humidity is causing the build up?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:37 PM   #9
goldfish
Le Mans: GT Class

Salt shouldn't be doing that inside your tailpipe, I've never seen or heard of that before... I'd say you should check and see if there is water leaking through your tail pipe, excessively after you've been driving a bit. Maybe a lot of condensation leaving deposits of something from your exhaust. I'd ask the dealership and see what BS they say. Heh
goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:56 AM   #10
bkngo
Le Mans: Prototype Class

hmmm... interesting... mine is black at the bottom of my exhaust tip and so is my neighbor. his is completely stock... never had a problem, yet. I will ask the dealer when I bring it in for an oil change in the next couple of weeks.
Injen CAI|BCC|Draxas Headers|F2 HFC|Draxas CBE|DDE|8k Apexcone HID|50/35 Tint|Accolade body kit, eyelids, grill|VG Sharkfin|Xenon Racing Pedals|Redline Boot/E-brake|SCI ETD|Pracing Strut Tower| Racing Beat Front/Rear Sway Bar/End Links|Magnum Cross Drill Rotors|Koni Sport|Tein H-Tech|Continental DWS|17x7 Momo Corse Rpm|Rockford PT1|Rockford Punch 5x7|Rockford Punch P2 8"|Stealth Enclosure|AlpineMRPM450|Audiolink
bkngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Stock Issues