Ignition stuck-key won't rurn - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:29 PM   #1
killerbee
Go-Kart Driver

Default Ignition stuck-key won't rurn

3 times now. twice I pushed in on the release tab on the ignition that you use to take the key out and it turned. This morning nothing, I screwed with the shifter, the wheel, the tab, no turn.
I got out and took the Camaro to work. Came home and it turned as normal.

WTF, I can't have this once the Camaro is in storage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2006, 01:33 AM   #2
japanesepoolboy
Bicycle Rider

Default Re: Ignition stuck-key won't rurn

Had the same problem when I used to drive a ford focus. Eventually the key would not even go in the ignition and the car needed to be towed. The ignition was replaced and all was fine. Hopefully you won't require that though.
japanesepoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
Mello
F1 Driver

Ok so I'm not the only one too. This has happened to me twice, the 2nd time just 2 weeks ago. I put in the key and turn and it won't even go into the ACC slot. It just sits there and refuses to go further. I don't know why it did that?! I had to remove the key and try again about 5 more times and after forcing a little bit it turned.

Release tab button? I've never heard of that, where is it at? Does it make the key turn or what is it for? If the key's stuck?

(Oh and this is my 2,000th post!! WHOOHOOO!!!)
Old 08-27-2006, 02:00 AM   #4
ViperKillerWannabe
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via AIM to ViperKillerWannabe

[quote author=Mello link=topic=55204.msg914562#msg914562 date=1156587367]
Ok so I'm not the only one too. This has happened to me twice, the 2nd time just 2 weeks ago. I put in the key and turn and it won't even go into the ACC slot. It just sits there and refuses to go further. I don't know why it did that?! I had to remove the key and try again about 5 more times and after forcing a little bit it turned.

Release tab button? I've never heard of that, where is it at? Does it make the key turn or what is it for? If the key's stuck?

(Oh and this is my 2,000th post!! WHOOHOOO!!!)
[/quote]

The release tab is on the manuals only. Not sure why though.

On mine, sometimes the key won't turn unless I turn the wheel clockwise a bit while turning the key. Then it seems to make a louder click noise than usual and goes right in.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:36 AM   #5
KoRn
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to KoRn

You have got to be fucken kidding me?!?!?!? I went through this samething with my focus on vacation and left me stranded. I need to get rid of this car asap. In the focus the lock cylinders would break inside. It only happened to me once. But other people have had it happen several times with them.

[quote author=killerbee link=topic=55204.msg914062#msg914062 date=1156555771]
3 times now. twice I pushed in on the release tab on the ignition that you use to take the key out and it turned. This morning nothing, I screwed with the shifter, the wheel, the tab, no turn.
I got out and took the Camaro to work. Came home and it turned as normal.

WTF, I can't have this once the Camaro is in storage.
[/quote]
Mazda 3i 05 Velocity Red Mods: Borla cat back exhaust, SilverStars low&high beam bulbs, Removed side moldings, Red calipers with Mazda 3 logos, 17x7 Exel P-5 gunmetal wheels, 205-50 17 Hankook Ventus Sport K104 tires, Eibach pro kit, Stubby antenna, Satin fuel door, Graphite grey metallic badges, S model taillights
KoRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:43 AM   #6
Mello
F1 Driver

Woah I don't think it's a serious problem man, calm down. I'm not sure what happened with your Focus and the "lock cylinders", but this hasn't caused Mazda to make a TSB or recall. Seems really random.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
KoRn
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to KoRn

^ Ford never done a recall on it either. It started to happen at random and then boom all the time it would happen to a bunch of people. And here is the best part. If you was out of warranty Ford would stiff people with the bill and still is doing that to this day. The bill was in the $250/$300 range if I remember correctly.
Mazda 3i 05 Velocity Red Mods: Borla cat back exhaust, SilverStars low&high beam bulbs, Removed side moldings, Red calipers with Mazda 3 logos, 17x7 Exel P-5 gunmetal wheels, 205-50 17 Hankook Ventus Sport K104 tires, Eibach pro kit, Stubby antenna, Satin fuel door, Graphite grey metallic badges, S model taillights
KoRn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
azazel1024

The only reason why I can think that there is a release tab on the manuals (yes I noticed mine, no I didn't realize that autos didn't have them) is that an auto if not in park you cannot remove your key from the ignition. Possibly the way the ignition is setup in both cars it was easier for them to leave in the ignition key removal lock and the release tab is the quicky fix for it so you can remove the key (but allowing them to basically use the exact same ignition between the two vehicles otherwise.)

Just a thought on that.

Never had it happen to me however. I have seen it and heard about it happening on tons of cars though. sometimes the ignition or the key ends up getting worn and not functioning.
-Matt
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:11 AM   #9
msdossys
Short Track Racer

Send a message via AIM to msdossys

Steering column lock anyone? Seriously, I remember this happening a few times with my old car. You just have to turn the wheel the only direction it will go (just a little), and then the key will turn. Or I could be completely wrong.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:23 AM   #10
azazel1024

[quote author=msdossys link=topic=55204.msg918688#msg918688 date=1156831862]
Steering column lock anyone?* Seriously, I remember this happening a few times with my old car.* You just have to turn the wheel the only direction it will go (just a little), and then the key will turn.* Or I could be completely wrong.
[/quote]

It is possible. I haven't had the steering wheel lock interfer with me turning the key on my 3, but I have had that happen on other cars.
-Matt
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Stock Issues