Ebay intakes? Performance Chips on ebay? Do they really work? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 05:08 AM   #1
ryukensfj
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to ryukensfj
Default Ebay intakes? Performance Chips on ebay? Do they really work?

Hi, I was just wondering if ebay intakes are really that good? Will they really help or will they kill my car. Should I go with a 3in or 2.5in cold air intake? What about those intakes with the ram thing on top? I rather get those instead of the option racing ones. What about those performance chips on ebay that say they will work. Also what about the mufflers that ebay has?

Performance chip: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Bomz Intake:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Option Racing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Muffler 4in:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&rd=1

Muffler 3.5in:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&rd=1

Current mods:F2 turbo kit, F2 exhaust, F2 BSD, F2 oil baffle kit, F2 rear swaybar, N9TH Racing Trunk Brace, KW V2 Coilovers, SPC Rear Camber Links, Medieval RMM, WORKS RSV with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs, FI Grounding Kit, RKM STS, XenonExpert pedals, 15% tint, 35w DDM 6000K HIDs, Interior LEDs, Lamin-X Yellow Fogs, Sharkfin Antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2006, 05:24 AM   #2
KoRn
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to KoRn
Default Re: Ebay intakes? Performance Chips on ebay? Do they really work?

Please stay away from ebay. You get what you pay for. Save up and get a quality intake and exhaust. You wont be sorry.
Mazda 3i 05 Velocity Red Mods: Borla cat back exhaust, SilverStars low&high beam bulbs, Removed side moldings, Red calipers with Mazda 3 logos, 17x7 Exel P-5 gunmetal wheels, 205-50 17 Hankook Ventus Sport K104 tires, Eibach pro kit, Stubby antenna, Satin fuel door, Graphite grey metallic badges, S model taillights
Old 06-15-2006, 05:35 AM   #3
ryukensfj
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to ryukensfj

But isn't Bomz a pretty good company? It's just new right? http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com sells that brand so it should be good right? My friend bought a Bomz for his honda civic and it works great.
Current mods:F2 turbo kit, F2 exhaust, F2 BSD, F2 oil baffle kit, F2 rear swaybar, N9TH Racing Trunk Brace, KW V2 Coilovers, SPC Rear Camber Links, Medieval RMM, WORKS RSV with Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs, FI Grounding Kit, RKM STS, XenonExpert pedals, 15% tint, 35w DDM 6000K HIDs, Interior LEDs, Lamin-X Yellow Fogs, Sharkfin Antenna
Old 06-15-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
AegisDei
Short Track Racer

Send a message via AIM to AegisDei

When Audiobahn (car stereo company) first came out they were scoffed at because they were a brand new company that was rediculously cheap. Nine years later they've established that they can hang with most any decent company and have earned a lot of respect. They still can't hang with the top of the line PG, JL, Mac, Eclipse, etc. but they've always been competitive against 90% of the market, and if you just wanted a noisy stereo in your car they were perfect for any consumer. An true audiophile still won't go audiobahn, and I'd bet Bomz is the same way. If you just want to say you have an intake, get a bit of extra power, improved sound, improved throttle response then I imagine they're fine. If you want to get maximal gains you'll probably want something higher end. So are you a powerphile or just someone wanting a bit of change? Do you want to just do something, or do it the best it can be done?

I'd pee my pants if the chip actually did anything well. My bet is that it's spoofing the ECU into going open-loop all the time; that's the only thing I could think that it'd be able to do, though it could be spoofing IAT instead. True chips cost hundreds b/c of the R&D invested to learn the needed new fuel maps/trims (depending on chip and application) and the hardware needed to support the software. For $25 it may not hurt to try it, even post your report on it, though preferably get a dyno, A:F ratio, and IAT so I can confirm my hunch please.

Again, I don't want to be repetitive, but usually you do get what you pay for. If you truly can't afford the best and have an irresistable urge, then it doesn't hurt. An ebay grounding kit, an ebay intake, and ebay chip could be had for $100 and may give you 5+whp, which is a good deal. However, if Bean (member on the forum that does a lot of mod testing) spends $600 on F2 intake, BCC, and a piggyback ECU module he'll probably net 15whp with the same mods. Is 3x the power worth 6x the cost? That's a question for each person to decide themself and I won't fault you for saying "no", but then again you'll see nothing but my tail-lights and empty wallet because I say "yes".
Old 06-15-2006, 09:29 AM   #5
BigTrucker
F1 Driver

ebay cheap parts = death to your car
Old 06-15-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
swthug598
Short Track Racer

dude it makes sence if all the intakes cost in the 2 hundreds HOW THE FUCK IS THE EBAY THT COST 50$ gonna b good
Old 06-15-2006, 10:00 AM   #7
AegisDei
Short Track Racer

Send a message via AIM to AegisDei

BTW, WTF is that thing? Michelin man? I thought that was trademarked. Stay Puft (Ghost Busters)? Some funky sheep on exctasy?
Old 06-15-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
mz3szoomzoom
Administrator

Search please.

Closed Thread

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Modifications