Clutch / brake fluid level - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:44 AM   #1
skullone
Short Track Racer

Send a message via ICQ to skullone Send a message via AIM to skullone Send a message via Yahoo to skullone
Default Clutch / brake fluid level

While I was changing my oil this weekend, I was taking some time to check the level of the rest of the fluids.
Everything looked fine, except the shared clutch / brake fluid level. I cant see any fluid up the plastic stalk at all.
Unless the fluid is clear like water, I cant see anything, and theres a little plastic flap, so I can't stick my finger or a meter stick in there to measure it.
Last I checked, clutch and brake fluid is pretty dark and thick... and the plastic stalk is fairly transparent, so I should defenitely be able to see it.

Nothing even near the "Min" line..
On a side note, I get a "clunk" sound when I engage a gear sometimes... like if I go 1-2, into 2 I get a clunk sometimes. Same with 3-2, downshifting.
Its not all the time, so it could just be the syncros meshing differently depending on where the engagement point is... who knows :?

Any ides?
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 04:52 AM   #2
hate_romania
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via MSN to hate_romania Send a message via Yahoo to hate_romania
Default Re: Clutch / brake fluid level

That reservoir is the worts design ever in the world, if you cannot see it its not normal its hard to read it but its visible.
Don't try to stick anything in the reservoir just go by visual reading, cann't see it add some more

SOLD: Mazda3 2005 Black mica 5dr, CAI AEMwith AEM dryflow, Custom grounding cables, TWM SS, ETB Coolant Bypass, AWR 70d engine mount, Advance Timming Mod,
Cosworth Bsd, The only mazda 3 with dealer removed speed limit yey...230km/h
hate_romania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
manny
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to manny

this is a bit of a bump :shock: but i'm sort of in the same predicament here. Is there a good how to on how to change the fluid out?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
azazel1024

Do you mean add more or flush it?

To add more take top off, top it off, top back on

For flushing, you open each brake line and the clutch line. Do a search for brake bleeding for the exact procedure (it works the same way with the clutch). Start with the passenger side rear, drain the fluid till you have nice fresh fluid coming out. Then bleed the driver's side rear, passenger side front, driver's side front and finally the clutch line.
-Matt
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
cmedrive
Le Mans: GT Class

Its probably a good time to check the brake pads as well, especiallyif you do a flush. As the pad wears the fluid level will drop.
cmedrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
Ramza21
Go-Kart Driver

REVIVE!!! Does anybody know when when to change brake/clutch fluid? Mine has 45k 2008 mzd3.
Ramza21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
verto

Send a message via MSN to verto

it's not a bad idea to do a flush with pad/rotor changes. brake fluid isnt that expensive and the nature of it causes problems if not maintained. specifically absorbing water.
MS CAI - F2 CBE - ACT Flywheel - ACT Clutch - ACT Pressure Plate - MS 6 Speed Trans - TWM Desert Eagle Shift Knob - MS Springs - MS Shocks - MS Rear Camber Links - Techna-fit SS Brake Lines - Hawk HPS Pads - Cosworth BSD - Ported TB - 2.0L Oil Filter Conversion - LED Door Sills - Sharkfin Antenna - 35% Tint
verto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
outtadodge
Moped Rider

brake fluid flushes are usually done around 30k mile intervals. As stated before, if the fluid in the master cylinder is low, that means there is either a leak in the system of the brakes are low and need replacement.
outtadodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Stock Issues