What type of engine does Mazda3 have? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
dL.
Le Mans: GT Class

Default What type of engine does Mazda3 have?

Hi,

I have been getting mixed messages that the Mazda 3 engine is actually a Ford engine? Is that true? Can you guys clarify. It seems scary to know that Mazda 3 is using Ford :S Reliable engine?

Thanks!

dL

Old 02-20-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
igor2
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Re: What type of engine does Mazda3 have?

well there is a debate on this ..

So let's start from the end: Mazda developed the engines and Ford took them to adapt it for Focus, Ranger and Escape, and to use the MZR2.3 straight up for the Milan / Fusion. There is no questions those ford Engines are taken from Mazda.

The unresolved part is how mazda got started.. According to my information Cosworth gave big chunk of its race 4cylinder Duratec engine to Mazda to turn it to a street 4cylinder... Other sources claim that all that Cosworth gave Mazda was casting procedure for the bottom end.. That part is unresolved. Limited Ford involvement actualy does make some sense, as Ford was not intending to used the MZR engine as its corporate 4cylinder.. they had another one in the works - a part of its lineup of modular engines...

However the MZR was so good it became the Duratec - and the FoMoCo-wide 4banger. it is one of the best engine designs around here... it is one of the torqueyest engines and has not obvious reliability issues.. However as an engine that was introduced around 2003 it does not have a long term, high mileage record behind its belt

Finally, please do not confuse Ford North America (Ford NA) with FoMoCo... FoMoCo has spotless reliability record. Unfortunately we do not see much of it in the US for various reasons... FoMoCo's involvement in Mazda was hugely beneficial to Mazda and I have not heard any bad word about what has been happening to Mazda under FoMoCo's leadership.

Igor

Old 02-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
dL.

You see, I am slowly convincing my mom that Mazda3 is a great car, and she is slowly believing it. However, the only dilemma she is facing now is when her friends keep telling her that Mazda3 engine sucks. That drives me nuts. Reason? Oh Ford engine, unreliable, and some even say it's because of "Mazda" since Mazda has had bad reputation from their past vehicles :S You name it.

Personally, I love Mazda3 and I think it's the best bang for your buck automobile out there, as well the best looking exterior and interior, hands down. Second place may be Civic Si, but I won't go into that.

I want some actual proof to show my mom, if possible. Thanks to all!

dL
Old 02-20-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
igor2

[quote author=dL. link=topic=40421.msg588127#msg588127 date=1140487221]
You see, I am slowly convincing my mom that Mazda3 is a great car, and she is slowly believing it. However, the only dilemma she is facing now is when her friends keep telling her that Mazda3 engine sucks. That drives me nuts. Reason? Oh Ford engine, unreliable, and some even say it's because of "Mazda" since Mazda has had bad reputation from their past vehicles :S You name it.

Personally, I love Mazda3 and I think it's the best bang for your buck automobile out there, as well the best looking exterior and interior, hands down. Second place may be Civic Si, but I won't go into that.

I want some actual proof to show my mom, if possible. Thanks to all!

dL
[/quote]

The proofs are out there...

All of reputable auto magazines have been touting the mazda3 ever since it was introduced... CR, JDP, C&D, R&T, MSN, Edmunds, everyone.. wehave had spotless recommendation record...

If you parents are convinced by the "word of mouth" and "word of CR" they should have no issue with Mazda3...

Igor
Old 02-20-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
dL.

Can you provide me with some links, that specifically talk about the engine and its greatness?

dL
Old 02-20-2006, 09:19 PM   #6
igor2

[quote author=dL. link=topic=40421.msg588144#msg588144 date=1140488269]
Can you provide me with some links, that specifically talk about the engine and its greatness?

dL
[/quote]

I will try... but I do not have subscription to CR, so you will have to dig out that on your own... if you do not have subscription, your local public library will have all the issues. CR is also THE best way to convince your parents.. It is the only source of r long term realiability I would dae to use.. most of the others are somwehat shady...Go get the CR report..

Igor
Old 02-20-2006, 09:23 PM   #7
dL.

Any online reviews?

dL
Old 02-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #8
igor2

[quote author=dL. link=topic=40421.msg588157#msg588157 date=1140488621]
Any online reviews?

dL
[/quote]

Sorry I was just editing the first post.. really on long term reliability, I would go with CR...
there are plenty of reviews... but they will not convince you folk about reliability.. .CR does their own testing.. and I know Mazda3 fared well.. I saw an issues a couple monts back..

Other reviews will realy just tell you that the car is nice and rides well.. not really that it will hold up..

I respect Edmunds.. and here is the overview of Mazda3 there..http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/mazd...83/review.html
There is a lot of information in the links around that page..

Igor
Old 02-20-2006, 09:42 PM   #9
Vince8739

These posts where you kids are trying to convince your mommies and daddies to buy you cars are hysterical. Not hating, they're just funny, comically funny, to me.
No go tell your Mommy that Vince's 3 is 23+K and going strong.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:45 PM   #10
dL.

Thanks for your quick reply guys. I might as well ask here as well. For Canada, how come you must include moonroof and a/c when you get luxury package? Can't you just get luxury package with A/C but no moonroof? It's basically forcing you too, according to the Build your vehicle site at mazda.ca

dL

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Models / Trim