how to check exhaust leaks - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
droyal
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to droyal
Default how to check exhaust leaks

I installed my HKS 2 weeks ago. want to check if there are leaks. what should i be looking for. obviously looking at the flanges and gaskets. cause i got my first CEL today. need a diagnostic test to see whats the problem.

Old Car=2004 Mazda3s Hatch
New Car=2004 E46 M3
droyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
AzMs3
F1 Driver

Default Re: how to check exhaust leaks

[quote author=droyal link=topic=39332.msg570240#msg570240 date=1139269433]
I installed my HKS 2 weeks ago. want to check if there are leaks. what should i be looking for. obviously looking at the flanges and gaskets. cause i got my first CEL today. need a diagnostic test to see whats the problem.
[/quote]

An exhaust leak will not cause a CEL.

The easiest way is to safely support the car and feel around and listen to the flanges.
I heard that dusting the flanges with baby power will tell you if there are leaks....I have yet to try that!
And you can unbolt the flanges to see if they sealed good, you will tell if they didn't.
AzMs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #3
droyal

thanks. i looked under the car and everything seems solid. i reset the ecu and the CEL is off for now. is it true autozone or small shops scan the OBD for a small charge cause i really dont want to hit up the dealer with the injen and HKS. another option buy OBD reader for $99. that CEL is really getting to me cause just this past weekend my clutch was slipping and now the CEL. wtf. even in 5th gear and when im slowing down it jerks which it never did. shouldnt be like that if im already in gear. but AzMz3 you turboed your car so you must know a lot about the 3.

New Car=2004 E46 M3
Old 02-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #4
AzMs3
F1 Driver

[quote author=droyal link=topic=39332.msg570389#msg570389 date=1139278117]
thanks. i looked under the car and everything seems solid. i reset the ecu and the CEL is off for now. is it true autozone or small shops scan the OBD for a small charge cause i really dont want to hit up the dealer with the injen and HKS. another option buy OBD reader for $99. that CEL is really getting to me cause just this past weekend my clutch was slipping and now the CEL. wtf. even in 5th gear and when im slowing down it jerks which it never did. shouldnt be like that if im already in gear. but AzMz3 you turboed your car so you must know a lot about the 3.
[/quote]

It is hard to say what is wrong without having it scanned. If you are under warranty you might want to put the stock intake on and see if you still have problems. If so take it in to the dealer.
A scan is a very good thing to have especially if you are modding your car.

I only know what I read on here and in magizines!
AzMs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:54 AM   #5
droyal

well i read about the gas cap and i checked mine. it wasnt even screwed on. i live in jersey so i guess the gas attendant didnt tighten it. but ill wait and see if it comes up again.

New Car=2004 E46 M3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Powertrain 2004-2009 Mazda3 > Powertrain Technical Information, FAQ's, How-To's