Windshield washer fluid in my coolant :| - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:01 AM   #1
DreamLand
Bicycle Rider

Default Windshield washer fluid in my coolant :|

My girlfriend went to fill up the windshield washer fluid and she freaking poured some into the engine cooler compartment.
I was pissed off… but will this harm the coolant, engin or should it dilute … should I be worried ? The car only has 1700km on it..
What should I do ?
DreamLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2005, 02:39 AM   #2
DaveCombs
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Re: Windshield washer fluid in my coolant :|

Giver her a kiss and tell her it's OK; washer fluid is mostly water, and a little alcohol.* You should be fine since your antifreeze is at least half - you guessed it - water.* She couldn't have put that much in there.* Worst case, you could do a drain and refill of the coolant, which will take you maybe 30 minutes.

You could get a coolant tester and see to what temperature this new mix will protect the car.* That is a worthwhile investment regardless, and it will help you decide whether to do the coolant change.

Then take a moment to show her what goes where.* In your car, that is.* Anything else is your business.

BTW, Welcome to the forums!
Old 12-20-2005, 04:30 AM   #3
mamzh
Moped Rider

I filled the coolant into windshield washer tank before. After a while, the windshield washer didn't work.
mamzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:35 AM   #4
icspots
Super Moderator

[quote author=DaveCombs link=topic=35998.msg516520#msg516520 date=1135060745]
Then take a moment to show her what goes where. In your car, that is. Anything else is your business.
[/quote]

:lmao:

I agree with him, most likely it won't do anything. Like mamzh said though you don't want to do it the other way around.
icspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
nocab
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via AIM to nocab

We have way too many posts like this My girlfriend/wife/sister put something somewhere it doesnt go.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:09 AM   #6
GimmeA3s

if she poured it into the reservior, you could always remove the reservior and clean it out....if you haven't driven very far, likely none of the washer fluid has even entered your cooling system yet.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:17 AM   #7
mndsm
F1 Driver

Winshield wiper fluid will in no way harm your coolant. Let me explain.

First off, someone up top said that it's mostly water. This is true. There is a small amount of alcohol in it, but not enough to cause any real harm. Not to mention the fact that in high boost turbo cars, they use alcohol to spray on the intercooler to get additional cooling going on. In most cases they use windshield wiper fluid because it's the perfect dilution of water/alky to make it work right.

Plus what do you think many water cooled Pc's use? It isn't Preston I'll tell you that. I wouldn't worry about it, just keep the GF away from the car.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:36 PM   #8
GimmeA3s

"...just keep the GF away from the car."

Yes, before she puts 5W20 in your brake fluid.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #9
DreamLand
Bicycle Rider

Thanks guys, I figured the worst thing the car would over heat and light on firer: Anyhow I picked up a 2006 Mazda3 2.3 loaded winning blue… I love it !!!
DreamLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #10
CDTMAZDA3
Le Mans: Prototype Class

[quote author=mamzh link=topic=35998.msg516555#msg516555 date=1135067450]
I filled the coolant into windshield washer tank before. After a while, the windshield washer didn't work.
[/quote]

??? I hope you also realize that antifreeze (and brake fluid) can damage your car's painted surfaces...

For your car's sake I sure hope you didn't spray very much coolant through your car's windshield washers before they stopped working!

It would be far less damaging to put windshield washer fluid in the coolant reservoir than it would be to put coolant in the windshield washer reservoir.

Here's another story that shows it may not be a good idea to ask your girlfriend (or anyone who's inexperienced) to work on your car:

A few years ago before they were married my sister-in-law (Leslie) and (now) brother-in-law (Paul) were visiting my wife and I. While they were there, before heading back to school Paul asked Leslie to drain the engine oil from his Mitsubishi while he studied for an exam. After Leslie had drained the oil she (or Paul) poured 4 or 5 quarts of motor oil back into the engine. Afterwards, when Paul took the car out for a test drive as he returned I immediately noticed it was smoking heavily.

So what happened?? As it turns out Leslie had drained the oil from the transmission (instead of from the engine) so during the test drive the car had no oil in the transmission and WAY too much motor oil in the engine! Needless to say, the poor Mistubishi was not happy...*

CDTMAZDA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Mazda3 (Axela)