How-to Guide: Rotor, Brake Pad, and BrakeLine install/replacement (FRONT / REAR) - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
sok07
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via Yahoo to sok07
Default How-to Guide: Rotor, Brake Pad, and BrakeLine install/replacement (FRONT / REAR)

[size=14pt]NOTE: A PDF of the original walkthrough with pics included is available HERE for everyone's use. many thanks to Cab0oze for preserving this for everyone else.[/size] -icspots

The following is a short how-to guide on how to install/replace the Front & Rear rotors & brake pads on a Mazda3s (2.3L).

Quote:
[size=8pt]Use & Disclaimer:
  • Please do not cross-post this how-to guide / walkthrough and its content (pictures, textual information, etc) to any other forums or boards outside of Mazda3forums.com without first requesting & gaining my permission.

• This short how-to should not be used as an all-encompassing walkthrough. It is simply a brief description of my procedures for removal & installation, and I am not responsible for any damages or injuries that may result.
Tools needed....
Jack
Ratchet
breaker bar
14mm and 17mm socket (6-pt sockets preferred) & a 2" extension
7mm hex/allen key
Mallet
Blue loctite

[size=11pt] Front Rotor & Pad Install / Replacement [/size]

2.) Find the two plastic dust caps that are just snapped-on the back of the caliper and remove them. Using the 7mm allen/hex key remove the caliper bolt/pin. To bleed the brake when changing pads, the bleeder valve is circled in orange.

3.) Slide off the caliper and place it on the upright. Using a piece of wire or string tie/hang the caliper on the strut to prevent strain on the brake line. If you are swapping brake pads, the pad closest to you is just held by the caliper mounting bracket. The other pad is clipped to the caliper piston.

5.) The rotor should now be free, so just slide off the stock rotor from the hub/upright. If the rotor doesn't come off easily, it is probably just rusted on. Using a mallet, just tap the along the circumference of the center part of the rotor to jar the rotor free from the hub.

9.) Slide the caliper over the outer brakepad and rotor. If you can't slide the caliper on, you may have to open up the bleeder valve and compress the piston. In my case w/ a simple rotor change w/ no brake pad swap...I didn't have to compress the piston and bleed the brakes. Lube & reinstall the two caliper bolt/pin, reinstall the dust cap, and spring clip. Finally, remove the lugnut and spacer that you used to hold the rotor in place.
If you have opened up the valve to slide the caliper on, make sure to bleed the brakes to remove any air-bubbles from the brake line/system.

====================================

[size=11pt] Rear Rotor & Pad Install / Replacement [/size]

3.) Slide off the caliper and place it somewhere as to not put any excessive strain on the brakeline. In my case, I just gently wedged it between the shock and a nearby strip of flanged sheet metal in the wheelwell. If you are swapping brake pads, the pad closest to you is just held by the caliper mounting bracket. The other pad is clipped to the caliper piston.

5.) The rotor should now be free, so just slide off the stock rotor from the hub/upright. If the rotor doesn't come off easily, it is probably just rusted on. Using a mallet, just tap the along the circumference of the center part of the rotor to jar the rotor free from the hub.

8.) Install the brakepad. Simply place the outer pad on the caliper mount bracket. The inner pad needs to be slid into place on the piston. Note the flange on the piston and the clips on the back of the pad.

9.) Slide the caliper over the outer brakepad and rotor. If you can't slide the caliper on, you may have compress the piston. To do this you will have to either get a special brake tool from and auto parts store, or simply use a needle-nose pliers to rotate the piston. On the piston you will see two circluar indentions. Place the tips of the pliers in the indentions and rotate the piston clockwise to compress it back into the caliper.

11.) After completing the install & remounting the wheels, get into the car and engage and disengage the e-brake a few times. The rear brakes are self-adjusting, and it will calibrate/align the piston by the use of the e-brake.

[size=11pt] Techna-fit Braided SS Brake Lines - (Front) [/size]
1.) Check the brake fluid level, top off if necessary. Jack up car and remove wheel. Using a flat-head screwdriver and mallet remove the clips holding the brake line to the strut and to the frame mounted brake line bracket.

3.) Using a 16mm open end wrench to hold the top and a 10mm flare nut wrench to turn the bottom nut, to loosen the compression fitting. Unscrew the bottom 10mm flare nut until it is disconnected from the rubber brake line.

5.) Slide the retaining collar up the brake line and insert it into the brake line clip on the strut. Using a 13mm flare nut wrench, attach/tighten the flare nut to the caliper. Gently pull on the section between the strut mount and the caliper to ensure that there is a just a little slack in the brake line, this is to ensure that there is no strain on the lines when the wheels are turned. Re-install the (2) brake line retaining clips on the strut and the frame bracket.

Quote:
[size=8pt]Use & Disclaimer:
  • Please do not cross-post this how-to guide / walkthrough and its content (pictures, textual information, etc) to any other forums or boards outside of Mazda3forums.com without first requesting & gaining my permission.

• This short how-to should not be used as an all-encompassing walkthrough. It is simply a brief description of my procedures for removal & installation, and I am not responsible for any damages or injuries that may result.

2009 Mazdaspeed3
Cobb AP | Cobb DP | Cobb bpv | Tubular exMani | PTP hpfp internals | RPMC turbo inlet | 3.5" core ETS TMIC | EliteEngineering PCV catchcan | CPE Trans/Pass MM | TWM SS | SU RMM | Cobb R anti-swaybar | H&R coilovers | Porsche997 bixenon projector | bosch h3 projector foglights | ...etc, etc
2003 Toyota MR2 spyder
1973 MGB GT
sok07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 09:23 PM   #2
Oricle

Default Re: How-to Guide : Front Rotor & Brake Pad install/replacement

just as easy as i thought. BTW what did you use to clean off the rotors with when you first got them? and will one of those caliper piston compressor work when installing new pads?
Old 10-25-2005, 09:26 PM   #3
DaveCombs

Well done - apparently you won the race.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #4
Oricle

the race was for the whole job, hes only half done
Old 10-25-2005, 09:29 PM   #5
DaveCombs

As good as that looks, I'll be joining that race soon. For piston compression, I usually use the "Old Brake Pad and Big-Ass C-Clamp" method.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:31 PM   #6
sok07

I just sprayed and wiped them down them using brake/caliper cleaner and a rag.

to compress the piston, if you don't have a 'caliper piston compressor'... open up the bleeder valve, and you can compress the piston by using either a large c-clamp or wedge a long bar/screwdriver and work the piston in. For the rear pads you will have to actually rotate the piston to compress it into the caliper. This can be done by using some needle-nose pliers

2009 Mazdaspeed3
Cobb AP | Cobb DP | Cobb bpv | Tubular exMani | PTP hpfp internals | RPMC turbo inlet | 3.5" core ETS TMIC | EliteEngineering PCV catchcan | CPE Trans/Pass MM | TWM SS | SU RMM | Cobb R anti-swaybar | H&R coilovers | Porsche997 bixenon projector | bosch h3 projector foglights | ...etc, etc
2003 Toyota MR2 spyder
1973 MGB GT
Old 10-25-2005, 09:36 PM   #7
Oricle

do you get any squeaking from the new rotors, or will that be more related to the pads?

i bought some brake stop squeak spray incase it becomes a problem when i install my upgrades.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:39 PM   #8
sok07

no squeaks or squeals....I'm pretty sure it's pad related.

I'll go ahead and concede defeat, and leave Oricle to add to this how-to guide and write up the rear rotor and pad install/replacement. That way the both of us can take credit.

2009 Mazdaspeed3
2003 Toyota MR2 spyder
1973 MGB GT
Old 10-25-2005, 09:43 PM   #9
Oricle

haha, me doing a walk through for something i just reverse engineered not knowing if i did it right. i think i will hold off the embarrassment and let you finish the job.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:56 PM   #10
bookeem
F1 Driver

good job Dan, im sure that how to will come in handy..

lil tip though, instead of opening the bleeder screw to allow the piston to go back in, just take the cap off the brake fluid resivior, it releases the pressure, and u dont have to worry about air getting in the brake lines...
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > Suspension / Brakes > Suspension / Brakes Technical Information, FAQ's, How-To's