New Aux-Input Avaliable (Aux Mod Basic) - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:20 PM   #1
wt12435
Le Mans: GT Class

Default New Aux-Input Avaliable (Aux Mod Basic)

I've kind of been following the development of this little device for awhile over on the rx8club.com forums, and it looks like its actually going to work.

It's rather tricky how it works actually. It plugs into the stock stereo where you would normally hook up the factory tape or mini-disc players. You just have to hit the Tape/MD button and the deck will swtich over to play whatever you have hooked up.

Anyways I thought this might be an interesting alternative to the aux-in hack that involves soldering or the P.I.E. solution that is much more expensive, as this one only runs for $50. They are working on another unit for $100 that will allow you to control your ipod the same as P.I.E. unit, but that one won't be out for awhile from the sounds of it. The website is http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/ if anyone is interested. From the reviews I have read it seems to work very well. I'm thinking that at some point I will get this and do away with my previous aux-hack. It was extremely cheap but it gets annoying sometimes when you have to remember to put the blank cd on repeat and your music cuts out in the middle of a song.
wt12435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
Badger Biker
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via AIM to Badger Biker
Default New Aux-Input Avaliable

VERY cool info! A lot smaller than the PIE Module as well.

Visit these guys ... they rock!!! mazda3online.com [size=7px]AND[/size] NSN Motorsports
Badger Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:05 PM   #3
wt12435
Le Mans: GT Class

Yeah it is smaller than the PIE module, infact over on the rx8club site there is somebody that has the PIE and this aux thing both installed and they both still work. So if you already have the PIE and want to install a satellite radio or something you can use this.
wt12435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:59 PM   #4
HairlessBeachApe
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via AIM to HairlessBeachApe Send a message via MSN to HairlessBeachApe Send a message via Yahoo to HairlessBeachApe

This looks promising.

I like the idea of using the Tape/MD input instead of slapping CD a second time. Just seems cleaner to me :-)
Old 03-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
archmikus
Moped Rider

Send a message via AIM to archmikus

This little AuxMod, as they call it, looks very interesting. I emailed the company requesting more information and asked about estimated availability. Hopefully I'll be able to try this out and post my impressions of the device here on these boards.
archmikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 01:29 PM   #6
Raptor
Short Track Racer

Send a message via MSN to Raptor

I<m on the list to get one in the next couple of weeks.

Actually I<ll be the first 3 this is tested on.

So I,ll be the guinea pig i guess :P

Anyway I<ll let you guys know of my impression
Old 03-18-2005, 08:11 PM   #7
rconn2
Short Track Racer

Yes v. interested. The PIE's are on backorder and I've ordered one, but this looks better -- smaller and don't have to figure out where to put it, and that it works w/ the Tape mode... and 1/2 the price.

I'll cancel the PIE if you report success.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:32 AM   #8
Davezor
Bicycle Rider

This looks like a perfect solution. Very small and discrete. I hope their proper ipod solution isnt too far away.

Im probably going to wait a few months to buy my 3 (hold out for better pricing, new models?), so hopefully it will be available by then.
Davezor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 08:40 AM   #9
rconn2
Short Track Racer

Agree. Just came across it last night. Think I'll just cancel my PIE.

Also agree about waiting a few months... may as well check out the 2006 models. My old car had no heater and I had just made it thru winter so I was going to do the same... then it conked out and I had already been thinking sp23, and found one.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #10
Rob_Ocelot
Moped Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by "wt12435"
Yeah it is smaller than the PIE module, infact over on the rx8club site there is somebody that has the PIE and this aux thing both installed and they both still work. So if you already have the PIE and want to install a satellite radio or something you can use this.
It appears to work because each adapter identifies itself on the bus as a different device. PIE uses EX1 (external) and it looks like this device uses the MD identifier. Great that they work together!

I had a different need for two audio inputs, as i wanted to have an iPOD playing and have a second audio input cut in over the music (eg a Pocket PC with GPS software speaking navi directions). My solution was to wire a simple passive mixer circuit to the input of of the PIE box. With two devices plugged in there's only about a 10-15% loss of volume, which is to be expected. Passive mixer schematics are pretty easy to find on the net, and all you really need are 2kOhm reisistors to prevent any signal from feeding back into either device.

With this new little box though I can have a third selectable device..... hmmmm... :-)
Rob_Ocelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > 2004-2009 Electronics Discussion > Technical Information, FAQ's, How-To's, Installations