mazda reliability - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:25 AM   #1
nabeel
Bicycle Rider

Default mazda reliability

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a Mazda3 (used, < 15k miles), but I was concerned primarily about reliability...

I know Toyotas are known for their long lasting quality and reliabily..how does Mazda fair? Would later mileages have lots of problems and things that, assuming the car is taken care of and things like that. I mean like anything..mechanical breakdowns, I've tried researching. bu tyou know, american cars are notorious and I know friends whos cars are already falling apart and they only have about 30-40k miles on them.

I'm deciding between a 3 or a corolla, though I like the 3 so much better
nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2005, 12:54 AM   #2
vthokie
Moped Rider

Default Re: mazda reliability

I think Mazda is pretty much middle of the pack when it comes to reliability. I've heard some discouraging reports of problems with the Mazda 6. I believe the North American Mazda 6 is built in Michigan. I don't know if the Japanese built cars are any better. I don't really know how Mazda has fared in Consumer Reports' latest surveys, or JD Powers or any of the others, so I'll defer to those who are more knowledgeable on the subject.

As for American cars, my 1997 Saturn SL2 currently has 205,000 miles on it and it has been very reliable. But in '97, Saturn still had its own engineering staff and the Spring Hill, TN plant was still operating more like a Japanese factory. Now that Saturn is selling rebadged General Motors stuff, I think the reliability has suffered greatly. The Saturn L Series, a modified Opel Vectra built in Delaware, was a disaster. GM overall is improving though. Ford not as much (which makes you wonder about Mazda and Volvo), and DaimlerChrysler is probably the worst. But I digress...
vthokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:27 AM   #3
quiksilverx181
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to quiksilverx181
Default Re: mazda reliability

Quote:
Originally Posted by "nabeel"
I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a Mazda3 (used, < 15k miles), but I was concerned primarily about reliability...

I know Toyotas are known for their long lasting quality and reliabily..how does Mazda fair? Would later mileages have lots of problems and things that, assuming the car is taken care of and things like that. I mean like anything..mechanical breakdowns, I've tried researching. bu tyou know, american cars are notorious and I know friends whos cars are already falling apart and they only have about 30-40k miles on them.

I'm deciding between a 3 or a corolla, though I like the 3 so much better
my cousin's name is nabeel too, and hes also looking for a 3 . Mazda's reliability is pretty good, especially for the 3. Results should start coming up within a year or so confirming it. I have owned 4 Mazda's and i have to say, all of them were ALMOST up there with toyota in terms of reliability. It has my vote.
Old 02-16-2005, 03:06 AM   #4
Rytoka
Short Track Racer

I hate my 3... lol Next Saturday I'm selling it for a Scion TC. My 3 has rattles ALL over the interior really bad. Other problems also is happening I can feel it. I had a corolla and it never rattled once and I took that thing apart and put it back together. This car... blah..
Infinity speakers in front (Tweeters & Mid) - Polk in rear - Alpine Amp + 10' Sub / Honda Element Stubby! / Clear Bra (Entire Front Bumper + Mirrors) / LED tail lights in reverse housing
Rytoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:21 AM   #5
trumf
Short Track Racer

In Europe, Mazda is known as one of the top reliability brand. It is rated as the same level as Mercedes, Audi & BMW (16/20) under the top which is Toyota (17/20).
For my experience, I have no problem at this time, the only thing was a squeeking seat but it has been fixed at the 20000kms service.

So, I think it's a very good choice regarding the sell price...
Old 02-16-2005, 08:44 AM   #6
vdk
Moped Rider

Mazda's new batch of cars ie. 6, 3, 2 and rx8 was apparently partly a result of a new Mazda CEO wanting to 'turn over' the company. I remember thinking a few years ago Mazda being just another Jap car brand below Honda and Toyota. However, their redesigned cars certainly changed my perceptions. Certainly, they wont match Honda and Toyota for reliabilty, but remember, I owned a Honda prelude, and replacement parts are $%^@# to replace even though they had good reliability.

"The greatest risk you can take in life is not to risk it all."

Live in Brisbane? Own a Mazda 3 or 6? Then contact me for a Mazda fan gathering.
vdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:06 AM   #7
brad481
Short Track Racer

I've owned a '93 Mazda Protege and now my 04 Mazda3.

My '93 5spd. had 148,000 and was finally starting to leak oil and in need of a new head gasket most likely. It would have its average repairs as time goes by, shaving the rotors to even them out, a new muffler, other misc things. The head gasket/oil leaking was the first major thing to hit that car, and since I had already been saving for a new car, I figure it was time to let it go. The mazda dealership gave me $500 for it as a trade-in, a fair deal I suppose.

Overall i'm very happy with Mazda's quality and dependability from my personal experience.

http://bradboob.textamerica.com
brad481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #8
nabeel
Bicycle Rider

It seems some eople have probs and some don't also from reading on the forums...I guess you get lucky in some cases..
I'll have to think about it, but I still want a 3
nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
trumf
Short Track Racer

Have you heard about all the electonical issues on all new Mercedes models ? For such prices, it's a shame...
Old 02-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #10
totlpkg
Le Mans: GT Class

The reality is that most new ars are going to have quirks. Hell, I'm sure there are people that own Mercedes that have had issues with their new cars. No car is flawless. Sure Toyota has great reliability but their cars are boring as hell. If you want to blend in with the every other car on the road, buy the Corolla. I love my 3. In fact, I was walking out of the post office this morning and as I was approaching the car, I thought to myself "That is a sweet car." It just looked so damned good! Prior to my 3, I've owned Hondas, Toyotas, and Nissans and I've had issues with all of them and I'm sure there will be some issues with the 3. All you can do is maintain the car, read and learn from the knowledgable people on these forums and don't do stupid shyte with your car and you'll hopefully get some decent longevity out of it.

DON'T BUY THE BORING ASS COROLLA!!!!! :x

Black S 4-dr./manual/sport/abs/moonroof/6-disc/11.04 build
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Mazda3 (Axela)