OEM xenon color temperature? - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-09-2004, 01:34 PM   #1
andy92782
Moped Rider

Send a message via AIM to andy92782
Default OEM xenon color temperature?

Does anyone know how "hot" the OEM xenons are? I also have a Honda S2000 with factory xenons and the S2K's xenons are considerably brighter/hotter, if you know what I mean. The light is whiter. I also used to own a BMW equipped with factory xenons and those were hotter as well. I have to admit that I'm less than impressed with the Maz3's xenons. Kinda wish they had more punch, for lack of a better term.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2004, 03:21 PM   #2
midnightfxgt
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via ICQ to midnightfxgt Send a message via MSN to midnightfxgt

You are expecting the Mazda3's lighting system to be on par with cars which cost more than double, or even triple what the 3 costs? :shrug:. I would understand if the Civic came with Xenons and were better.... sorry, but I cant help ya man

~JOHN
midnightfxgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:03 PM   #3
andy92782
Moped Rider

Send a message via AIM to andy92782

Quote:
Originally Posted by "midnightfxgt"
You are expecting the Mazda3's lighting system to be on par with cars which cost more than double, or even triple what the 3 costs? :shrug:. I would understand if the Civic came with Xenons and were better.... sorry, but I cant help ya man

~JOHN
Well.. yeah, I am! The xenon option on a Mazda3 costs the same as the xenon option on a BMW 330i. The fact that the 330i has a base price twice as high as the Mazda3 has nothing to do with it. And yeah, I know that the $700 I spent on xenons also got me the TPMS system but the BMW gets bi-xenons (high-beams as well as low) and also automatic leveling that the Mazda doesn't get, so in the end it's a wash. But even the BMW xenons aren't as good as the ones they put on the Honda S2K. The S2K's headlights are simply awesome.. the best of any car out there.

I'd be willing to wager that if I can swap out the xenon bulb elements on the Mazda3's OEM headlights for aftermarket units with a hotter color temperature I'd probably be happier.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:17 PM   #4
Monkey_3
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Send a message via MSN to Monkey_3

Shouldn't the "best" temp be at 4100k?
That should give you the whitest color which BMW/Benz has it at.
Anything higher would give you more of a purple color which i've seen in the S2K.
Monkey_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 12:08 PM   #5
DJ Paolo
Go-Kart Driver

i have 4100k D2S bulbs in my ford focus I am willing to part out. They are not re-based bulbs, they are for D2S lights only.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:46 AM   #6
TxAggies07
Short Track Racer

Send a message via AIM to TxAggies07 Send a message via MSN to TxAggies07

Arent pretty much all OEM xenons made by 1 of 2 companies. I know one popular bulb is the Philips. I just thought pretty much all OEM bulbs were the same from car to car. I think the difference might come in the design of the housings.
Plan on buying a Titanium Grey Mazda 3 2.3S
TxAggies07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:15 PM   #7
Xenon
Grand Am Series

Send a message via MSN to Xenon

Usually OEM is somewhere between 4100 K and 4300 K.

I know the Japanese use 4100 K, BMW uses 4300 K and Mercedes uses I htink 4500 K

You can tell by colour, the higher the number the more the colour fades from white to blue to purple.

6000 K is a purplish colour.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:43 PM   #8
RedRaptor
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Does that mean that 6000k kit gives off less light on the road? I don't mind the purple tint to HIDs...actually the Audis that I see have a purple tint to them.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:07 PM   #9
01aww18t
Short Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by "RedRaptor"
Does that mean that 6000k kit gives off less light on the road? I don't mind the purple tint to HIDs...actually the Audis that I see have a purple tint to them.
The blue-purple you see from BMW's, MB's etc are due to the optics of the projector system (ie. the lens). The best light output from a hid bulb will be in the 4100 - 4300k range and this is what most car manufacturers use. Anything higher will give you bluish to purplish colour with the sacrifice of light output.
I retrofitted an OEM set of hids with Hella ballasts and 4100k phillips d2s bulbs in a VW Passat. On the passat, the halogen low beams use projectors, and the result of putting hids in was amazing. From different angles, it would have the blue-purple effect (from the optics) of bimmers and benz's, but the light output is the highest possible.

Hopefully that clears up some confusion about colour temperatures and the perceivable colours coming from expensive cars.

I placed 4300K hids in my 3, and the output is great, from different angles you can notice the colour changes (blue-purple) as well (as a result of the projector lens we have).

HTH
01aww18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 06:11 PM   #10
mz6zoomzoom
F1 Driver

Send a message via AIM to mz6zoomzoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by "RedRaptor"
Does that mean that 6000k kit gives off less light on the road?
If it's because of the actual color temp, yes.

Need a CT or NY attorney? Purchasing, selling, or refinancing property? Contact us today.
mz6zoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Technical / Model / Performance > 2004-2009 Exterior Lighting