Synthetic Oil - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-23-2004, 03:29 PM   #1
DigitalCameraBuff
Moped Rider

Default Synthetic Oil

The car manual states that Synthetic oil is not recommended. Also, the oil change interval is 7500 miles. Does anyone know why Syn oil is not recommended and why the change interval is not 3000 miles?
DigitalCameraBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2004, 08:31 PM   #2
raitchison
Le Mans: Prototype Class

Default Synthetic Oil

Where in the manual did you find this? I just looked through the manual and found nothing stating that synthetic oil is not recommended, in fact I searched the entire owners manual for the word "synthetic" and found nothing.

As for why the change interval is not 3000 miles, the Mazda3 uses a fairly new & modern engine, it experiences less wear and oil stressing environments than an older tech engine, one of it's chief advantages is an extended oil change interval.
Team SoCal
Team Slow
raitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:12 AM   #3
DigitalCameraBuff
Moped Rider

Default Actually, its on the Mazdausa website

You are correct that it is not in the owners manual. It is posted on the mazdausa website: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...actCustomer#15

Here is the content:
Does Mazda recommend the use of synthetic oil?
No. Mazda does not recommend the use of synthetic oil. To determine which oil should be used for your specific model, consult your Owner's Manual.

I spoke with the service rep and he also said that synthetic oil is not recommended. However, I am skeptical about this given all the research and study about how syn is so much better than conventional oil.
DigitalCameraBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 02:53 PM   #4
4DSC
Grand Am Series

Default Synthetic Oil

Maybe because there are so few synthetic 5W20 oils.

Keep in mind that the 7500 mile oil change interval is only for "light duty" use. If you do a lot of city driving or live in certain climates, use the "severe duty" interval, which is 5000 miles IIRC... still better than 3000 miles though.

Mazda3: It's here!
4DSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:17 PM   #5
raitchison

Default Synthetic Oil

Sounds like complete BS to me. For one thing, as long as you use oil that meets their requirements (API Service SL) they can't caomplain no matter what weight or type it is.
Team SoCal
Team Slow
Old 05-24-2004, 04:34 PM   #6
goldwing2000
Grand Am Series

Default Re: Actually, its on the Mazdausa website

Quote:
Originally Posted by "DigitalCameraBuff"
You are correct that it is not in the owners manual. It is posted on the mazdausa website: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...actCustomer#15

Here is the content:
Does Mazda recommend the use of synthetic oil?
No. Mazda does not recommend the use of synthetic oil. To determine which oil should be used for your specific model, consult your Owner's Manual.

I spoke with the service rep and he also said that synthetic oil is not recommended. However, I am skeptical about this given all the research and study about how syn is so much better than conventional oil.
Keep in mind that those are general questions about ALL Mazda vehicles. The 3 ships from the factory with semi-synthetic oil so there's no reason not to switch to full synthetic after break-in.
goldwing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 01:20 PM   #7
crossbow
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Synthetic Oil

Mazda's actually ok'd the use of synthetic in the Rx8. The original "we don't recommend synthetics" was from the old rx7 era of the old style synthetics.

The rotary engine uses oil to help cool, and thus, burns more oil then a normal piston engine does. The old style synthetics would leave behind a residue that would build up over time, and BAM...not good.

This no longer applies to current technology of synthetics, as many of the base stocks are of far higher quality. A good number of rx8 owners are now running 5w-20 redline as their primary oil choice.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com
crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 08:06 PM   #8
Mighty_Devil
Bicycle Rider

Default Synthetic Oil

Here's something I picked up from the mazda.ca site...when creating and owner's homepage u gain access to FAQs.

"
Can I use synthetic oil in the engine of my Mazda vehicle?

Mazda has not done any testing related to the use of synthetic oils and therefore does not recommend the use of these products. However, using this type of product does not, in itself, affect the warranty on your Mazda. As Mazda vehicles are not designed with the use of synthetic oil in mind, any negative impact on the vehicle as a result of using synthetic oil will not be covered by warranty.
"

So I guess u can use it but like insurance compagnies, they'll try and screw u the first chance they get to save a buck on their end.
Mighty_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 09:01 PM   #9
3D
Moped Rider

Default Synthetic Oil

I'm switching to Mobil1 5W30 on my first oil change. It worked fine in my WRX and I beat the hell of out that car.
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:02 PM   #10
raitchison

Default Synthetic Oil

crossbow won't like that
Team SoCal
Team Slow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Visual / Audio > Maintenance and Care