Is this the ambient temperature sensor? - Page 13 - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda 3 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-07-2004, 08:47 AM   #121
axelant!
Grand Am Series

Default Is this the ambient temperature sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by "wongpres
But the next time you go to your dealership, please ask for the part # for the harness that the ambient temp sensor connects into (we need it in N. America).
Alaso, maybe he will show you the shop manual so you can compare wiring specs, or even just show you where the heck the sensor wires go!! Bring a DigiCam! It might save us having to beg you to clamber under your car to follow a little wire!

Thanks
CR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2004, 09:09 AM   #122
docgoku
Short Track Racer

Damn! I don't read the thread for one day and it explodes! We are so close!

I've put a hold on the Mz6 sensor testing. I have the thing hardwired with a standard 15 amp fuse inline but now that the HVAC (or whatever it's called) box is where the sensor should connect my efforts would've been in vain anyway. Just as wrongpres's source said it would've been dangerous to attempt such testing even with fuses for protection.

If this runs into June I maybe of some help. A work project sends me to London every so often and sometime in June looks to be my next trip. They have the temp. sensor and I already know where two dealerships are thanks to an attempt to get this sensor. However, right now I'm hoping some of our Singapore and assuie friends can get this information.

Damn fine work thus far!

Cheers,
docgoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:57 AM   #123
limck
Short Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by "docgoku"
Damn! I don't read the thread for one day and it explodes! We are so close!

I've put a hold on the Mz6 sensor testing. I have the thing hardwired with a standard 15 amp fuse inline but now that the HVAC (or whatever it's called) box is where the sensor should connect my efforts would've been in vain anyway. Just as wrongpres's source said it would've been dangerous to attempt such testing even with fuses for protection.

If this runs into June I maybe of some help. A work project sends me to London every so often and sometime in June looks to be my next trip. They have the temp. sensor and I already know where two dealerships are thanks to an attempt to get this sensor. However, right now I'm hoping some of our Singapore and assuie friends can get this information.

Damn fine work thus far!

Cheers,
Keep the MZ6 sensor you got. For all you know, it might work perfectly if we manage to locate the where the wire goes to.

I went through some posts and decided on my 2 modes of attack in my search for the wiring.

First I'm going to try to see if I can trace the wiring by looking through the left fog light area. If that doesn't come up with anything, I'm going to remove the left front tire and the plastics to look through.

If that fails as well then I guess I 'd just have to leave it at that. I do not think I'd want to remove my whole front bumper to do the wire trace.
limck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:13 PM   #124
goldwing2000
Grand Am Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by "limck"
From what I know, the auto climate control and manual aircon are all fitted over in the factory in Japan. In Singapore, all the MZ3s i've seen/known (with or without climate control) have the same LCD which have AMB displayed when a sensor is installed.

pic of my LCD here
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sno...;.dnm=2914.jpg

To have 2 different LCDs for different markets doesn't make much business sense as they would need 2 different production lines to manufacture the LCDs and need to segregate out the HUs for different markets at the factory.
I didn't say they had different LCD units, I said they had different head units, as in the control knobs and buttons and such. All the LCD displays are the same.
goldwing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:24 PM   #125
goldwing2000
Grand Am Series

Easy way to access the horn area:
Under the front bumper you have three panels held on by small phillips head screws, one big one in the center and two smaller ones on either side. Remove the one on the left side of the car (your left as you're sitting in the car) and the horn will be directly above. You should be able to follow the wiring harness from there.

"HVAC box":
Electrical schematics can be somewhat misleading as to the location of components. I have a bed feeling that the "HVAC box" that is shown may actually be the main HVAC control unit inside the vehicle. I've never known a vehicle with any kind of separate HVAC controller (but there's always a first time). In either a manual or automatic system, the head unit is usually the main controller with actual functions controlled by the body computer.

Wongpres, if you can somehow get them to copy that schematic and e-mail it to me, I might be able to decipher it better. I went to my dealer and they didn't even have any of the Mazda 3 books in yet!!
goldwing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:45 PM   #126
limck
Short Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by "goldwing2000"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "limck"
From what I know, the auto climate control and manual aircon are all fitted over in the factory in Japan. In Singapore, all the MZ3s i've seen/known (with or without climate control) have the same LCD which have AMB displayed when a sensor is installed.

pic of my LCD here
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sno...;.dnm=2914.jpg

To have 2 different LCDs for different markets doesn't make much business sense as they would need 2 different production lines to manufacture the LCDs and need to segregate out the HUs for different markets at the factory.
I didn't say they had different LCD units, I said they had different head units, as in the control knobs and buttons and such. All the LCD displays are the same.
You're confusing me here. diferent head units? or are your referring to the air condition control?
Old 05-07-2004, 10:31 PM   #127
wongpres
Moped Rider

goldwing2000, I'll try to go to that dealership next Tues. or Thurs. I'll bring my digital camera with me.

In the meantime, I have a request, I need some webspace. As we're now getting into more details, sites like the yahoo that limck uses isn't good enough anymore because we now need access to full-resolution pics. Ideally, we could use a common repository to house any images that limck, myself, or anyone else has. So if anyone can help (10mb would be enough), please PM me.

Thanks.
wongpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:46 PM   #128
limck
Short Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by "wongpres"
goldwing2000, I'll try to go to that dealership next Tues. or Thurs. I'll bring my digital camera with me.

In the meantime, I have a request, I need some webspace. As we're now getting into more details, sites like the yahoo that limck uses isn't good enough anymore because we now need access to full-resolution pics. Ideally, we could use a common repository to house any images that limck, myself, or anyone else has. So if anyone can help (10mb would be enough), please PM me.

Thanks.
okie guys, i might have found where the wiring for the AMB connector leads to.

wongpres, i must have been clolourblind when i posted the colours of the wiring. it's wrong! the correct colours are :

1) white with black strip and silver dots
2) brown with yellow strip and silver dots

If i had not seen the colours wrongly i would not have to go through the trouble of removing parts from the car to trace the wire!

anyway, i traced the wiring from the AMB sensor connector and it went into a trunking which also houses the wiring for the fog lights.

You can see from the picture that there are 2 thick grey "cables". 1 is for the fog light and the other goes to the AMB connector.

I did a trace and found that the trunking went up into the car to where the left headlight is. As there were parts of exposed wires behind the headlight, i searched and found our 2 AMB wirings in the bunch.

Further to the right side of the car just above the radiator fan, there is another bunch of exposed wiring and i also did find the 2 AMB wires in that bunch.

further attempts to trace the wire proved futile as i couldn't find anymore exposed wires.

But I wasn't gonna give up. Acting on gut feeling, I decided to remove the audio HU and take a look at the wiring.
After removing the HU, I saw 2 familar coloured wires.

But there is one problem. The 2 wires on the HU connector has 2 silver dots every 1 inch or so whereas the wires on the AMB connector has 1 silver dot every 1 inch or so.

So guys, this is what I've managed to discover and I dun think there's anything else i can do. If anyone wants to try to hook up the sensor directly to the HU, the locations of the 2 wires on the conector can be seen on the last photo.

Good luck!

P.S: if anyone is kind enough to host some photos, I can upload some high res photos of the above.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:04 AM   #129
Levitron
Le Mans: GT Class

Send a message via ICQ to Levitron Send a message via MSN to Levitron

Guys, you can email me the photos and I can put up an album.

Just let me know how big you want them to be.

levitron@shaw.ca
Black Mica Mazdaspeed 3 ~ Emily with a Boobjob (Made In Japan: 06/2007) my current love
Levitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:04 AM   #130
philgood
Short Track Racer

limck, can you take a pic on the main fuse box (next to the battery) and point out which pins these 2 wires use please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum > Mazda3 General Discussion > Mazda3 (Axela)