Mazda3 Forums banner

Thoughts on "handguns in cars" law in Texas?

26K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  fastdreams 
#1 ·
As many of you Texans may know, and many non-Texans may be surprised...

In Texas, you can obtain a license to legally carry a concealed firearm on your person. However, the state recently passed a law allowing drivers to carry a loaded handgun in their vehicle for self-defense without any licensing, provided you are not in the process of committing a crime (and no, speeding doesn't count) and you are not a gang member. Also, what many consider "the loophole" is that you may have the gun on your person if you are in the process of taking it to your vehicle.

I was just wondering what my fellow Texans and others felt about this new freedom.

Do you or would you carry a handgun in your car?

This is meant to be a discussion open to all sides, but please keep it civil.
Hope I put this in the appropriate spot.

#27 ·
I think it was the best revision to the law yet. I keep my gun in my car with me at all times. Its there to protect myself and the innocent. Now this isnt a normal CC law. You cant carry it around everywhere just to and from your house to your car. The loop hole in that which lawyers will jump on is that "how far from your house to your car?" Its also easier for officers to tell which people will use guns for what purposes. I dont mean to be a profiler, but a guy dressed nicely, maybe in a suit just after work or a guy dressed in real baggy clothes with a bunch of tattoos and bling. Im sure the police would suspect the tattoo guy over the guy in the suit. Its generally the ones with the tattoos that are carrying regardless of any laws as well. While it is very possible for road rage to get out of hand, its also that fact that they would be committing a crime. The one who pulled over on the side of the road to shoot would be arrested because road rage isnt self defense. I use this example, lets say I pull up to a gas station to refuel and i can see an armed, masked man walking inside and pointing a gun. I have a right as a citizen in this state to get my legally registered gun from my glove box and defend the innocent in the gas station. Now its my choice, but I wouldnt be penalized for it.

#33 ·
i think it depends where u purchase the gun...but if from a store like academy, bass pro shop, or whatever...they run ur name through the ATF/FBI and the serial on your gun goes with your name and current info and gets stored on their database. Helps find stolen weapons and whatnot i assume. But i dont know every law and requirement on guns so who knows.

#34 ·
[quote author=birdzofprey link=topic=102524.msg2344754#msg2344754 date=1211928323]
i think it depends where u purchase the gun...but if from a store like academy, bass pro shop, or whatever...they run ur name through the ATF/FBI and the serial on your gun goes with your name and current info and gets stored on their database. Helps find stolen weapons and whatnot i assume. But i dont know every law and requirement on guns so who knows.
[/quote]

The FBI NICS (National Instant Criminal background check System) is to make sure you are not a convicted felon. They do not register the gun that you are buying to you, at least not on legal grounds.

That is not a registration, most gun owners that I know would be very pissed off if there became a mandatory gun/owner registration. That is how you begin the disarming of the public process. Register them all, then confiscate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.