Mazda3 Forums banner

Automatic Transmission Grinding

18K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  patconor 
#1 ·
I have an '06 3 with 44,000 miles. I've owned the car for about three months and it's been overall a good car. However, lately I've noticed that the transmission sounds likes it's grinding when it goes into 2nd gear from 3rd. For example, if I am driving and slow down to turn right, when I accelerate after turning, the car downshifts into 2nd, but when it does this it takes 1.5-2 seconds to downshift and during so there is a pretty noticeable, what sounds like a slight grinding sound. I took it to my dealership and because no codes came up, they said nothing was wrong with it. I would really like to know if something is wrong with the transmission as the factory warranty will run out 3/2010. Any ideas of what might be wrong, or is this something that a lot of AT m3 owners have?

#4 ·
I have the EXACT same sound as you. And it happens off and on when i decelerate to turn, and then when i try to accelerate again, it makes that sound. I know exactly what your talking about. I havent found a solution i just learned to ignore it guess. But if it really is grinding then i guess thats a bad thing! :shock:.. It doesnt happen all the time. i also notice that when its happening during the 1 second grinding sound the car has no power, like AFTER it shifts then u feel it pull you, but its as if its dead during that second while changing gears.

#6 ·
[quote author=felixtibs link=topic=160867.msg3421555#msg3421555 date=1258517925]
Only when turning? Power steering maybe?
[/quote]

ha. I've had mine go out in the middle of a turn before. that was not pleasant. I've driven cars without powersteering before but when that shit goes out randomly..... bout ran into a tree

#7 ·
I know the sound you're talking about. Mine does it too in certain situations, shifting 3 to 2, usually while turning. I figure it's just a way this lame transmission works in its attempt to make a soft shift. Just Mazda's way of reminding us that they hate customer loyalty and have no clue how to build a robust automatic transaxle.

#8 ·
Glad I'm not the only one. (No offence) I thought I was losing it. I do notice that grinding noise. It's also slipping in the turn. However, I've kept close watch of the gears, (hard to do while turning), but it stays in third. Like it's too stupid to downshift into second where it should be. Damdest thing. i have changed the fluid/filter when it first started happening. No change. Can't see why it would slip. It's not exactly like clutch/flyweel operation like a manual. Fluid drivin i thought.

#11 ·
My car needed an alignment so I had them check the tranny again. Still nothing coming up. I was speaking to the tech and was asking about the process of actually checking the physical transmission...very labor intensive. So until a code comes up, nothing will happen. I'm just hoping if one ever does come up, it decides to do it in the next two months before my warranty is up.

p.s. it's a 4spd

#12 ·
[quote author=aunttuna24 link=topic=160867.msg3496915#msg3496915 date=1263456092]
My car needed an alignment so I had them check the tranny again. Still nothing coming up. I was speaking to the tech and was asking about the process of actually checking the physical transmission...very labor intensive. So until a code comes up, nothing will happen. I'm just hoping if one ever does come up, it decides to do it in the next two months before my warranty is up.

p.s. it's a 4spd
[/quote]

That is not right, take it to a trans shop to to do a second opinion.

The shifts should not grind. I have heard this is an issue with the 4 speed since it is much smaller in size than the 5 speed.

#13 ·
since you car is an 06, check to see if you still have factory warranty. 05 & 06's got the 48/48 (maybe 60K) warranty, if yes, take it to the dealer.

#14 ·
speak to a manager and take the car out for a spin with the manager/technician.
they're stalling so they dont have to replace it under warranty.
get corporate involved if necessary. you shouldnt have to pay out of pocket at a trans shop for a diagnostic.

#15 ·
For what it's worth, I've had the same exact sound on my ATX 4-speed on my 2004 2.0L

The sound is completely normal, it's just one of the quirks of the trans. I wouldn't consider the sound a "grinding" noise at all, more like a mechanical sound of the tranny shifting back to 2nd gear. The sound never is more than a second, and only happens when you require a 3rd gear to 2nd gear shift, which doesn't happen often in my driving experiences. Like any car, you get used to how it drives, it shifts, and adjust accordingly.

I drain my ATF every oil change with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and currently Redline D4 ATF, as these cars are very hard on ATX fluid. That said, I would suspect I have one of the best maintained ATX's on this board, with about 73,000 on the clock. Shifts are always smooth and crisp, but I have had that noise since day 1. Considering many people with the same ATX have much more than 100,000 miles on the trans with no issues, as long as you maintain it correctly it should last you the life of the car.

#16 ·
With all due respect, Mummyman. I don't think you are hearing what we are hearing. It is a slight grinding noise, and the trans feels a little like it slips. Rpms go up a little with nothing there. Then it grabs with a slight moddest clunk. And it almost all the time happens while turning right.

Unfortunatly. A problem like that cannot be diag'ed by taking dealer guys out for a road test, cause it is so damn intermittent. I can almost predict when it's going to happen before it happens, but dammed if I can make it happen with a tech in the car.

Honestly, I've driven the car since new and when it started happening, I'm like WTF. Cause this ain't normal. That was 25,000 kilometres ago. And 3 dealer trips.

#17 ·
[quote author=mazdachris link=topic=160867.msg3500353#msg3500353 date=1263671431]
With all due respect, Mummyman. I don't think you are hearing what we are hearing. It is a slight grinding noise, and the trans feels a little like it slips. Rpms go up a little with nothing there. Then it grabs with a slight moddest clunk. And it almost all the time happens while turning right.

Unfortunatly. A problem like that cannot be diag'ed by taking dealer guys out for a road test, cause it is so damn intermittent. I can almost predict when it's going to happen before it happens, but dammed if I can make it happen with a tech in the car.

Honestly, I've driven the car since new and when it started happening, I'm like WTF. Cause this ain't normal. That was 25,000 kilometres ago. And 3 dealer trips.
[/quote]

No it is not normal. If the rpms go up a little, the clutch packs are loosing their grip. It may be that a thrust bearing is going out. What a thrust bearing is is a bearing that has a spring on one end and if that bearing comes loose it allows the clutch pack assembly to move when it is not supposed to. If the spring weakens, it does the same thing.

#19 ·
[quote author=mazdachris link=topic=160867.msg3501269#msg3501269 date=1263758539]
Could be. I was thinking more a shift solenoid is being stupid. However, good luck to us getting a dealer to check that out. Without a code or towtruck involved. I'll have a look in the transmission service manual to see if I can see the bearing.
[/quote]

The service manual does not have that info. The Transmission Overhaul manual does. Codes might not show up for it. Usually when they fail, you lose a gear, however slight play in the thrust bearing (in reality it is the end clutch thrust bearing) makes the trans slip as it shifts. Failure to fix it will eventually require a total overhaul on the transmission.

#21 ·
[quote author=mazdachris link=topic=160867.msg3502085#msg3502085 date=1263823774]
Wouldn't you have to pull the transmission out and take it apart to get at this bearing?
[/quote]

Some transmissions I have taken apart have a small pan/panel on the side of the transmission that you can access the bearing (which requires a special tool to remove the retainer clip). I don't have access to the 4 speed trans to see if there is an access panel you can remove, but look on the transmission on the drivers side. If there is a panel that has several bolts holding it on, that is usually the place to access the bearing. Otherwise to get to it requires removal of the trans and a complete teardown to get to it.

#23 ·
haha i posted about having the same problem a few months ago. usually when i am going about 10-20 mph and get on the gas a little. the car will start to go in third, buck, and then go in 2nd. i know exactly what you mean. last time i tried to see what it was, the response i got was, you have an atx, thats what happens. haha

#24 ·
[quote author=mazdachris link=topic=160867.msg3503177#msg3503177 date=1263860133]
Thanks for the input. I'll have a look for the access panel. Not qualified to fix it though. :shock:
[/quote]

No, it takes someone knowledgeable in transmissions to figure out what it is. Most dealer techs can't figure it out either. Since I've seen it and have fixed the problem, I know how to do it.

#26 ·
[quote author=mazdachris link=topic=160867.msg3505743#msg3505743 date=1263993850]
Do you think a transmission shop would know this. I mean, would it be a common problem with automatics or just the Mazda's?
[/quote]

It actually can be a fairly common problem. Since Mazda engine and transmissions are basically a Ford product, what is seen on Fords can be seen on Mazdas.

I have seen the end clutch thrust bearing fail on Mitsubishis, Hyundais, Fords, Chryslers etc. Usually, what happens is 4th gear will go out, but the grinding can happen before 4th gear goes out.

A good transmission shop that knows what they are doing can figure it out. Chain shops, not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.