Mazda3 Forums banner

How To: Door Panel Removal w/ Door Deadening Install (Raamatt)

62K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  greatFox 
#1 ·
Hope this helps someone. Let's get started!!

Remove this screw behind door grasp handle

Remove this screw

Pull this off

Unplug this:

Pull of tweeter panel. Just pull it will come right off. Unplug the tweeter:

Now, begin pulling the door panel away from the door. I started at the bottom. Theres no picture for this, but as long as you've followed the direction above, the panel will come of with several loud "pops" as the white fasteners dislodge.

Once the panel is removed hold it close to the door and disconnect another wire harness. I think it's 1 for the passeger side (pictured) and 2 for th drivers.

Now, look at the door for these white fasteners. Some of them dislodge from the panel instead of the door itself

Remove these bolts. I think there are 10 of them. Also remove the two nuts that attach the inner panel to the window guide:

the two bolts mentioned above are attached to the metal guide in this pic. The bolts seen at the bottom protrude through the inner panel and are secured with two nuts

To disconnect the door handle, you have to pull this thing up...

by placing a small screwdriver in here.

It will do this when you are successful:

The two wires can then be disconnected from the handle. It's very intuitive when you see it. Lay the handle aside and then pull the two wires from there hangers:

Remove these three bolts from the window motor mechanism. Do not let the white thing in the second pic below to dislodge from the inner panel just yet.

Remove this clip by placing a small screwdriver behind the head.

This is now the most difficult part of the inner door panel removal. There is a wire harness that needs to be disconnected behind the inner door panel that is difficult to get to. There is very little slack in the wire so it is hard to gain access to the wire harness. And, to add more heartache, the harness itself has a locking mechanism.

First, push this wire clip through the panel to give the wire some slack. THis will allow you to remove the inner panel a little more for access sake.

This is a picture laying on the ground looking up into the door at the harness. Difficult to see. There is a locking mechanism on the bottom of the harness that is red in color. It needs to be pulled back. Just give it a pull and it will likely move in the appropriate direction. It's difficult to explain how it moves but it is very easy to figure out. Now, you have to place a little screwdriver behind that disengaged locking mechanism and disengage the entire harness. You will need a light to see.

Like I said this is the most frustrating part...unless you unroll the wire located in the white reel below
Remember this:

It twists out of the inner panel. Don't let is unroll on you. It's not likely but can happen. If it does, you've just made this job much harder. Fold the inner liner back (pic has Raamatt in place already):

Tape this up:

You've now gained access to the metal door

Apply deadener. Raamatt pictured;

Reinstall inner door liner. Don't forget to connect all wire and harnesses. Apply deadner:

Make speaker brackets:

Install speaker (6.5 pictured):

Ensolite inner door panel, again with careful attention to installation requirements of outer door panel:

Reinstall outer door panel.

hope this helps
JJ

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow! Awesome job. Thanks for posting this. Coincidentally, yesterday I popped open the doors to have a look. I had an installer put in Dynamat extreme and the did the inside of the sheet metal of the door. Now I want to do the much easier job of putting raammat and ensolite on the inside of the door panel.

How do you find it working with raammat & ensolite and spray adhesive?

#5 ·
[quote author=hadacivicsi link=topic=108089.msg2215491#msg2215491 date=1207674379]
Wow! Awesome job. Thanks for posting this.

How do you find it working with raammat & ensolite and spray adhesive?
[/quote]

No problem. It was to my pleasure and benefit.

To answer your question, I definitely found that the second door was easier than the first. The first door was a learning experience. Some of my cuts were not exact which made installing the outer door panel difficult. The ensolite and spray glue is kinda tricky. I learned that cutting 3 or four large pieces was easier than cutting and applying 1 or 2. I initially layed the ensolite on the back of the outer door panel so I could tell where I needed to make holes for things like the door handle and white clips. Like I said the first door was good practice.

[quote author=seeeen84 link=topic=108089.msg2228508#msg2228508 date=1208128730]
Great write up! How much time per door?[/quote]

Thanks
I did the two doors on different days. The first door took quite a bit more time than the second. I would say I could remove the door paneling and install mat in about 2.5 hours now. Making the speaker brackets, soldering my connections, heat shrinking, and installing the speaker took another 1 hour or so. If there is someone with experience around to help, the install is much quicker. This was a learning process for me.

JJ

#10 ·
I've been extremely happy with the install. I can't honestly say that the raamat improved the sound quality because I never heard the stereo before having raamat. I will say the doors are quite a bit heavier and they shut with a deeper thud now. I kinda like that.

I plan on doing the rear doors at some point. I bought one roll of raamat and have quite abit' left. One could easily do all four door with one roll of raamat and one roll of ensolite.

JJ

#12 ·
I did not have any problems with the windows nor did I brace them to prevent a problem. That's not to say that you won't or couldn't, I simply did not and have know idea if one could. Hope that helps.

JJ

#13 ·
In addition to improving sound quality, did this take away any door rattling (if you had that problem)? I have some rattling in my doors and was thinking of taking stuff apart and securing everything. I know what you mean when the door closes with a nice solid thud. My dad's Mercedes sounds so solid when you close the door.

#14 ·
[quote author=pharmboyrx link=topic=108089.msg2383434#msg2383434 date=1213212525]
In addition to improving sound quality, did this take away any door rattling (if you had that problem)?[/quote]

To be honest, I don't know. I didn't have a door rattling problem because I was using the OE speakers before going through this entire install. It hard for me to compare before and after because I never heard my stereo before the deadening was in place. I would attempt to track down the rattle before saying for sure this is the fix. Did you listen from outside you car? Put your ear to the door and listen for a rattle. If the rattle is audible outside the car near the door or you feel significant vibration along the exterior of the car, then yes, I think this will fix some of your noise problem.

All I can say for sure is that I have no rattles in or around my door... none at all! Hope that helps.

JJ

#17 ·
Glad I could help.

I guess this would be best served as a sticky. It seems to get buried in the mess until someone does a thorough search. I have no control over that decision though.

#19 ·
Well I'll tell you this guide has helped me more than you know.
I am using this as an aide in removing my door panels so I can bump out a dent in my door from the inside.
Thanks a lot for the guide!

#24 ·
[quote author=biking4jesus link=topic=108089.msg3176194#msg3176194 date=1244914339]
one question- your raamat looks wrinkly. did you try and roll it out? when i installed dynamat a long time ago on my Z it went on very smooth.[/quote]

When I took on this project, it was probably 15 degrees outside. If it was warm the material may have gone on a little smoother, however the backing of ramaat is soooo sticky, I can guarantee the appearance has no affect on the performance. And, let's be honest who's going to see it besides you fine people.

JJ

#25 ·
hey guys im having a hard time unplugging the cable that leads into the door then into the car, i Have "pulled" on the red switch?(i gusse you can call it that) but i still am unable to pull out the cable. anyone have any advise on how to get it out
?

Attachments

#35 ·
Hi guys...
I can't get this harness off either. I found the red switch and moved it but I can't figure out how to get the wiring plug out.

The description from the service manual didn't help either. I pushed the red switch out and I pressed on every part of the plug I can think of. This is totally keeping me from even starting on some sound proofing and I am super frustrated.

Thanks

#26 ·
[quote author=Pankayk link=topic=108089.msg3315836#msg3315836 date=1252433501]
hey guys im having a hard time unplugging the cable that leads into the door then into the car, i Have "pulled" on the red switch?(i gusse you can call it that) but i still am unable to pull out the cable. anyone have any advise on how to get it out
?
[/quote]

anyone have any advise? thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.