Mazda3 Forums banner

'08 HID - Need Help!

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jc_mazda3 
#1 ·
I have an '08 Mazda 3 hatch, and I just pulled this HID bulb out yesterday after it turned pink/red while running. I have no experience with HID bulbs as this car is new to me and it is my first time replacing them. My question is about the wires. I know the pics are difficult to see exactly, but the wires go directly into the bulb and have no way of unplugging at that end. There is a plastic piece that surrounds the base of the bulb just to help keep the bulb fitted into the housing, but has no terminals for a bulb to be plugged into. I can't seem to find the bulb with wires attached anywhere on the internet, but I have seen some adapter cables that have the same connectors to plug into the car, but the other end is a terminal for the bulb, which would then allow me to purchase the normal D2S bulb. Anyone have experience with these? Suggestions as to what I should do?

See less See more
#4 ·
The wires don't come out because it's an aftermarket piece, developed specifically for PnP designs. The connection at the end, that hooks up to the ballast, is called an AMP connection.

If you're going to replace these, you'll need aftermarket H7 HID bulbs, not D2S. D2S is for OEM or retrofit applications. Your projectors are designed for H7 halogen bulbs, so that's why you need the aftermarket one.

Anyway, there are a ton of options. You could get some cheapo's from eBay or you could get Morimoto XBs which are the best in aftermarket applications like this. I would recommend Morimoto 3Five (link) bulbs or Moirimoto XBs (link).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.