Mazda3 Forums banner

2008 Mazda 3: Q's regarding MZ5 coils and Koni FSD

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  technodanvan 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently surpassed 100,000 miles on my MZ3 hatchback and have decided that the journey to 200,000 would be done with some significant upgrades all around. I want to raise the car up somewhat as I tend to carry a heavy load of tools, wood, dogs, etc and simply don't want to deal with rubbing tires anymore. Additionally, I'm looking to improve the ride quality for both 'touring' and 'spirited' driving.

Of course the argument is those things aren't necessarily compatible, but I will make do.

I have installed the rear coils from a 2012 Mazda 5 on my car and got the height I wanted back. Where I could only fit a single finger in the wheelwell before I can now fit my fist. Why 2012 and not 2008? From my understanding the original Mazda 5 used the exact same springs as the Mazda 3 - obviously that wouldn't work very well if you actually load up the microvan to capacity. At some point Mazda beefed them up. I don't know when, so I went with 2012. Seems to do the job. I don't know if they did the same to the front (I suspect a minimal change, if any) but I will be picking up matching front coils later today.

At this point though, comes the question.

I want to install Koni FSD struts/shocks to go with the new coils. The 2100-4040 model is for the Mazda 3, whereas the 2100-4045 model is 'technically' for the Mazda 5. The 4045s has also been used on the MS/MZ3 as people had found that the 4040s didn't have quite sufficient damping and would commonly bounce off the front bumpstops quite a bit - the 4045 is supposed to help with that. This is all with OEM or slightly lowered springs though. Since I will be at OEM (or slightly higher) is this something I should concern myself with? Should I just stick with what Koni says and go with the 4040, or go with what others have had better luck using and get the 4045s?

Note that I will be installing Ground Control bumpstops either way, followed up with AWR endlinks and Corksport sway bars (on the 'soft' setting).

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I guess I'm a pioneer on this. I elected to go with the Koni FSD 2100-4040. Every comparison I could find suggested that for what is primarily a daily driver that they are the way to go. Assuming the front coils from a newer MZ5 are beefier than those on my MZ3, the extra height and stiffness (along with the better, stiffer bumpstops) will hopefully offset the issues that others have experienced.

Also, I'm not certain Koni would warrant the 4045s installed on an MZ3...when I contacted them they were not particularly helpful. Anyway, having some level of warranty is nice bonus I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.