Mazda3 Forums banner

Cams, Intake, and ECU

16K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  the great ny 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if Mazda has plans to offer more aggressive camshafts, intake manifold, and corresponding ECU programing for these skyactiv engines? I feel like the factory header and 13:1 compression beg for these upgrades.

#3 ·
A. Probably not. Mazda sells cars, not "upgrades".

B. The Skyactive engines aren't that old, aftermarket support like you're describing takes time to develop.

C. Yes, seriously. If someone has nothing constructive to add to a conversation, they usually keep quiet.

#6 ·
Sigh... I disagree about a Cam (or two) not doing much for these engines, but I understand that these are new engines catered mainly towards MPG conscious consumers. It's going to itch in my mind the sound and power potential of these engines with cams, ITBs (or more aggressively tuned intake runners), and an ECU tuning to match. Zoom Zoom.

#7 · (Edited)
When you say power potential, you're more than likely meaning something greater than 10-15 whp. A cam in these cars will

1) set you back some amount of cash. Think, you need your exhaust cam and your intake cam (don't know definitive prices) but thats 2 pieces right there.

I hope to god you don't run a cam in these cars without a tune, so there is number 2

2) you're going to need at least a stand-alone, if not a full tune (200-800 bucks) plus dyno time ( IDK local dyno time and tune prices)

3) you're not going to find a reputable company producing intake mani's under 400 dollars, especially for a gen 2+. Look around for dyno sheets on here with people who have them and see the power gains, not substantial for the money.

4) unless you go boosted i wouldn't want to lose your VVT. I could be wrong but if i do believe the VVT is on the intake cam, anything aftermarket will "delete" this.

You may achieve this for say 10-15 hp increase, but for the time and money it just took you; go a different route.

Little example: putting in a cam in these cars would be similar if i for say "ditched my stock cam in my truck and put the good ole' Ford E303 cam in it." Its only going to sound better maybe some mid-range response improvements but thats it. Now if you go back to a crate motor, putting an aggressive cam and a ported and polished intake mani you're probably going to see 30-50 whp.

Sorry to rain on your parade a little.

You go ahead, show dyno sheets and prove me wrong. But until then, :chuckles:

#9 ·
Whysoserious, It doesnt seem to be that you fully read my last two posts.

I'm only interested in the modifications if they are Mazda aftermarket parts and part of a matched set. Of course I would match with an ECU tune, as I've stated in both my previous posts and the title. And I don't know what you're implying about dyno time, either, because all the guys I know running higher boost and port access tuners have never had any dyno time and never any problems either. Granted those dudes are going for higher levels of power than I am, whereas I just want a great sound and a noticeable boost in hp.

As for your e303 cam reference, 1.76" intake valves are not going to respond well to any camshaft, I would know as I had a windsor previously, and yes the valves are that small. An engine with 4vpc, 4-2-1 header, and 13:1 compression, on the other hand, has more going for it, at least, in theory. When I was a mechanic in L.A. we experimented with Aussie cleveland heads on 5.0 HO blocks (try finding intake manifolds for THAT combo), and found we could achieve the power band we wanted with a much milder cam than one would expect simply because of the head flow, but that same head flow would also allow an even greater level of power increase (on the top end) with a more aggressive cam, as you mentioned.

As for VVT, I'm not actually sure either but many car companies these days are utilizing VVT on the Exhaust cam as a means to delete EGR, such as the GM atlas engines and SOME pentistar v6's. Higher duration cams usually limit timing variance and I would imagine this would be compounded by the domed piston tops of the skyactiv engine. This, I think, is the best point you've made yet.

Going back to the Mazda parts list, I spent too much time as a mechanic in a tweaker town dealing with the typical tweaker ride, usually involving the idea that tint (not limited to windows, mind you), painted calipers, chrome bits and other douche mods such as the infamous "Cold Air Intake" increase horse power. A matched set of parts with proven dyno sheets is what I am interested in, because then I will have an objective basis that proves the outcome of the modification. Living on a Military base further alienates me as every soldier and their dog must immediately stray from the sinful idea of "stock cosmetics" and go to auto zone and get whatever everyone else is getting. I wasn't asking for theory, just if anyone had read or heard anything from Mazda about this.

All that aside, don't end a post with (And I take the liberty of paraphrasing it) "Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have an older Mazda and now inherently hate the new ones and will apply my best efforts against any honest questions from skyactiv owners because I am an Elitist clinging to my way which is the only way." Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's kinda how it seems. I ran into the same sort of condescending attitude when I asked on a Ford forum if a 4.88 gear set in my truck would work without notching the cross pin on the LSD. Don't be a douche like Philrab. At least you aspire to own a Bronco. That's a redeeming quality. And go with 4.88 gears if you get a 351 and 34"s.

Spoonman I'm not even going to respond to your obvious troll.

#11 ·
People here are so hostile damn.. It's crazy how you guys bash anyone who wants to build the car they have instead of buying a higher performance car.. Wtf is the point of this forum then ? Just because most people are broke af doesn't mean we all are! And so what if he wants to blow money foregoing the task of building a n/a Mazda they help him don't gender him !

#12 ·
Haha typos out the azz .. I would love to build an all motor set up .. Fukin hate turbos and the super high maintenance cost and labor times but I do lovvvvvve that power .. I we already have high compression so tuning and cams would be ideal from here IMO. It's clear the 2.5 was considered a higher performance version in the skyactiv world. Any one else seen that cx5 on youtube with an e85 tune and sped limiter removed it did over 160mph

#13 ·
If you guys are interested in getting a tune for your car's just hit me up. I do professional ecu recalibrations for many makes and models. Over a decade experience building and tuning performance cars/trucks. And I also do bikes now as well. Drop me a PM on my tuning page or shoot me an email.

www.twisted-visionz.com
www.Facebook.com/twistedtuned
twistedtuned@gmail.com

#14 ·
The best you can do so far with the Skyactiv-G is Corksport intake, exhaust then a tune. Dynotronics (New Braunfalls, Texas) has a tune set for the motor, which I'm going for and I'm not expecting anything above +15 to 20HP. Just a 93 tune and a raised rev limiter if best I will notice a good difference in torque. Can I get some concise feedback as I'm fairly skeptical about raising the rev limiter?

#15 ·
No idea why you would want to raise the rev limiter, it is there for a reason... to stop you from destroying your engine. Also, Dynotronics has some pretty serious negative reviews, dunno how much experience they have with Skyactiv engines. If you do go that route, make sure to post a review/impressions.

People here are so hostile damn.. It's crazy how you guys bash anyone who wants to build the car they have instead of buying a higher performance car.. Wtf is the point of this forum then ? Just because most people are broke af doesn't mean we all are! And so what if he wants to blow money foregoing the task of building a n/a Mazda they help him don't gender him !
I didn't read the whole topic but it isn't hostility, it is just constructive criticism. Skyactiv engines are running on very thin margins and mucking about with it without really knowing what you're doing is asking for problems. So I seriously doubt too many people would go ahead recommending major engine mods when there might be some noob on the receiving end of the advice that doesn't know what hes doing and goes n blows his engine and then blames us.

#17 ·
I realize the OP is asking a question about modifying his 3 but my 2 cents is as many have mentioned, spending this kind of money would be better used elsewhere. You are looking at potentially a couple G's to do this kind of work at which point you are sort of defeating the purpose of the car itself (good mpg, reliable commuter). What I mean is that you should have just bought a speed3 instead of the i or s standard 3. Its kind of like trying to turn a moped into a crotch rocket...you are spending serious cash to get a whopping 30 hp which improves your 0-60 by a second or two...maybe.

Again, just my opinion.

#18 ·
I think that now that the new MX-5 is out you'll see how much can be added to the skyactiv 2.0l at least. I read rumors that euro tuners have done just that with the our cars in order to get a jump on the aftermarket with 200 hp seeming to be the most common hp mentioned with tuning and common bolt ons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.