Mazda3 Forums banner

Rear fog light?

11K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  dinggus 
#1 ·
Just moved to Europe from the US and was wondering before I have to install an ugly fog light below my bumper, is there a way to see if I have a rear fog light already (I think that's what they call it)? Basically, I believe it turns on when I have the vehicle in reverse and trying to see if there's a way I can activate it.

#4 ·
Thanks, I don't have front fog lights. But the third photo, I messaged the guy who owns that car because he hooked it up to a switch that he put on the left side.

You shipped... a mazda 3 to the UK?
Just curious why lol, that seems like a pain not to mention a few things aren't quite up to their specs..

Otherwise.. if you're buying a 3 there, it should already have a fog light.
It was easy, dropped off at the nearest recommended military vehicle shipping company and seen my car 40 days later while I was on leave for 30 days. Only thing that isn't up to their specs is the rear fog light.

#5 ·
Hah wow really?
Guess that works.
I was just thinking more along the lines of fuel mileage and emissions related stuff since I know they only have the smaller engines along with diesel.

For the time being I suppose you could put some red tint on the right side reverse light, and splice a wire to it to a switch and run a "add a circuit" to the passenger fuse box.

#6 ·
Yeah, all the cars I've been in with coworkers are slow so it's nice to be able to pass people when I'm in a hurry, unlike my buddy who has his gas pedal to the floor of his BMW and slowly passing.

Any DIY tutorials on the recommendation you gave me?

#7 ·
hah no, that's just a cheap piss in the wind kind of get it done ASAP kind of job that would / could work just fine (at least for the time being).

There used to be a how-to do a rear foglight somewhere on this forum way back when, but I can guarantee the pictures are long gone, and met a guy down in Florida many years ago that did it to his speed3 and had it wired to his foglight switch on the column.

My way would work; it would just require running a new power line to the light though, ground to wherever close, along with a switch and the add a circuit. Basic enough as far as wiring goes.

I'm struggling to find what I was thinking, ran into this guy on here though:
http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=392348

Irregardless, the right way is the right way which would be the only way you technically should do it, since I'm pretty positive their laws are quite strict on things like that (compared to the US that is).
Have to hunt for any local junkyards to see if they have any (I'm sure they do), and disconnect that light from the reverse switch, and run new wires to the fog lights; maybe even source new power from a fuse box.

Point being, there is a cheap and easy temporary solution, and a right way.
If you don't have the time or tools at the moment to do it, I'd just try to get the fog lamp from a local junkyard, find a car shop and see if they can come up with a solution for not too high cost.

No foglight = no MOT right?

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.