Mazda3 Forums banner

Exhaust Tips

15K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  hellfaller 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I've been looking into putting an exhaust tip on my car, but I have a few questions before a start thinking about it too seriously.

So my first question is how to get the current tip off. There doesn't seem to be any easy way of removing it, like unscrewing/unclamping something, so I'd assume it's welded or glued on.

My next question is about the sound. Will an exhaust tip really enhance/change the sound significantly? I have an idea of what I want it to sound like, but I have no idea how to find the tip to match that.

Finally, what about attaching it? I've found cheaper tips ($50) that you lubricate, slide on, and then clamp or screw. I'd assume these would work just as well as one that would need welding, but again, I'm not sure.

Any answers or advice would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
An exhaust tip alone will not change sound. I would suggest to take out a resonator and add an exhaust tip. Should give it a nice little rumble. Should cost you less that $100. I think I paid $40 for a local exhaust shop to remove a resonator and add a straight pipe. Tip should be $20 no more that $40. So maybe it'll cost even less that $100.

Sorry idk how to remove stock exhaust tip lol

#4 ·
Ah, got it. I have no idea what the resonator is, so I'll have to look into that :p

the stock one is welded on, you have to cut the pipe off.

IMO, don't waste your time and money, find a speed3 exhaust for cheep, sounds great on gen1s
So you're saying it would be better to just replace the whole exhaust system?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.