Mazda3 Forums banner

SkyActiv Long-Term Reliability??

13K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  5l1mm 
#1 ·
Since the new SkyActive engines are direct injection, does anyone have any idea if they will potentially experience the same issues that turbo GDI engines do? By that I mean the gunk that the PCV valve allows into the engine. I've heard of turbo GDI engines experiencing all kinds of issue from loss of power to engine damage from the build-up on the valves that doesn't get "washed" away by fuel since it's injected directly into the cylinder. I know many people with turbo GDI engines install a catch can ahead of the PCV valve and the amount of crap that gets caught is a little concerning. I may be in the market for a new 3 hatch and am trying to determine if there may be future issues with the SkyActive setup.

#5 ·
sorry to resurrect an old thread. but i hate it when people say "use the search function" when someone asks a question.
i searched, i found this.

anyone have a skyactive engine that has experienced reliability issues?
im thinking all of those tight tolerances are an engineering marvel, but there has to be a cost in reliability.
any anecdotes?
thanks.

#7 ·
id sure like to think so
but i was thinking more of a spirited driving, less than perfect scenario.
for instance.
the single cone syncro on the 3rd gear of my 5 sp should run just fine under proper conditions, but i still blew it up and upgraded to the 6sp.
yaknow, unforeseen stuff like that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.