Mazda3 Forums banner

taillight, headlight p2188

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  222speed3 
#1 ·
So, I just got my 2008 speed 3 with 69k on it ,my blinkers do not stay on stationary, it only works when it blinks for the turn signal. I cant seem to be able to take the Headlight out to replace it is there a easier way to do it or.... do i need to really take out the whole headlight?

I also have a problem with the left rear taillight it wont come on at all but all the LEDs work, i Cant seem to find the bulb for that in the headlight so is there something else i need to get? Do i have to buy a Whole new taillight?

After I bought my speed 3 about 4 days after the check engine light comes on and I take it to a shop they tell me the code it is giving out is a p2188 whats the soultions? I cleaned the MAF sensor nothing and it doesnt seem to be killing the gas either so whats wrong with it how do I fix this.

#2 ·
Likely someone did parking light delete mod.

Shove your hand down in there and rotate them, no need to take the headlight housings out from the car...

As for your taillight; I have a better feeling someone fudged up the wiring and the unit works just fine.

P2188 is an o2 issue more than it is a MAF issue.

I seriously want to guarantee whoever you bought this car from has modified it, and threw it back together "to stock" and causing all sorts of issues by blocking off / ignoring things before with a tune [hopefully] or something.

#4 ·
okay that makes me feel much better then. It's definitely an o2 issue, and probably needs an extender.
Previous owner definitely had a CobbAP tune, definitely buy one... now.
You're already semi bolted and that's bad news for the car in stock calibration, in fact it's quite dangerous.

#6 ·
Ok so I finally got a picture of this thing under the steering wheel is there a way to reset it I might have clicked a few of the buttons to find out what it was.... And in even worse news my car won't start up any more ,just hear the sound I feel like it might be a mis fire I'm going to get spark plugs

#7 ·
What thing under the steering wheel? Hope you figured this out. You need to find out what your ride is tuned with.

a 2188 code could mean a lot of things. Most common are O2 sensor upstream, spark plugs, and or PCV valve. There is a long list of things that cause this code. But these are the usual.

If the seller left the cobb AP tune on it your in trouble. You need the cobb AP. It is worthless to the seller because it is tuned to your car. Unless he put it back to stock tune but in that case you would have more codes.

So the seller it seems left it tuned. You need that cobb access port.

For 2188 I would replace spark plugs and PCV valve. Then replace upstream O2 sensor if still persists. Would be good to replace all three anyways at 63k with a tuned ride you just bought to be on the safe side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.