Mazda3 Forums banner

A clink / pop sound when I first drive my car...

15K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  matboyslimm 
#1 ·
When I first drive my Mazda3 2008 I hear a pop or clink. It happens sometimes when I am still in first and sometimes when I first hit second gear. So basically it is when I am just starting to accelerate (under 15 MPH).

If I then stop on a stop sign or something it does not happen. It will happen again if I turn off my car and start it again.

Anyone knows what it might be?

Thanks.

Wolverine
///

#5 ·
[quote author=J.J. DO link=topic=126585.msg2699110#msg2699110 date=1224964627]
I think I have the same thing. I don't now what it is either. Does it sound like a cord or wire popping? Mine occurs in first as well.
[/quote]

Exactly!!! I keep on thinking it is some type of cord or wire popping!

Anyone else having this problem? Or even know what causes it? It is weird that it only happens when you first drive the vehicle.

Wolverine
///

#6 ·
I have a 08 Mazda3 and I get this clinking popping noise after I drive the car for a bit. When in motion the noise is gone but once I come to a stop at a redlight or put my car in park the clinking popping noise comes back. And it will make that noise for about 30 seconds, then it will go away and come back again after a few seconds..... I have no idea what it is and my car has no engine modifications.

I went to mazda with this problem a few months back and they told me its normal...... but i dunno.

#7 ·
I have a similar problem but it only happens sometimes. When I first drive my car and it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear, I hear this clunky noise and the car has a little jolt. What I do now when I first drive.. is in 1st gear, I rev it super slowly and kind of ease off the gas until it hits 2nd.. normally this gets rid of that jolt and the popping noise.. But yeah, I dunno what it is, but that's just my way of handling it. :)

#8 ·
[quote author=skHTE link=topic=126585.msg2701153#msg2701153 date=1225083110]
I have a 08 Mazda3 and I get this clinking popping noise after I drive the car for a bit. When in motion the noise is gone but once I come to a stop at a redlight or put my car in park the clinking popping noise comes back. And it will make that noise for about 30 seconds, then it will go away and come back again after a few seconds..... I have no idea what it is and my car has no engine modifications.

I went to mazda with this problem a few months back and they told me its normal...... but i dunno.
[/quote]

What you have is something different. The pop I am talking about is just one pop and that is it. It does not last or anything like that. I have a 92 Thunderbird SC that did something similar to what you are talking about. It turned out to be a shield somewhere on my exhaust pipe underneath the car. Hope that helps.

Wolverine
///

#9 ·
[quote author=Mazda3.D link=topic=126585.msg2702543#msg2702543 date=1225139160]
I have a similar problem but it only happens sometimes. When I first drive my car and it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear, I hear this clunky noise and the car has a little jolt. What I do now when I first drive.. is in 1st gear, I rev it super slowly and kind of ease off the gas until it hits 2nd.. normally this gets rid of that jolt and the popping noise.. But yeah, I dunno what it is, but that's just my way of handling it. :)
[/quote]

I originally thought that my issue happened when it shifted from 1st to 2nd, but that is not the case. It could be well into 2nd gear the pop would happen. Also, I never get a jolt. You sound like you actually have a transmission problem. Should get that checked out before it becomes worse.

Wolverine
///

#10 ·
Agree with both posts above.

The sound I hear occurs only once and it occurs right around the time I'm shifting to 2nd. I feel/hear absolutely no change in acceleration, shifting, or engine tone.

I truly wish more people experienced the same. I would feel more secure about the whole situation.

JJ

#11 ·
[quote author=Mazda3.D link=topic=126585.msg2702543#msg2702543 date=1225139160]
[/quote]
thats the exact same problem i have.... its annoying as hell

#12 ·
Well I'm glad to see that others are experiencing this as well..not glad we're having this issue, but rather that I'm not the only one. I feel/hear it every time I start the car and get into 2nd gear. As long as the engine is still running after that initial "pop" sound, it never comes back.

#13 ·
its most likely the motor/trans mounts. ive had this for a while and im trying to pinpoint it.

#16 ·
Is this the one you were thinking of...?

TSB: 03-003/05
2004-2005 MAZDA3 - DRIVE SHAFT CLICK NOISE
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2004 – 2005 Mazda3 with VINs lower than JM1 BK**** 51 271699 (Produced before January 1, 2005)

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may exhibit a click noise from the drive shaft when changing gear direction and/or taking off. The symptom is a single click. This concern is created by a small contact surface between the wheel hub and driveshaft which causes high contact pressure and stick-slip to occur.

Service washers have been established to address customer concern.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
Before starting, prepare the following items:

Two (2) special washers (BPYK-33-044)

Two (2) new lock bolts (9YA0-21-083D). (Note: Bolts are NOT reusable)

#17 ·
[quote author=cdidrr link=topic=126585.msg2713607#msg2713607 date=1225493931]

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2004 – 2005 Mazda3 with VINs lower than JM1 BK**** 51 271699 (Produced before January 1, 2005)

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may exhibit a click noise from the drive shaft when changing gear direction and/or taking off. The symptom is a single click. This concern is created by a small contact surface between the wheel hub and driveshaft which causes high contact pressure and stick-slip to occur.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

[/quote]

This might be it... but I have a 2008. You would think that it would have been fixed by then.

Wolverine
///

#20 ·
Same issue here on wifey's car 2007, 5 door. It's been there ever since we bought the car brand new. Only happens once per car start :) between 1st and 2nd gear. I've tried to pinpoint it and listened real hard. To me it sounds like a really old radiator fan turning on and I believe it sounds like a spring setting off. Don't laugh, that's what it sounds like to me :) I think that's how it supposed to be but it's annoying as hell.

#21 ·
Hey guys, I don't know if this helps, but I had plenty of new hondas in my family and it does the same thing. If I start the car up and it hasn't been driven for like a day, when I accelerate I also heard like a pop of the wire sound. It happens when the tranny is going into 2nd gear. It happens on my honda pilot and my sister's fit. Even though now I have a mazda 3, I'm pretty sure this is the same issue. I looked more into it in other forums and people are saying that it's normal. It's hella annoying but people have been having that issue for years and their car ran fine. In my opinion I think its just normal.

#22 ·
[quote author=cdidrr link=topic=126585.msg2714285#msg2714285 date=1225510952]
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=84427.30
[/quote]

haha :lol: i laugh cause the guy with 4 posts found this for you guys.

i posted in that thread a while back. i was also told this was normal.

#23 ·
[quote author=Wolverine313 link=topic=126585.msg2713930#msg2713930 date=1225503162]
[quote author=cdidrr link=topic=126585.msg2713607#msg2713607 date=1225493931]

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

DESCRIPTION

REPAIR PROCEDURE

[/quote]

This might be it... but I have a 2008. You would think that it would have been fixed by then.

Wolverine
///
[/quote]

Most likely its this TSB, I had the same problem years ago with my 05 Mazda3 GT Sedan (5speed), at first they would say that they didn't hear anything. After the third time there I got annoyed, requested that the service manager come with me to my car. I then recreated the clicking noise and at first he denied hearing it. Then I made him crouch down, listen and not hand me a company line. He then heard it and admitted at the time that there was reported problems, but that they hadn't got a fix from Mazda at the time.

So my advice, is be persistent on it as many service advisors and techs will deny it or say its "normal".

Dave

#25 ·
Has there been any resolution to this problem?

We have a 2009 Mazda 3 2.3 Hatchback automatic. I have noticed that when I first hit the gas pedal and the car starts to speed up(between 1st and 2nd gear) there is an audible spring sound that we can hear and feel through the gas pedal. This only happens once when we first start up the car and accelerate. When the car is shut down and restarted we get the same thing again only once(1 springing sound that can be felt through the gas pedal lightly).
Does anyone have a clue with what might be going on?

#26 ·
For those still looking for an answer, here it is, this applies to 2004-2008 Mazda3 as well as other Mazda models, per service bulletin 03-002/10

I just took my car to the dealer for this exact issue and this is the fix for this issue. I opted to do it myself after they gave me the service bulletin as reference instead of paying them $170 to fix it.

The problem comes from rust which causes a slip/stick condition between the drive shaft and wheel bearing mating surface. Remove the rotor, break the drive shaft nut loose, separate the drive shaft and wheel bearing and clean both touching surfaces with a wire brush, sandpaper, or zizz-wheel. After cleaning, apply molybdenum grease OR anti-seize to the surfaces. Reinstall parts. Done.

Refer to the TSB if any of this is unclear. 03-002/10
Due to a difference in drive shaft design, this may or may not solve the issues on the 04/05 3s, refer to aforementioned TSB in thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.