Mazda3 Forums banner

2015 Street class moves (aka HS gets harder and MS3 to GS)

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  miata_racer 
#1 · (Edited)
http://solomatters.com/street_category_moves_for_2015

Read up kids. 2wd Audis to DS, 07+ 4wd Audis to BS, MS3 to GS (with the ST cars), HS to get harder with the 318is, Integra GS-R, FWD Talon/GS-T, Sentra SE-R (new and old), bugeye celicas (94-99...the old HS dominator), AND some Honda preludes and civics INCLUDING the latest gen Civic SI with the LSD front end.

Oh yeah and the Fiesta ST. That would kill the current HS cars IMO. However, HS numbers were crap this year. So this MIGHT bring the class back. IF H Street doesn't make numbers it WILL (IMO of course) be combined with G Street.

The Mini has competition and the 3 is further doomed lol :\

Time to buy a good used Si or Fiesta ST

Good news for the Mazdaspeed3 though. It can be an also ran in GS now and fight for a back marker trophy.

Locally I have a friend with a brand new 2014 ST. So we'll see how our two cars compare. I put the big Hotchkis rear bar on the MS3 and my old 17x7.5 Enkeis and 225 Rivals from STF earlier this year :)

See less See more
#3 ·
i want the new mini moved down personally. It's like the fiesta st. and mini has AWESOME contingency. ford has none :(

#4 ·
So I should keep the MS3 and run GS!?
Nope. But I do believe that's where the car belongs. It's still gonna get a butt whoopin' from the FoST. Those things just dance through slaloms stock. The Mazda most definitely doesn't. I don't think the mechanical LSD can make up the difference.
Maybe a second gen with the wider wheels can do it.

#5 ·
HS numbers were crap this year.
In my opinion, this is what happened...

2011: Minis in HS are burning through Hoosiers in ~15 runs.
2012: STF is introduced, allowing Mini's to compete on street tires.
2013: RTF (HS) is introduced, but Mini's are already prepped for STF.
2014: H-Street becomes real class, but rumors of HS/GS merger scare people away from running HS. So potential HS folks stick with STF or go elsewhere.

Serious competitors put a lot of time and money into the sport. They want stability.

#6 ·
I agree 100% but the SEB doesn't seem to do anything for stability IMO.

I told Reno to come run STF. Slap camber plates on his car and it would be a-ok. The mini in 2012 trim was a HS car with camber plates. It worked VERY well.

But I think this will help HS get better. Not many are getting new minis to autocross because the car is in GS. Can't do crap there. And the older cars are falling out of warranty...so it's hard to say what to do.

And as I stated on FB...cars like the Mazda2 suck in stock form. I drove a stock 2 once. It was like having to daily drive a rental car. Horrible :\

#9 ·
As they should. If they let a Sonic in there that MIGHT be a good fit, but I suspect would be a front runner with intake and exhaust mods. I drove one in auto and it was a fun little box :)

#11 ·
Drove the Fiesta ST and Focus ST this weekend at a practice. The FoST...WOW!!! Amazing car. All the fun I remember of the original ITR in a better package. This is THE BEST FWD car ever built out of the box for the USA market. Hands down. Rotates like the Mini, brakes like an S2000, power like a WRX and just...WOW.

I want one.

Fiesta ST. Also VERY fun. The FiST is a neat car and is like a 90% FoST. It feels cheaper and has less power and shorter gearing (mini cooper short 2nd gear). So it's slower. I'd say about 0.7 slower than the Focus. LSD action not as good and not as eager to rotate. Also with 23" tall 205/40-17s on it I'd say a 24" tall tire would help a LOT. Gearing being the #1 thing to benefit. This is the new HS car to beat.

And the MS3 is crap. Handles like crap, power delivery is crap, makes noises, pops out of 2nd gear a LOT. Yeah...I'm done. The mazda3 is a great little car but overall I've been very disappointed with the MS3. I thought the gen 2 would be a better car but it's the same old disappointing heavy pig the gen 1 was. Time to ditch it. :)

#13 ·
LOL. No kidding. It's bad enough I don't want to waste my time putting the coilovers on the car.

HOWEVER...since I have some brand new DTC 60 pads for my MS3 in a box that I just got from Hawk. I may swap the coilovers onto the MS3 and get some camber for some fun in it at the track. :) At least a time or two over the winter. With some 17x8s and my old 225/45-17 rivals from this season.

But yes...it's a terrible solo car. Not a bad daily. Time for a Focus ST. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.