Mazda3 Forums banner

2006 3S struts

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  RPPM 
#1 ·
Time for new front struts. Drivers side leaks and jitters on bumps. Thinking of Monroes since KYB gr2's are too stiff or so I've read a lot.
Then I saw new "SenSens" for half price, supposedly used for racing. Well they are made in China but who knows if the Monroes are made in China too. Anyone with good or bad experience or info on SenSen?

#3 ·
Funny. I checked the e catalog to look up pricing and there isn't a selection for the Mazda 3. I wonder if they even make struts and shocks for the 3?

#5 ·
I found them at APX in Wilmington NC on ebay, I haven't looked at their (SenSen) website. I also saw that someone in a forum put them on a 2004 in 2009 but no way to contact the person and no follow up posted. I expect they are too cheap to last, and will probably order Monroes from the parts store, hoping to get at least another 80k. Has anyone rebuilt one of these struts? I may keep the originals and rebuild them for next time if it saves a lot of $$.

#7 ·
Are there 2 different versions that KYB offers?

#8 ·
My letter to Mazda Canada:
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing you to inform you how badly I am disappointed with the Mazda 3 build quality!
I was notified yesterday that I have leaking front right shock absorber at 49000 km Mazda 3 2006
The way this is going to I am aware that you will have just one customer less for my next car purchase!

Very Best Regards,
MP

An answer from Mazda Canada:
Dear P.M.,

Thank you for your recent correspondence. We are sorry to hear of the difficulties you have encountered with your 2006 Mazda 3GS. We wish that it were possible to resolve all reported inquiries on a satisfactory basis. Unfortunately, this is not always the case.

We are confident you can appreciate that the new vehicle limited warranty must be applied consistently for all customers. Mazda Canada Inc. attempts to satisfy all customers within reasonable limits and will always honour the conventional warranty parameters when applicable. However, once the conventional warranty has expired, the manufacturer’s responsibility ceases to exist.

Experience has shown that defects attributable to the original manufacturing and assembly process will make themselves apparent quite early in the life of the vehicle. Repairs, such as you have reported are usually the result of wear or other factors over which Mazda Canada Inc. has no control. Thank you for allowing us this opportunity to explain our position.

Regards,

MAZDA CANADA INC.

Julissa Quintanilla

Bilingual Coordinator

Customer Relations

#10 ·
[quote author=3sview link=topic=177435.msg3751636#msg3751636 date=1280932724]
I found them at APX in Wilmington NC on ebay, I haven't looked at their (SenSen) website. I also saw that someone in a forum put them on a 2004 in 2009 but no way to contact the person and no follow up posted. I expect they are too cheap to last, and will probably order Monroes from the parts store, hoping to get at least another 80k. Has anyone rebuilt one of these struts? I may keep the originals and rebuild them for next time if it saves a lot of $$.
[/quote]

I installed some SENSENs that I purchased from www.apxautoparts.com and so far so good. I got a lifetime warranty so what the heck.

#11 ·
[quote author=GearHead28 link=topic=177435.msg3762717#msg3762717 date=1281760325]
[quote author=3sview link=topic=177435.msg3751636#msg3751636 date=1280932724]
[/quote]

I installed some SENSENs that I purchased from www.apxautoparts.com and so far so good. I got a lifetime warranty so what the heck.
[/quote]

Me too and for half the price of KYB's ,Monroe & OEM (thru OnlineMazdaParts). The boxes they came in had the Monroe & KYB part# for the Mazda3,which sounds like they are or could be the OEM manufacturer for both. The Sensen site does state that they are the OEM for VW & Volvo.

#12 ·
If you want a smooth ride, do not get KYB struts. I had them on my Mazda 3, and took them off because they rode like crap. I went through www.batinc.net and had them track down a set of Sachs Super Touring units from the UK. Same price as OEM, but should hold up a lot better.

The Sachs Super Touring are around $370. KYB, cheapest I have seen is around $240 shipped from Amazon.com. If interested, the part numbers for the Sachs Super Touring are 312824, 312825 for the fronts, and 312949 on the rear shocks. I spoke with Eric at www.BATinc.net, he ordered them for me. For those of you not familiar with BATinc.net, it stands for British American Transfer. They are located in Florida, and handle performance parts for European based Fords, like Contour, Fiesta, Focus, and Merkur. I am running a set of Sachs Advantage (Sachs Super Gas on their site) for my Focus. Lifetime warranty, good price, great Struts/shocks, German feel, comfortable ride, good handling. Sachs-Boge are popular on VW, Saab, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc. The Sachs Super Touring are OEM replacements with a little more control and handling. They don't make the Advantage line for the Mazda 3.

They are special order for the Sachs. The OEM struts and shocks ride much better than the KYB units. The KYB's are very stiff on compression, and soft on rebound. Most European feeling dampers are softer on compression, and stiffer on rebound, keeping your tires in contact with the road. Personally, I was very disappointed with KYB's. Stiff on initial bumps, followed by float on dips.

I have about 6,000 miles on my Sachs Super Touring dampers so far. I have been very pleased with them, nice smooth ride, absorb bumps very well, but absolutely zero float. I think they actually have more feel than Koni FSD units do, and are much cheaper. I don't know about them for lowering springs, but maybe ok with Racing Beats. I am really impressed with their ability to negate bump steer, especially at higher speeds. The valving seems to firm up very nicely as needed, but body control is excellent. I am very pleased with the purchase, and would do it all over again if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.