Mazda3 Forums banner

The death of the manual transmission

25K views 49 replies 31 participants last post by  Borntobehappy 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#2 ·
Stick for life. If I lose a leg, I'll weld a pole to the pedal and push it with my forehead. Love manuals.

Don't care if it's slower. Don't care about traffic. Don't care if the new autosticks are better/faster/whatever. I want to drive the car. Rowing gears is just second nature to me.

#3 ·
It's like a way of life. I took the stick shift path when I was learning to drive and about cars in general. In a sense it's the purer way to drive, and to me, the only way to drive.

The day manufacturers start phasing them out is the day I cry.

#5 ·
Don't care if it's slower. Don't care about traffic. Don't care if the new autosticks are better/faster/whatever. I want to drive the car. Rowing gears is just second nature to me.
This

and this:
manuals make for better drivers.

Literally.

You can't text and drive all that well when you're driving around your high rise city in your $1200 high heels now can you.
I can't believe it took me so long to start driving a stick, but now I could never go back. It is just so much more enjoyable.

#7 · (Edited)
I do love my manuals. The first car I saved up and bought on my own was a one owner 65 Mustang with the 4 barrel 289 and Borg Warner 4 speed. Loved that car. Rebuilt and restored it with many mods and drove it for a few years until I sold it for quite a bit of money as the down payment towards my first house. I don't miss my first house but boy I sure miss that car. One of the worst decisions I've made....

I've always had manuals but with one exception. My 95 Ford F150 4WD was an auto. I think big trucks drive much better with autos than they do with a manual.

I have to admit that some of the automatic transmissions today are fantastic. The wife's BMW X3 has the 8 speed auto. For a smaller SUV, the little 240 hp turbo engine with that transmission really gets up and goes. The way the tranny shifts is impressive. It never hunts and it shifts hard when in the sport mode.

I like driving it from time to time, but I want a manual for my next car. Like people are saying - driving a car with a manual is an experience. Don't take that away from me!

#8 ·
I just bought my '15 M3 with a manual. I suspect it may be my last as auto performance and efficiency become better than that of manuals. Mazda redesigned this transmission from the ground up to improve performance and efficiency, but still doesn't quite match the auto in epa rating. So as much as I like driving manual, as that gap grows or as hybrid or (more likely) electrics start really showing up as true performers I don't know that the cost benefit analysis will still pan out.

#9 ·
The argument isn't really about which is better as much as which would you rather drive. Even today, good automatics can outperform manuals both in terms of performance and efficiency. But it still comes down to which would you rather have. Ie: I'd rather have total control of the car, and always be engaged when driving. It's just a different experience and a shit ton more fun. Sure maybe traffic might be a bitch, but life is all about compromises, and that's definitely one I'm willing to make.

#10 ·
Definitely agree with most of what's been said here. I drive my car to "drive" it, not just to get from A to B. Nothing could replace the feeling of rowing your own gears, operating the clutch and being one with the engine. Manual FTW! I have owned all manual cars, and even though new dual clutch autos might be quicker than manuals, nothing can beat the sensation of feeling the mechanics of your car and changing your own gears. It is superb!

#11 ·
It took me a while to find a 3 sedan with a 2.3 and a manual but it was worth it. The fact that it is a GT made it even better. The car was in great shape and the seller was at a loss to explain why it took so long to sell and reasoned that it was because it had a manual transmission. Fortunately for me, it was just what I was looking for. I had to drive 120 miles to get it, but I am glad that I did.

#13 ·
for rolling gun battles, i'll take an auto every time.

#16 ·
It's an interesting take on the debate of manual vs auto.

Here's the link : http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-clarkson/clarkson-manuals-2014-12-08

I'm curious to know what you guys think
Clarkson is right, and I still prefer to drive a manual. Sticks are more fun, and give you better situational awareness.

Driving in traffic? No problem as the Mazda3 is brilliant at crawling in 1st gear. With a light throttle, it can really be smooth rather than jerky.

Unintended acceleration? Never. It's always human error operating an automatic. With a manual, any acceleration is always very very intended.

Electric cars can be fun with their instant torque off the line, but a manual driver will always be better, safer, and engaged. There are tangible benefits to driving a stick, and I hope automakers will continue to produce them.

#18 ·
Another MT fan here. I've never cared for ATs, even though it may be more convenient to eat and drive and perhaps deal with stop and go traffic. But that has never bothered me either with a stick. As already implied earlier in this thread, there's that feeling of being one with the car. Anyone can push a gas pedal and go, but what fun is that? I don't care if they come out with ATs that blow MTs away, I prefer to shift on my own. Always have, always will.

#20 ·
One of my friends bought a 2013 Focus SE last year and the auto trans is grinding and vibrating in 1st gear and shifting to 2nd. It's kinda scary, actually haha

His wife says, "It's cheaper than fixing a standard transmission, so that's a plus."

I gave her the :shocked: :huh2: :eh: :a: :| :chuckles: :lol: looks and she thought I was being mean.

#21 · (Edited)
Just picked up my 2015 Mazda 3s Touring with a manual. From what I understand the manual wasn't offered in 2014 for the s (2.5L engine) and has been discontinued for 2016 so 2015 was my only opportunity. Naturally I had to get it. It took my dealer a while to find one but got it none the less. I actually wanted the 3s Grand Touring but they couldn't find one with the manual. My first 4 vehicles had manual transmissions (1982 Datsun 210 SL Hatchback, 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S Hatchback, 1994 Toyota Xtra-cab 4x4 V6 pick-up, 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT). Then I got married and despite my many attempts at teaching my wife how to drive a stick shift she just couldn't do it. So our next 4 vehicles were automatics. But since now we currently have 2 vehicles (wife has 2008 RAV4 V6 AWD, I have a 2014 M-B CLA250) my wife let me get back to a stick shift as my daily driver commuter car so the Mazda 3 was the obvious choice. I test drove the 3i and 3s with MT. Although the 3i was adequate, driving the 3s was like tasting blood. I'm still a bit rusty with the clutch but it was like riding a bike. My only fear now is while driving my other car or any other automatics I'll go reach for the clutch and slam on the brake.

#22 ·
My only fear now is while driving my other car or any other automatics I'll go reach for the clutch and slam on the brake.
I really doubt that will happen. My car is in the shop for the weekend and I was given a loaner with an AT. Not once have I felt the urge to reach for the clutch. However, I feel really lazy driving this car. I really dislike driving a car with an AT .

#24 ·
I did that one time with a rental car. I had a passenger in the front and I nearly put us through the front windshield when I reached for the 'clutch'. He was like "what the F*** was that about". I said sorry, I was going for the clutch by instinct.

#25 · (Edited)
Tried really hard to work with dealers to get me a 3S "Touring" 2.5 with a manual ransmission, but they weren't giving me any good deals for them and making all sorts of excuses about not being able to get one. Ended up with the 2.5 S Touring with an AT (with a good price deal) and I'm actually quite happy with it despite having driven manuals for pretty much all my driving life.
I figured that now that ATs actually give better performance on the test strip in terms of 0-60 times, better fuel economy and I still get to shift six gears "manually" with the shift paddles if I want to with my AT,.... I'm actually quite satisfied with my 3.
It's really hard to complain when ever time I press the "sport" button on the console, press the gas and the car literally rockets away from most traffic with hardly any effort from me and the car!.
With my new 3, I am convinced that modern ATs are the way to go with sporty street cars.

#27 ·
We just purchased a 2015 GT with automatic. I had the green light to buy a manual and changed my mind after test driving. The gearing is so sloped to fuel economy that I felt I wasn't rowing through the gears. It was first, second and then pick a cruising gear. The paddles and sport mode give me enough for an extra smiley when I want one.

Love this car though. Went through two tank fulls of highway driving this weekend. The car has enough power to stay in the fast lane, get out and pass left lane hoggers and still give us great gas mileage. :smile2:

#28 ·
I just purchased a 2015 S Grand Touring Hatch with the 6-speed MT after checking out both the auto and manual. The manual transmission took a little getting used to since the ratios seem more geared toward fuel economy than performance, but I have no complaints.

I've driven automatics from time to time, but I just feel that they lack that feeling of a true connection with the car. Manuals these days may not be as efficient or fast, but I love feeling like I have complete control over my vehicle.

As far as the death of a manual is concerned, finding a 2015 S Grand Touring Hatch with a manual transmission was a little challenging. Luckily, the one available in 150 miles happened to be 12 miles away.

#29 ·
Manual all the way. I traded my manual for an automatic but it is just to support the Wife and I needed to get rid of the speed before it really had problems. Tried teaching the Wife and she almost broke the tranny.

First chance I get to have a manual again I will. Looking at 3 to 4 years in the automatic. Hopefully the second round of speeds will be rollin out by then.

A manual is just plain fukn fun. Doesn't matter if it is slower and less efficient. I just love the control and running through the gears.

Manual all the way!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.