Mazda3 Forums banner

P2187, the self-resolving CEL?

17K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  222speed3 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, so a few days ago, my 2009 MS3 threw a CEL upon startup. Pulled the code and it's the P2187, lean at idle.

Throughout the life of the CEL, the car was really normal. Of course I didn't really push it. But I did push it once, just to see if I was still getting boost (because everything else has been normal).

And yep, boost as usual. I don't have a boost gauge or a numerical way of measuring boost, but trust me, the car did its thing. :)

Fast forward a few days, and the CEL disappeared. What's going on?

My mods are:
- Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener
- CP-E Turbo Inlet
- Turbosmart BPV
- CP-E RMM
- All the shifting mods

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hi, so a few days ago, my 2009 MS3 threw a CEL upon startup. Pulled the code and it's the P2187, lean at idle.

Throughout the life of the CEL, the car was really normal. Of course I didn't really push it. But I did push it once, just to see if I was still getting boost (because everything else has been normal).

And yep, boost as usual. I don't have a boost gauge or a numerical way of measuring boost, but trust me, the car did its thing. :)

Fast forward a few days, and the CEL disappeared. What's going on?

My mods are:
- Mazdaspeed CAI w/air straightener
- CP-E Turbo Inlet
- Turbosmart BPV
- CP-E RMM
- All the shifting mods

Thanks!
Check all the connections and hoses related to the cold air intake for being loose. If unmetered air gets into the intake manifold it will cause a lean at idle code. This includes the emission control hoses.

#3 ·
If everything checks out and no loose connections or leaks look into my thread

http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=398536&highlight=

There are a lot of possibilities to this code

I pulled the list in my thread from the mazdaspeed tech manual

My issue with this code ended up being my PCV system clogging up

Now when I drain my OCC I pump my lines to push the crap out

If you have no OCC it could still be your PCV needing to be replaced

Or something else on the list in my thread

#4 · (Edited)
Actually the list is a little different for 2187. List posted for your code.

I was thinking 2178

•Misfire
• Front H02S deterioration
• Front H02S heater malfunction
• MAF sensor malfunction
• Pressure regulator (built-in fuel injection pump) malfunction
• Fuel pump malfunction
• Fuel filter clogged or restricted
• Fuel leakage on fuel line from fuel delivery pipe and fuel pump
• Leakage exhaust system
• Purge solenoid valve malfunction
• Purge solenoid hoses improper connection
• Air suction in intake-air system
• Insufficient engine compression
• Variable valve timing control system improper operation
• PCM malfunction

#9 ·
False alarm, just a vacuum leak -.-

Took the car in today and the CEL turned itself off again to get an oil change. Thankfully the code is saved into the car computer so the dealership had something to go off of.

Turns out, one of the vacuum hose was crimped and had a slight leak.

Onto the cool stuff, they repaired everything for me. I'm not sure if they patched the hose or gave me a new one, because they didn't tell me which hose was leaking. Everything was repaired free of charge.

Did I mention my car is at 54,xxx miles and out of warranty? :)

If anyone is in the bay area, I highly recommend Putnam Mazda, this isn't the first time they've done stuff for my car off the books. The service manager is chill and he gets that certain cars are bought with the aftermarket modification in mind.

For example: when the car was still under warranty, my car misfired once and threw a code. At that point, I had my CAI, TIP, and Turbosmart BPV on, and I was worried my warranty wouldn't cover the repairs. They were like: "Naw, your car misfired cause it misfired, dont worry about your mods. Your warranty is safe."

He even gave me advance and recommended me a shop for powdercoating my RX-8's. :)

#10 ·
Glad you got it fixed bud, good to hear.

Your powertrain is good till 60k.

TSB's for smoking turbo and VVT noise is good till 70k.

Glad you got a good mazda dealer with a repair shop that has common sense and knows how to take care of there customers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.