Mazda3 Forums banner

Click/clucking noise in reverse

31K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  mz3xsyaoran 
#1 ·
So when i back out of my driveway or any driveway with a slight (10degree at most) slope, and turning either left or right simultaneously, there is a loud click or clucking noise thats triggers (The noise is loud enough to be catch someone's attention). The car drives just normal in reverse and in forward gear, there isn't any ordinary steering wheel behavior, nor is there any vibration at the steering wheel. The car has roughly 4,000 miles on it and i'm the only driver.

Any suggestion where it could be coming from or what could be causing it?
Thanks in advance guys.

#2 ·
I am not sure but I think I might have a similar problem. It only happens when I change from forward to reverse or vise versa.

Say I back into a parking spot then when leaving I move forward quickly I will get a noticable clunk but it will be fine after that. But if I stop and go to backup again and do it quickly then the clunk happens again.

I had a buddy say he thinks it might be a drive shaft/axel/CV Joint issue. I have over 63k Km on my car. I thought it might have been my motor mount but I cant see it as I made sure everything was torqued down the other day.

If I let the car move forward before if I come off the clutch quickly as before it doesn't make the noise.

I am taking the car in on Tuesday to see what it is. If anyone can shed light on this for me it would be greatly appreaciated. As well as for spooln3.

#3 ·
same thing happens to me, its only in first gear and happens right when i start moving, my brother drives a 07 gti and he has the same thing so i thought it was normal.

#4 ·
I am taking mine in Tuesday, same deal forward and reverse but you need to shift the weight transfer to reproduce it, I feel it's coming from left front, it has been suggested to me that it might be the fron sway bar nut beginning to loosen up but I didnt have the will to check this week since last week i did an oil change.

#5 ·
[quote author=110100100 link=topic=112447.msg2331896#msg2331896 date=1211395879]
I am not sure but I think I might have a similar problem. It only happens when I change from forward to reverse or vise versa.

Say I back into a parking spot then when leaving I move forward quickly I will get a noticable clunk but it will be fine after that. But if I stop and go to backup again and do it quickly then the clunk happens again.

I had a buddy say he thinks it might be a drive shaft/axel/CV Joint issue. I have over 63k Km on my car. I thought it might have been my motor mount but I cant see it as I made sure everything was torqued down the other day.

If I let the car move forward before if I come off the clutch quickly as before it doesn't make the noise.

I am taking the car in on Tuesday to see what it is. If anyone can shed light on this for me it would be greatly appreaciated. As well as for spooln3.
[/quote]

Axel or CV boot/joint issue came to my mind cause of the problems i faced with the differential brackets and such with my speed6, as that was the weakest link in that car. I really hope to avoid that problem with this car. As Lenny suggested that it might be the front sway bar nut/bolt, which actually makes much more sense. Here are my reasoning:
-It only a one click/cluck
-It isn't repetitive
If it was an axle issue, then it would be repettive and it would most definitely be consistent in everyday driving and what not.

To the people who are taking their cars in next week, please keep me posted with what the dealership says about the problem. I'll call my service adviser once i get word from you guys. Work and summer classes has me tied up and don't have time to leave my car anywhere for too long.

Thanks for the help guys!

#6 ·
Loose brake pads? Mine does this, even shifting first to second I can hear it with the windows down. More a tink than a clunk, unless the pads don't shift until I touch the brakes, then it is a clunk.

#7 ·
The regular 3 does this too......exactly as you described. Let us know if you figure it out.

Many point to the Ford brake system - some say endlink pop - others point to the Ford designed strut bearings.

I personally think its the coils popping. Far worse when lowered.

#8 ·
[quote author=MazdaSteve3 link=topic=112447.msg2333388#msg2333388 date=1211427051]
Loose brake pads? Mine does this, even shifting first to second I can hear it with the windows down. More a tink than a clunk, unless the pads don't shift until I touch the brakes, then it is a clunk.
[/quote]

I think you might be referring to a different problem then. The noise i described is pretty much exactly how i stated it atleast with my MS3. When i had my MS6, i heard that noise constantly, and just ignored it along with a bunch of other random creaks/clunks/clicks that the car seemed to produce all by it self. This noise in particular is EXACTLY how it sounded in my MS6, and i also hear it in my dad's FX45 (50k miles).

At least in my situation, i don't believe it to be the brake pad to be the problem because it only happens when the wheel is turned.

#9 ·
[quote author=spooln3 link=topic=112447.msg2333575#msg2333575 date=1211432608]
At least in my situation, i don't believe it to be the brake pad to be the problem because it only happens when the wheel is turned.
[/quote]

Ah, I missed that part.

#11 ·
[quote author=zim link=topic=112447.msg2333731#msg2333731 date=1211440673]
I'm pretty sure it's normal. my civic did the same thing. it's a sound that occurs when weight is transferred on the axle
[/quote]

I am pretty sure it is NOT normal.

People, please stop saying it is normal.

Why do I say this? It is not happening on the majority of individuals cars. Not getting this sound at all on my speed3....or any of the sounds listed in this thread.

#12 ·
I'm pretty sure it's normal. my civic did the same thing. it's a sound that occurs when weight is transferred on the axle
[/quote]

As much as i would love to agree with you and pretend that all of this is normal, i would hate to be stuck 500 miles from home, and my axle is broken, or my swaybar is hanging down...
:p

I think the best call here is to just wait until the people that are already taking their cars to the dealership this tuesday and just wait for their word...
I might get some time on saturday to get down and take a look, so if i do - i'll let you guys know

#13 ·
[/quote]

I am not sure I would say it is normal. This has never happened in the last 62k Km but just started around 63k Km.

I will keep things updated on the status.

#14 ·
i have this clunking sound too.It sounds like it coming from the front left of the car,and does it in low speeds or gear R-1-2.I have only 4.5kmi on my car,It seem to start making the noise about a week or two after my motor mount install

#15 ·
[quote author=GriM link=topic=112447.msg2333988#msg2333988 date=1211464251]
i have this clunking sound too.It sounds like it coming from the front left of the car,and does it in low speeds or gear R-1-2.I have only 4.5kmi on my car,It seem to start making the noise about a week or two after my motor mount install
[/quote]

I don't know if it wuold be MM relevant, as i still have yet to swap mine out - but then again, you never know! I just called my service adviser, and he said hes going to give me a call back. I'll keep you updated about what he might say...

#19 ·
Got it here too, although I've yet to hear it after installing my COBB springs this past weekend. hmm

#20 ·
im getting some other clicking from under the hood from just having the car stand still with not turning the steering wheel tonight it got even worse and got loud. i "RAN" a couple of other cars tonight and after when i was going home at a red light i heard it loudly and clearly the car drives fine but it scared me alot not sure what it could be. i though it could be the transmission but i was in neutral and my friend told me it cant be it since it is in neutral

#21 ·
Ok so everything is fixed up. The issue I had was the sub-frame being loose. This was due to the fact that when I had Mazda try to install my Hotchkis FSB (I said try since they couldn't install it) I am guessing they didn't torque down the sub-frame bolts. So they torqued pretty much all the front suspension and even the hubs.

All is well and good now. I just hope no further issues come up. They didn't charge me for the work either as it was covered under warranty.

#23 ·
The only thing is that my sub-frame was loose as Mazda dropped it to install my FSB. Otherwise I should not have had any issues.

Mazda replaced a wheel of mine and when they balanced it the didn't seem to stick the weight to the wheel very well as it fell off while it was in my trunk.

#25 ·
My build date if 08/06

#26 ·
i also have this problem. it sounds like a chattering noise when im coming out of first or reverse....its worse on hills when there is a greater load. is this the throw out bearing? my tranny? it sounds like its coming from the front left of the car and its a repetitive clicking or chattering noise. any idea?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.