Mazda3 Forums banner

LED turn signal problems

6K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  sirfuzzitoes 
#1 ·
(2012 mz3 2.0 Skyactiv) I recently upgraded my exterior lights to LED. The reverse and tail lights were cake, but I'm having issues with the turn signals. I installed the bulbs I got from autolumination, along with 2 - 3ohm 50w resistors; one on each side. The left side works like a charm. The right side has become a problem child.
First thing's first: I installed the left side first, resistor and all, without issue. I then moved to the right. I managed to severe the + wire, but after patching, I got it all back together, and everything ran fine.
While testing them, I noticed just how hot the resistors get, and pushed the right resistor further away from the interior trim (only secured it with one screw/nut). When I did this (using a screwdriver because it was lava hot), I contacted bare metal, giving me a spark, and presumably shorting the resistor. The resistor then became so hot that it melted its own leads so I just took it off. I can deal with hyperflash until a new one arrives. The real problem is that the turn signal LED illuminates when I turn on the driving or head lights, and does not flash. It does, however flash (hyper) when those lights are off. I have no issues with the front signals at all. It seems to me that I somehow crossed or fused a wire somewhere, but can't for the life of me figure it out. For the record, all four corners flash normally when the hazards are on. Does anyone who is smarter than me have and knowledge that could help shed some light on this? Thanks in advance

See less See more
#2 ·
The problem is that the led you are using needs to have the load resistor attached or it causes it to act up. Another issue could be that that bulb needs to be flipped 180 degrees. The only reason an led bulb will turn on when its not suppose to. Is if the polarity is wrong. check the pins on the led bulb. Another thing i failed to mention earlier. is that i have personally noticed that the quality control of most of the companies is subpar. Just last week i had a set of LED switchbacks work fine for about two months, and than this week decided they were gonna stop working proper. Ordered replacements after talking to the manufacturer. and now i have my leds all working now. You might just have a bad led bulb it happens. OR like I said before. Make sure to check the led pin out to the socket.

ALSO if the bulb that you shredded the positive wire to on accident is the one thats not working. than that is DEFINITELY the culprit. A bad connection or no connection is going to cause undesired operation.

Note: I have a skyactive hatch, a 2.5 2010 hatch, and a 2008 I sedan. All of which have LED Conversions.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input! I actually have not tested with another bulb since I got everything else squared away - I did initally when I was having problems. I do know that the hyperflash is due to there being no resistor on the wire currently, so I'm not as worried about that as I am the fact that the turn signal is illuminating when the headlights are on.

#4 ·
Two things to take into consideration. The Parking lights are always on when the headlights are on. unless you disabled it somehow. HOWEVER, If they are lighting up but not flashing with the turn signal than it is because the legs on the LED are not touching the correct pins. of the four pins. two of them must touch the corresponding ground. and one must touch the signal wire. and the last needs to tap into the parking light wire. hope it helps. you should be using a 7444na for your bulb.

#5 ·
I put the original halogen in and, it at least flashes when the headlights are on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the read turn signals are not illuminated when the headlights are on, only when activated as the turn signal. The front turns ARE illuminated when the headlights are on. Maybe the left side is the problem (since it does not illuminate with the headlights) and I just have a bad LED on the right that does not properly flash. I truly appreciate your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.