Mazda3 Forums banner

Transmission Fluid Change vs. Flush ?

116K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  leshan 
#1 ·
Hi, I have an 06 Mazda 3 Sport (Automatic) with about 45,000 KM and I'm thinking it's time to change out the tranny fluid. My question is, should I opt for the fluid change (~$120) or the flush (~$200+) ? Also, should I opt for synthetic, which seems to run about $60 extra ?

Thanks,

Brian

#2 ·
i changed my transmission fluid change for like $20 with a friend. there is a thread posted here. You got an automatic it should way longer and 43,000 equates to about 28k miles. r u serious with that? thats pretty low to be changing your fluid already. check the manual.

#3 ·
Actually, considering how hard these engines seem to be on the tranny fluids, and how many reports of the fluid being black/gunky/stinky after 15-20k miles, I'd say you're probably due. I did mine around 18k, and it was in some bad bad shape. I replaced with Mobile 1 full synthetic V, and all is better. If you back out to the index page, look up top at the permanent threads and you should see one about how to do this, with pictures! It's quite easy actually! If you don't want to drop the pan to clean it out "which I do suggest actually", it's simply disconnecting one tube that is very easy to access, a few flips of the key to pump out the old, pour in the new...and done. :lol:

PS: to "change" the fluid is probably just draining the few quarts from the pan and replacing, which doesn't address the majority of the fluid still in the system. To flush it, is what I describe up top, with pulling off one of the hoses and letting the internal pump do the work for you.... I'd flush it, in my opinion.

#5 ·
wow thats pretty bad if you have to change the tranny fluid for an automatic that soon. i didnt change my manual till like 50k. i had a hard time finding redline mt90 so i went with the cheap stuff.

#6 ·
[quote author=bhiggins link=topic=119656.msg2518690#msg2518690 date=1217964767]
Hi, I have an 06 Mazda 3 Sport (Automatic) with about 45,000 KM and I'm thinking it's time to change out the tranny fluid. My question is, should I opt for the fluid change (~$120) or the flush (~$200+) ? Also, should I opt for synthetic, which seems to run about $60 extra ?

Thanks,

Brian
[/quote]

30K is generally the industry standard for flushing automatic transmissions. Some cars are easier on fluid than others. My wifes explorer is very easy on tranny fluid, it looked and smelled brand new when I had it flushed at 30K.

My 3 however has 28K and the tranny fluid is brown and burnt smelling, its ready for a flush. Im pretty easy on it too.

So yeah now is a good time to have your transmission flushed. I feel that a flush is better than drain and refill. I'd first go to a Mazda dealer and get a quote since they know the car best and have the right machines. Check the mazda website and also your dealer's website for maintenance coupons. Right now my dealer has a coupon for auto tranny flush & fill for $150 which is not bad. If you don't go to the dealer then find maybe a reputable foreign/import car garage and have them flush it.

I imagine synthetic tranny fluid would last longer....maybe someone else can post their experience with this.

#10 ·
I went with a fluid change (not flush) at my local transmission shop I've used for years. ~30K, the fluid was brown, and the only place the shop could get the transmission filter was from the local Mazda dealer. The transmission shifted MUCH smoother after the change.

The flush will get all of the fluid out of the torque convertor - a change will not on an automatic transmission.

Doug

#11 ·
[quote author=dougm link=topic=119656.msg2540509#msg2540509 date=1218735343]
and the only place the shop could get the transmission filter was from the local Mazda dealer.
[/quote]
really?! i got one at advance auto parts.. they had them in stock at o'reily, napa, and autozone too

#12 ·
i followed the how to in the forums as mentioned to do my own fluid change.

i changed the fluid at 45k at a local shop w/ generic mercV fluid for about $130
i changed the fluid at 65k myself an install fest (thanks sleeping!) w/ mobil1 mercV fluid for about $65. then i went on a 2800 mile road trip, i wonder what the fluid looks like now...

next time i service my trans, i will drop the pan, clean it out, replace all fluid and filter.

#16 ·
Drain and fill only.
Most manufacturers will tell you NOT flush anything. Honda will disown you.
Mazda 3's tranny doesnt need ANY service till 60k.
I was anal and did a drain and fill on mine at 40k.
The old fluid was fine.
Mazda has an EXCELLENT sevice record on these trannys.
There is a reason why some of you burn your tranny fluid up so fast.
Drive the car normally and it will last for a LONG time.

#17 ·
[quote author=alecshawn1 link=topic=119656.msg2668809#msg2668809 date=1223251223]
Drain and fill only.
Most manufacturers will tell you NOT flush anything. Honda will disown you.
Mazda 3's tranny doesnt need ANY service till 60k.
I was anal and did a drain and fill on mine at 40k.
The old fluid was fine.
Mazda has an EXCELLENT sevice record on these trannys.
There is a reason why some of you burn your tranny fluid up so fast.
Drive the car normally and it will last for a LONG time.
[/quote]

Define "normally" :)

#20 ·
I know it's an old topic, but here's a quick update on transmission fluid life.

I changed the factory fluid about 3-4 years ago at 30k miles with Castrol MultiVehicle Import (it is M-V specs compatible. Make sure the oil you use is right!!). I am always using full flash method i.e. disconnecting the transmission outlet hose, never believed in drain-refill-half-arse-waste-of-fluid methods LOL. I did not drop the tranny pan at that time.

Last night I had it changed again (now I am at 75k miles) and I also had the pan dropped and changed the transmission oil filter. And let me tell you after 45 000 miles the oil did not look half bad. It was tired, but certainly not dead - no burnt smell, still some transparency left, there were almost no sludge in the pan, and the magnet was covered with a very thin layer (dust-like thick) of particles. Again, it did not look bad at all.

The transmission oil filter was ok also. I think Mazda is right claiming it does not have to be replaced for life. After all it is more like a strainer. And the main work is done by the magnet in the pan.

I drive 60% highway/40% city, always in Auto mode, and I drive fast and don't go too easy on the car with acceleration/deceleration (we all know Mz3 is asking to be driven, hehe..), but certainly I do not abuse the car nor drive rough.

I always had a slight jerk 1-to-2 shift while cold, all fine when warmed up. Overall zero problems with the transmission (knock on wood).

So just FYI guys. (You know, giving back to the forum community which helped me many times. Thanks everybody!)

Now I think it is ok to change tranny oil every 50k miles, or maybe even 60k. Those using Mobile1 synthetic transmission oil should be fine for 80k, maybe even 100k miles.

What's important is the the initial flush with a quality oil like Castrol at 15k-to-30k miles. The initial break-in of all the parts in the new car is the time when most of particles, gunk and material shavings occur. As soon as you flush it out of the system only the normal (very gradual) wear occurs. Hence longer life of the transmission oil.

All IMHO.

Cheers!
(Mz3s HB 2006, 2.3L 5sp ATX, 75k miles. Boston, MA)

#23 ·
Thanks for great information.
My car had a slight jerk 1-to-2 shift while cold, all fine when warmed up as well. Even after I did full flash method as you did with OEM ATF about 1k miles ago.
I was wondering if it will shift smoother or no jerk at all if I fully flush it again with amsoil atf?
Thanks.

#21 ·
[quote author=reminor link=topic=119656.msg4172014#msg4172014 date=1326299629]I always had a slight jerk 1-to-2 shift while cold, all fine when warmed up.[/quote]

This is actually something Mazda fixed with a software update a few years ago. I had this problem too, and when the car was still under warranty I had the dealer flash the ECU, problem gone.

I suspect that the relative cleanliness you're seeing in the tranny pan and filter is due largely to using good quality fluid. These ATX's definitely benefit from a nice synthetic ATF.

#22 ·
[quote author=DrWebster link=topic=119656.msg4172225#msg4172225 date=1326328562]

This is actually something Mazda fixed with a software update a few years ago. I had this problem too, and when the car was still under warranty I had the dealer flash the ECU, problem gone.
[/quote]

Thanks, I knew about that TSB. It is for up to 2005 year I believe, mine is 2006. About 5 years ago I still had my car checked by VIN at the dealer and the TSB does not apply to my particular car.

Anyway, it is a very slight jerk, more like a pull, and it does not bother me at all and only happens in cold months when it is at or below freezing temperatures. I feel when the car is about to shift from 1st to 2nd gear and I just ease the gas pedal pressure a bit so the rev's drop and there is no pull. Goes away after 3-4 up-down shifts during normal driving. No biggie at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.