Mazda3 Forums banner

Brake Pads For Autocross/DD

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ibob991 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

here is my current situation: I just replaced the my rotors and brake pads on my 3, due to the lack of braking power I felt I had during the last 2 events. I had a pair of akebono euro and proact laying around from a purchase I made on the forums. Tried them out at an event this past weekend and didn't notice much of a difference. I'm not sure if they are completely broken in yet, so that may be an issue. I'm wondering what everyone here in STF runs for pads and your experience with different pads. I'm also wondering if it would be a better idea to just replace the fronts with something a little more aggressive ( not sure if mixing pads is ok or not). Any and all advice is welcome.

PS: At this current time, it is not possible for me to swap to speed 3 calipers as I know many people do.

#2 ·
Brakes for Autocross

Personally I've never felt like at an Autocross that I've not had enough brake. Tire maybe, but not brake. I've even got the 3i, and can at any point achieve maximum braking on any course (no ABS too).

And I use an aftermarket stock-equivalent pad.

Or do you road race?

#4 · (Edited)
Personally I've never felt like at an Autocross that I've not had enough brake. Tire maybe, but not brake. I've even got the 3i, and can at any point achieve maximum braking on any course (no ABS too).

And I use an aftermarket stock-equivalent pad.

Or do you road race?
I have a 3I and no ABS as well. I just feel like the pads have no bite. A few instructors that have driven the car as well feel that the car could use more grab.

I've been running EBC Yellows up front and Hawk HPS pads in the rear the past couple of years and have been happy with the setup. I agree with Scott that tire grip is usually the limiting factor in how well you can slow the car while autocrossing, however if you want something that is noticeably more aggressive than oem but still quite streetable, the Yellow pads fit the bill nicely.
Do you think it would be ok to run the yellows on the front with the akebonos on the rear?

#3 ·
I've been running EBC Yellows up front and Hawk HPS pads in the rear the past couple of years and have been happy with the setup. I agree with Scott that tire grip is usually the limiting factor in how well you can slow the car while autocrossing, however if you want something that is noticeably more aggressive than oem but still quite streetable, the Yellow pads fit the bill nicely.

#7 ·
Be advised.....

When you mix and match brake pad sets, from different manufacturers, you run the risk of upsetting the balance of the brakes. My assumption is that pads from one manufacturer are designed and tested to work well together.

I have heard of cases where some may have had a brake imbalance, and went to two different pads to try to correct that issue.

#10 ·
EBC pads come with an abrasive crap coating on them that's supposed to do that. Take the rotors and have them turned with new pads. That's the way to do it right.

As for pads, ya I have Advance Auto Parts Gold or Platinum pads on my 3 (can't remember which end is which) and they work ok. I like performance pads because they have different bite characteristics.

I used to love the Axxis ULT(imate) pads till I had an issue with them on my protege about 4 years ago, haven't used them since. Carbotech makes good pads, but for non track use I prefer the bang for the buck of the EBC. The Greens work well for all kinds. I've used the yellows on multiple cars and they work well, but if the car won't see track duty I don't see the need. They are on the front of my MS3, rear of my Miata and all 4 corners of my dad's Boxster S.

Hawk HP+ will go on the STF car next, but only because of contingency. Otherwise I wouldn't run them. Still might not.

#13 ·
I had Porterfield R4-S on my miata and loved them, except in cold weather as without heat they were a tad scary.

I now have the Carbotech 1521 (DD pad) and love them for my daily and would love them to autocross on, great initial bite, great modulation, and seem to not dust much. All-around good performance. I have NAPA ultra premium discs and stainless lines and couldn't be more happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.