Mazda3 Forums banner

09 Mazda3 manual key trunk to keyless trunk upgrade

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Noisy Crow 
#1 ·
My neighbor just got a 09 Mazda 3 & was very excited that the keyless entry had a trunk release button because she’s getting old but she couldn’t get it to work.

Well, long story short, a tree limb fell & busted her back window & dented the trunk. (Really sucks because it wasn’t 8 days old) She had the body man to check out why the button wasn’t working & he told her the keyless entry trunk button doesn’t work because the electric trunk popper was never installed on the car. (I haven’t actually looked at it yet because it’s still in the shop)

Anyway, my question is: What parts would it take & where would I find them (other than the dealer IF possible) to change the manual trunk to a factory style keyless trunk. I'd need a parts list, preferably with part numbers, but just accurate part names would go a long way.

If I can #1 get the info & #2 do it at a reasonable price she can afford, then I'll do a How To video for anybody interested in upgrading a Mazda3 to a keyless trunk because I often do How To videos.

#2 ·
You can buy the OEM latch mechanism with built in actuator from Mazda. The make it work, the '09s very likely have the wiring is already in place... pull out the trunk liner and have a look. For the released with the actuator there are two separate connectors. So if you see the second connector at the trunk latch then the wiring is in place. If not... well you have to run a wire up to the PJB. At the PJB on J05 you need to see if pin J has a terminal on the PJB. That's the pin that is connected to the trunk release. In there is no pin at that location... they you need to replace the PJB.

FWIW, the OEM latch mechanism bolts right into earlier models... well, at least it fits my '08 just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.