Mazda3 Forums banner

Power Steering malfunction indicator illuminated while driving

202K views 321 replies 106 participants last post by  camshaftmedia 
#1 ·
While driving down the highway I felt the steering go hard , had a look at the dash thats when I saw the little steering indicator lighted up, tried to steer to the right side of the road but it was really hard - consulted the owners manual to see that it has to be taken to dealer.

Anyone else having this issue ?? dealer advised its a safety issue and has to get approval from MAZDA to replace the part. anyone got this simillar problem ?

#27 ·
the dealer now said i gota wait till june :shock: :censored: :censored:

now that pissed me off big time. i bought a brand new car and something already went on it

#28 ·
I'd be pissed about how long it is taking, heck I'd even be pressing since it is taking so long that Mazda should be taking care of that month's car payment since it is taking basically a month.

That being said, are you seriously crazy in wanting to replace the car because a single part failed???

You need your power steering a lot less at highway speeds then you do at low speeds. 60 years ago cars didn't have power steering, and guess what everyone managed (okay, they had boat tillers for steering wheels, but hey). Its really hard for me to turn my steering wheel at a dead stop with the PS off, at highway speeds its harder, but no where near impossible. Crap, your power brake booster could fail and you can still top your car okay and even lock your brakes up so long as you aren't an 85lb 78 year old weakling.
-Matt

#30 ·
Just spoke to my dealer as well, they said they have heard they are getting some pumps in, but no idea how many or when, so still no ETA on my car.

I'm anxious to get it back... the 3i slushbox loaner they have me in is really awful to drive. I need to haul stuff this weekend, so I'm going to try to swap for a hatch loaner.

#31 ·
so lucky! i was told this friday... but theyv told me that 2 fridays AGO!

#35 ·
im not sure about the mazdaspeed 3.

#39 ·
dealer called me said parts are coming in and my car will be fixed the 26th

#40 ·
[quote author=ekanddsm link=topic=143562.msg3130205#msg3130205 date=1242683492]
so far I have only seen you forum members with 08's have this issue. and no speed3's.

Last time I checked a speed3 doesnt have a power steering warning light.
Good luck getting that covered.
[/quote]

Yes it does. And it shares the same electrohydraulic steering system as every other Mazda3. They must have changed suppliers or a slight change to the design to only affect 09 models. I just don't understand how this issue has cropped up after 5 years of the car design being on the road and this hasn't come up. Weird.

#42 ·
[quote author=WHULSKI link=topic=143562.msg3133600#msg3133600 date=1242841578]
I just sent m3 in to the dealer to get the same thing fixed, thay gave a loaner :x I went from rolling on 18's to rollin on 14's with a chevy aveo :shock: it's whack. They have no clue when it's gonna be ready, hopefully soon
[/quote]

I think the Aveo loaner is punishment for saying things like "it's whack". :p

#44 ·
[quote author=Jansley link=topic=143562.msg3122995#msg3122995 date=1242326614]
Just spoke to my dealer as well, they said they have heard they are getting some pumps in, but no idea how many or when, so still no ETA on my car.

I'm anxious to get it back... the 3i slushbox loaner they have me in is really awful to drive. I need to haul stuff this weekend, so I'm going to try to swap for a hatch loaner.
[/quote]

Jansley
Did they fix it already? If not what has the dealer been telling you so i know what to expect

#46 ·
yeah im still waiting on the parts aswell. ive been told they have the steering pump but not the tubes/pipes that connect to it...

#48 ·
My power steering went out at 80 mph on my old MZ3, it does not make any type of different it's just a bit more stiffer. I didn't slow down I kept doing my 80 up I95 with no issues. Eventually it turned back on by itself.

The MS3 does not have the same type of pump as the MZ3 matter fact they are not even in the same location.

#49 ·
Mines been in for almost 2 weeks now. They said they have the pump, but not the hoses/lines for it. Still no idea when those parts will be in. Starting to get annoying. I'm tired of driving the smelly Mazda 6 auto they gave me.

My power steering went out at 80 mph on my old MZ3, it does not make any type of different it's just a bit more stiffer. I didn't slow down I kept doing my 80 up I95 with no issues. Eventually it turned back on by itself.
It's pretty easy to turn the car when you're going that fast. Mine failed mid turn making a right at about 5 miles an hour, almost made me hit another car. It was pretty hard to drive the car at low speed with no power steering. My old car didn't have power steering, and it was much easier to turn probably because the gearing was setup for a car without power steering.

#50 ·
i got my car back tonight, the parts and service guys said more are coming in next week with hoses!

#51 ·
Same thing happened to my 2008 Mazda3 with 2,000 miles =|
My power steering locks up when the temperature around my area is around 80+ Additional to that is, the steering locks up when i turn all the way to the left.

The mechanic @ Mazda told me that it's the electronic/hydrolic pump, =) so you guys are right.
I'm stuck with a 2006 Mazda6i with 50,000 miles on it.. There are so much cons about this rental car.
Antenna was stolen, Glove department is ripped off of it sockets, tires have less than 20% tread left, the car smells like cigarette, needs a wheel alignment, needs an oil change.. [the sticker on the top left corner says the car was due at 50170, and I'm already at 51000.]

Ah. I miss my Mazda3s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.