Mazda3 Forums banner

Any how to guides to change headlight bulb on 08 mazda 3??

41K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  tylercox 
#1 ·
Thanks

#9 ·
[quote author=spiff56747 link=topic=181675.msg3851880#msg3851880 date=1289152831]
I had to take the bumper and headlights off each of the 2 times i've changed the headlights
[/quote]

jeez, that's gotta be a pain. That retaining clip is a bitch to get off. I've changed my bulbs a few times so I can kind of unhook the retaing clip easier than from my first try. It's hard but do-able.

#11 ·
#12 ·
[quote author=andrew1501 link=topic=181675.msg3857053#msg3857053 date=1289558456]
never had a problem with mine. if you understand how they work they are a breeze. just stop for a few minutes, take a look at it and use your 6th, or maybe even 7th sense and just feel it out. works every time
[/quote]

It took me a bit. Mainly b/c I was reading how everyone was having such a hard time and I bought into it. Getting it off was no problem, but getting it back in was. Then I realized if you take the top part (the longer one) of the clip all the way out of the housing groove, you can swing the entire clip open on a hinge. Then simply put the bulb back in, close the clip and tuck away the top portion back into the housing groove.

#13 ·
Yeah....this clip is a PITA. The least intuitive bulb clip I've ever had to deal with on a car.

However there is one secret to success: INSPECTION MIRROR.

Without inspection mirror = broken clip, cursing, etc.

With inspection mirror = piece of cake.

Here's a picture I took using my inspection mirror and some comments to help anyone trying to figure this out the first time.

EDIT: Fixed that image link for you. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.