Mazda3 Forums banner

key stuck in ignition?

26K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  uzevla 
#1 ·
i tried searching but i guess no one has had this problem ?

i have an 04 mazda3 and lately the key has been getting harder and harder to pull out of the ignition when i turn my car off.

it inserts fine and turns on with no problems, its just the pulling out. tonight i had to use 2 hands.

has anyone else experienced this kind of problem? tips/tricks please ? wtf..?

#4 ·
[quote author=shwelan link=topic=165800.msg3514168#msg3514168 date=1264466783]
wd-40? ahha i dont know if that well eff anything up.

maybe she just doesnt like you pulling out?
[/quote]lmao

and no, i have an automatic.

one of my friends told me the key is wearing out. but i've never heard of that so idk if that has any merit?

i also thought about greasing it up, but i dont want to risk messing things up further ?

#5 ·
I do not know if this reply is still valid, However, since you have an auto trans, you need to place the gear in "Park" or in "Neutral before you can pull the key out from the ignition. I think this is a safety feature to make sure that you are not in "Drive" when you start the car.

#6 ·
[quote author=mhikeboy link=topic=165800.msg3699945#msg3699945 date=1276776425]
I do not know if this reply is still valid, However, since you have an auto trans, you need to place the gear in "Park" or in "Neutral before you can pull the key out from the ignition. I think this is a safety feature to make sure that you are not in "Drive" when you start the car.
[/quote]

Yup. The ignition assembly has a solenoid that is activated by the gear selector. If the solenoid fails or sticks you wont's be able to remove the key. Solution (I believe) is to replace the ignition assembly... I don't think the solenoid can be replaced separately.

#7 ·
Time for a new lock buddy... I have an 04 auto and recently had my lock changed, the good news is they can just change the tumbler in the lock bad news is... 2nd key is given... do it now before it gets to bad, I ignored it as it wasn't always getting stuck then one day I couldn't get it to turn at all after 20-30 times and it just worked took it to mazda and they opened it up and told me new tumbler is the fix and they loosened it or something so I was okay until the new tumbler was installed... anyhow thats the answer

#12 ·
This is an old thread, but is a top result and valid even more as the cars are getting older.
The solenoid that does the key locking has not been changed in the last 50 years so what I experienced with my 2010 Mazda 6 should be pretty universal:
At the back side of the ignition cylinder is a small solenoid that has a pin which is engaged when not in Park.
When you go into Park, the solenoid turns off, and the pin falls down under it's own weight.
The thing is: the solenoid is attached under 45 degree and is not dustproof. So, a bit of dust, and the fact the pin already has some traction, and you'll get a pin that doesn't come down when solenoid is disengaged..
For my Mazda this solenoid is not a separate part number but is a part of the ignition cylinder. So I've bought the cylinder of eBay and took only the solenoid.
But you can just remove the solenoid but then it's dangerous - you are able to take out your key even if not in Park.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.