Mazda3 Forums banner

How many trouble free miles? Tell us about your car.

16K views 34 replies 27 participants last post by  AZ-520 
#1 ·
Just curious if anyone if over the 100,000 mile mark and if so what kind of problems you have encountered along the way.

Mine is an '07 totally stock. 41,000 miles and no problems. Original everything and runs good.

#2 ·
My 2007 just hit 57,500 miles. At 25K it needed a new front strut and at 26K the turbo started smoking. At 50K the VVT actuator became noisy and was replaced. At around 52K it stared throwing an "EGR flow insufficient" CEL, but I cured that by switching from Kroger 93 to BP 93 fuel. At 56K I installed my third set of tires. Right now it's running great but the OEM shocks are totally shot. I'll also probably need to fit new pads all around before 60K. I'm about 80% sure I'll keep the car for another 2-3 years and if I do I'm getting a set of Bilstein HDs.

#3 ·
I hit 90k last week on my 07 2.0L MTX and have had no problems whatsoever. Everything under the hood is stock, never have autox. The only performance mod I have done is installed lowering springs around 45k...stock shocks still holding up nicely.

I had front pads replaced @ 89k, and I'm on my third set of tires (the first two sets I had were crappy). Other than that, routine oil changes and tire rotations only :)

#4 ·
[quote author=nuffsaid link=topic=171476.msg3634533#msg3634533 date=1272337762]
I hit 90k last week on my 07 2.0L MTX and have had no problems whatsoever. Everything under the hood is stock, never have autox. The only performance mod I have done is installed lowering springs around 45k...stock shocks still holding up nicely.

I had front pads replaced @ 89k, and I'm on my third set of tires (the first two sets I had were crappy). Other than that, routine oil changes and tire rotations only :)
[/quote]
pretty sure he was referring to the Mazdaspeed 3. We share a frame and maybe seatbelts that's about it as far as similarities( there are more but you get the picture.)

#5 ·
I've only got about 39k on my '07 MS3 and have been basically problem free. I put about 300 miles on it during a track weekend at VIR which it did wonderfully at, but I ended up having to replace my tires and brakes at 14k as a result. I've just about hit the end of the road with my second set of tires now and will be replacing them soon. The only actual problem I've had with my car was a CEL it started throwing at about 35k (EGR flow insufficient also), got it flashed at the dealership only to have the problem come back last week. I'm using BP 93 though, so I'm probably going to have to get creative with my fix for that :lol:

This car has been a WONDERFUL change from my previous hunk of problematic junk, a 03.5 Mazdaspeed Protige. Pretty much anything that could've gone wrong with that car did. I'm glad I gave Mazda the benefit of the doubt and stuck with the brand though, because I love my new 'speed!

#6 ·
[quote author=t147 link=topic=171476.msg3636383#msg3636383 date=1272427697]

[/quote]
pretty sure he was referring to the Mazdaspeed 3. We share a frame and maybe seatbelts that's about it as far as similarities( there are more but you get the picture.)
[/quote]

my bad, carry on...

#7 ·
[quote author=nuffsaid link=topic=171476.msg3637870#msg3637870 date=1272501280]
[quote author=t147 link=topic=171476.msg3636383#msg3636383 date=1272427697]

[/quote]
[/quote]

my bad, carry on...
[/quote]

Lawl
As you were.

#8 ·
I had a 2007 MS3 that I sold in 9/09 with 36k miles and only had the rear shocks replaced under warranty. I have 19k miles on my 2010 MS3 and have not had a single problem with it.

#9 ·
I bought my '07 MS3 eleven months ago with 33,5xx miles on it. It is almost at 53k right now. It had a CEL for the EGR valve at around 40K. I removed the EGR valve and cleaned it out with brake cleaner. The CEL has not come back since. I also spun a wheel bearing around the same time, though I attribute this to driving the car on logging roads with the stock summer tires while working some rally courses. Other than that, I've not had any mechanical or electrical problems with the car.

#12 ·
07 Speed3, right under 74K miles. Had a flashing CEL at 35K which ended up just being a hose that a tech had not properly secured after a service. Had the notorious "whah whah" sound from the transmission after new fluid was done, just needed the friction modifier added. Hit a grand canyon pot hole at 61K right after purchasing new wheels and bent the rim but the rest of the car was fine. Had a CEL at 71K due to a loose gas cap (oops). Now at 74K, front right strut is starting to leak a little so it will need to be replaced soon. All mods added right around 60K miles and have had no new issues from the changes.

#14 ·
The "EGR flow insufficient" CEL returned at @68K miles, I replaced the EGR valve and I assume all is well at 70K miles. I now think I'll unload the car before it hits 90K-100K.

#15 ·
2009 with 20.5k trouble free miles. Hit a goliath pot hole going about 75 on the interstate and blew out a tire which also threw my alignment out, but that's more of a Missouri thing then the cars.

#16 ·
My 2008 Black Mica is sitting at 43k.
Car is pretty modified and runs about 1-2 AutoX events per month.
Only issue so far has been burning up the thermostat at 40k, and that was mostly my fault anyways for letting it idle too long.

#21 ·
About to hit 30,000 on my 08.5 ms3...no problems...got tires changed at 18,xxx miles and just recently changed my front pads + rotors.

((Only things I have are, Cobb inlet & intake. TWM bushings, forge bpv, step colder plug, 3" straight pipe and front mount going on in next week or so with tune))

#23 ·
07 MS3 with about 81500 miles on it.

Havent really had to spend much (if any) from my pocket except for the 4 sets of tires and 3rd set of front pads & rotors, tranny fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, engine oil etc...Knock on wood.

However I did have my fair share of issues when the car was under warranty.

1. Replaced #4 engine mount under recall program. 2 months later the mount failed. The bolt backed out. Fixed under warranty. Six months later, I hear this eerily familiar clicking sound while backing up and after a few miles a pedal vibration. Checked the mount and guess what - it was on its way out again!!. Tightened it myself and fabricated a mechanical lock for the bolt so it wouldnt back out. Been fine since (about 3 yrs now).

2. VVT actuator noise around 50K. Replaced under warranty.

3. Engine smoking on extended idle around 56K. Happened thrice, but dealer couldnt replicate. Switched to 10W40 no issues since. Now back to 10W30 and so far been fine.

4. Rear sway bar clunking. Replaced links under warranty. Been mostly fine since, but i think I hear an occasional clunk, even though all the fasteners appear to be tight.

5. EGR flow insufficient CEL, around 48K. Cleaned using carb cleaner and re-installed it myself. Been fine since.

6. Belt tensioner is getting noisier. Had changed the pulley 20K ago, but still been having the clicking sounds. Prolly will replace it in a couple of weeks.

7. Frozen idler pulley bolt. That pulley was a bit wobbly and wanted to replace it (around 60K). But so far I haven't and its been doing fine. I should say I screwed it up, by using a 12 pt socket and now the head is rounded out. Just dont know how to get that bolt out. :?:

8. Front driver side shock has started leaking a bit. (around 74K). Blame it on the PA turnpike.

Other than that been a very reliable car - with a sweet purring engine. I simply love listening to the engine with hood raised up.

#25 ·
I used to be bad when it came to engine braking, was a bit worried about wearing out the clutch. But still managed to keep the first set of pads to around 68k. Was stupid enough to buy set of Bendix pads, assuming they were good. I bet wooden pads would perform way better than that particular Bendix I had. Guess I picked their economy pads. Long story short - changed pads again after only about 6k on them (ie 74-75k miles). This time I went for the Hawk HPS. The initial bite is not as good as the stock pads. Overall I like the stock ones the most.

Also to add to my earlier post - I changed the serpentine belt, the tensioner assembly and idler pulley. The idler pulley bolt was rounded off couple of years ago during a failed attempt to change it. It still managed to wobble and survive for almost 35k miles. Used the Craftsman Bolt Out (low profile) to get it out.

I used a Gates tensioner, idler and belt. All rattling from the passenger side of the engine is gone now...whew finally.

#26 ·
07 with 150000 miles, and the list of problems isn't too bad;
2 turbos, vvt actuator and timing chain, belt tensioner assembly, and rear shocks.

The turbos and belt tensioner were warranty items, so no biggie there. Any other issues are all wear items like brakes and tires, so I can't complain. The clutch, transmission and engine are all still going strong so far...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.