Mazda3 Forums banner

Power Steering Fluid Change, Syringe/Tubing

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  XCNuse 
#1 ·
I have purchased a plastic syringe and flexible tubing. I will use it to remove old power steering fluid (I know it is tranny fluid) from the reservoir, so I can introduce new fluid into the system.

The tubing is flexible clear tubing. When I look at the reservoir, and the size of the hose that connects the reservoir to the pump, I think I might be able to push the plastic tubing all the way down into the pump (ie. inside the hose that connects the reservoir to the pump). This would allow me to pull out a lot more fluid.

Question: Is there any reason I should NOT attempt to push the flexible clear tubing down into the pump (if it will go easily)?

ps. I intend to do this when the pump is cold (car not run for at least 8 hours), as I don't want to risk hot fluid melting the plastic tubing.

#2 · (Edited)
I proceeded. The tubing did not go down very far. I was able to empty the reservoir, that was it really.

I had some newspaper on the ground. Good thing, as soon as moved the syringe away from the engine compartment, the flexible tubing disconnected from the syringe, resulting in spillage.

I estimate I pulled roughly 30ml (one ounce) out. So, given I bought a quart of synthetic ATF, I'll be able to do this 30 times ... every week until October?

http://tinypic.com/r/28ulk7o/8

#4 ·
Thanks XCN.

I've seen video of the 'correct' way. Cannot argue against that it is thorough. You have a valid point of view.

I liked the look of the fluid I pulled out. Nice transparent pinkish color, zero evidence of contaminants. Smelled completely neutral. Used ATF coming out of a tranny that I in the past have smelled, had a least a little bit of an odor to it (not necessarily burnt, but unpleasant).

Taking it out an ounce at a time, all the fluid will never be changed out.

But it takes literally 2 minutes, and there is no crawling around on the ground, removing panels, unclamping hoses, etc, so it has that in its favor.

In the absence of evidence that the fluid is spent, or has contaminants in it, rejuvenating the additives via the intro of fresh fluid is my #1 objective. I am adding full synthetic (Pennzoil MV-ATF), which is better than what was put in at the factory I imagine. Syringe plus the quart of fluid, total cost $12, cheap insurance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.