Mazda3 Forums banner

Mazda 3 Vs. Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  RedHatchMan 
#1 ·
Hey, Im in the market for a new car. It would be used primarly for city driving. Aster all my reaserching I think I may go with a Mazda 3 (probly sport, coup is nice but something seems to be missing in the back, not that I really need the space) or a Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart. i wouldnt go with the evo because I am Canadian and it is not available here. The car would be driven through snow and whatever other crap this city throws at me. I was just wondering what people think is better. Obiously this is a 3 forum so it may fare better, but I wanna know any problems and good things you have had with your 3 or if you have driven/owned a Ralliart your likes and dislikes. Mazda wins with styling hands down, but juging on performance, comfort, drivability, suspension, and handeling. Insurance costs are also improtant to me as I am a younger male in Alberta: GRRRRRR stupid $3000.00 a year for an intrepid. One other thing, the Mazdaspeed 3, anyone got specs, pricing info, or rrelease dates? I thank you for your help in advance.

#4 ·
[quote author=carfreak link=topic=47995.msg747716#msg747716 date=1149179710]
Hey, Im in the market for a new car. It would be used primarly for city driving. Aster all my reaserching I think I may go with a Mazda 3 (probly sport, coup is nice but something seems to be missing in the back, not that I really need the space) or a Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart. i wouldnt go with the evo because I am Canadian and it is not available here. The car would be driven through snow and whatever other crap this city throws at me. I was just wondering what people think is better. Obiously this is a 3 forum so it may fare better, but I wanna know any problems and good things you have had with your 3 or if you have driven/owned a Ralliart your likes and dislikes. Mazda wins with styling hands down, but juging on performance, comfort, drivability, suspension, and handeling. Insurance costs are also improtant to me as I am a younger male in Alberta: GRRRRRR stupid $3000.00 a year for an intrepid. One other thing, the Mazdaspeed 3, anyone got specs, pricing info, or rrelease dates? I thank you for your help in advance.
[/quote]

A couple of years ago I liked the RalliArt and test drove it. It is decent, but in all honesty it doesn't compare with the Mazda3. The benefits of the RalliArt are: it's a tiny bit faster(maybe .1 or .2 for 0-60), 5 year warranty (plan to use it).. but that's really about all I can think although come to think of it, the ralliart probably has more aftermarket performance parts. The mazda3 has a better resale, higher quality (although both are mada in Japan..), better interior(seats, glovebox, dash, etc), much better exterior(can't even compare the two), more comfortable, better handling etc. That .2 seconds the ralliart is faster 0-60 won't matter if there are any turns in the race.

The mazdaspeed3 will be coming out in a few months, it will be fairly hard to get, over $30K canadian, and your insurance will be far higher than mazda3 or ralliart. It will have 247 HP and 280 tq. It uses the same engine as the mazdaspeed6 and the cx-7. It will go 0-60 in just over 6 seconds, and has man performance based enhancements over the regular mazda3.(LSD, interior, tranny, suspension etc) I wish I would've wait a couple years and bought a speed3, but too late I guess. I don't even want to think about what my insurance would cost though because I live in Alberta too. And if you have a penis, and were born in the 80s they rape you worse than that scene in American History X.

#5 ·
About the speed3, Mazda Canada is saying that it will be released in the late summer (could easily be fall imo) and that final specs and pricing will be released at the same time, not before  :x  

A few things that we do know:

2007 MazdaSpeed3 Specifications

Engineering

2.3L MZR DISI Turbo with Direct Injection Turbo System (over 250HP (I have veen hearing 260hp from TheBiz) and 280 lb-ft torque)
6-Speed manual transmission (same as the speed6)
Traction control system (TSC)
Limited slip differential
Rack and pinion steering with engine rev. power assist
Large diameter 4-wheel disc brakes (320mm front and 280mm rear rotors)
Sport tuned suspension

Exterior

18" unique alloy wheels
unique sporty bumpers, side sills, front and rear bumper
unique rear roof spoiler
unique front grille
unique fog lights
Xenon (HID) headlamps with manual levelling
Exterior color True Red (A4A)

Interior

AM/FM CD player with 6-CD changer, BOSE audio system, 4 speakers, 2 tweeters and subwoofer
alluminum pedals and footrest
unique sport bucket seats
unique finish on centre panel
unique floor mats
meter set
Retractable Key with keyless remote entry

Engine

MazdaSpeed
Type 2.3L MZR with DISI turbo
Valve gear DOHC 16-valve
Displacement 2260 cc
Bore and stroke TBA
Compression ratio TBA
Horsepower SAE net over 250 @ TBA (again TheBiz has heard that it will be 260hp)
Torque, SAE net lb-ft 280 @ TBA (torque peak should be around 3000rpm)
Fuel system Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI

Give your thanks to TheBiz for this information as he has posted it in several threads/forums.

I drove my 3 all winter here in canada (to the ski hills etc.) and I had no problems at all.  I did invest in a good pair on winter tires though, I wasn't willing to risk it with the all seasons.  I have never ridden in or driven an lancer, but like you say the stying of the 3 is superior and magazines have gotten better performance numbers behind the wheel of the 3 execpt for acceleration where the 2 are about the same with mid 7 second 0-60 times with the 5spd mtx.  From the few times that I have looked inside the ralliart, the interior looks cheap compared to the 3's but again I don't have much experience with the mitsubishi.

#6 ·
once lost it going up a mountain here in california (big bear) on some black ice. not as bad as the other car in front of me 1st gen integra he spun out and hit the side of the mountain. so really i guess we were both going too fast. also i just had the crap stock tires, nothing for winter etc. so really i'm gonna say it stuck to the road pretty well considering i didnt slam into the mount.

yea they really rape you if you're a male 20ish. and here I was complaining about insurance. (2000US for the year, no points)

#7 ·
[quote author=b1unt3d link=topic=47995.msg748429#msg748429 date=1149204263]
[quote author=carfreak link=topic=47995.msg747716#msg747716 date=1149179710]
And if you have a penis, and were born in the 80s they rape you worse than that scene in American History X.
[/quote]
HAHAHA
So true, thanx 4 all the advice man[/quote]

#8 ·
[quote author=holistic link=topic=47995.msg748461#msg748461 date=1149206679]
once lost it going up a mountain here in california (big bear) on some black ice.  not as bad as the other car in front of me 1st gen integra he spun out and hit the side of the mountain. so really i guess we were both going too fast.  also i just had the crap stock tires, nothing for winter etc.  so really i'm gonna say it stuck to the road pretty well considering i didnt slam into the mount.

yea they really rape you if you're a male 20ish. and here I was complaining about insurance. (2000US for the year, no points)
[/quote]

Ha, I did the same thing coming back down from bear one night. The RSA's suck pretty bad in the snow w\out chains even driving slow.

#9 ·
My first two cars have been Mitsubishi's. A 2001 Eclipse (45k miles) and then a 1999 awd turbo Eclipse Convertible (42K miles). Both cars were awesome for me. I would have bought another Mitsubishi, but the price tag on the new Eclipse was a litte more than what I wanted to spend. Mitsubishi's warranty is if not one of the best warranties out for new vehicles. I also wanted to see the Lancer Ralliart but the dealer didn't have one in their inventory. Personally, I've had a great experience with Mitsubishi. I would definitely check them out before making YOUR decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.