Mazda3 Forums banner

Vinyl Applicator

9K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  exentix 
#1 ·
So I wanna get my roof done with matte black, and was looking for someone that's good/reasonable pricing to do it around Philly....

Does anyone have suggestions and how much it would cost?
This one guy quoted me $300, but I feel like thats too much... this is place that does car wraps too.

#4 ·
I think it was Carowen that vinyl-wrapped his roof? Can't remember where I saw it. I was wondering if anyone could link me to that 3m breathable vinyl. A-sher, I think you've been chatting in whichever thread it was where we talked about a vinyled roof, too. Looking for the product here. I'm thinking about maybe adding some matte black vinyl stripes to the hood of my 2011 hatch, just to see how it looks...

I also want to try this myself. Not looking to pay a fortune, just playing around with the stuff. But I don't want to ruin my paint, hence the breathable vinyl.

#6 ·
GrifN that 3M stuff is air release v2.

Have a shop do it. If you try to do a roof by yourself you will waste your time and materials. Install may be around 2-300 which isn't bad.

Request for Avery MPI 1005 ez rs
It is a flush vinyl and it's actually what we have switched over from instead of 3M's 1080C. Our installers prefer it. It's a bit more thin, but it's a lighter material, like half the cost. It's okay, I personally like the 3M over it due to the thickness, but the cost difference.. Definitely there.
So that may be something to look into.

If you want matte black or any simple colors, just use plastidip. You can paint, it'll cost you under $50 and if you can paint an even coat it will look good. I believe it is sandable too so you can make it look really good. And peel it off like vinyl afterwards.

Spray plastidip is like $3 at home depot or lowes; but you can get colors from their website.

#7 ·
hmmm ^^ thats def something to think about. I thought about plasti-dipping my roof... but ugh.. I don't know.

I went to a vinyl wrap place, I mean I hope he's using the stuff that lets your paint breath. I think it was Avery? I could be wrong though.

#8 ·
No vinyl lets your paint breathe.
Also, all vinyl has the possibility of damaging your paint.
Someone may try to tell you it'll protect your paint, but common, you're sticking adhesive to an unstable clear coat. There is nothing protective about vinyl. I know this because I run backside production at Speedpro North Atlanta.

Seriously there is nothing wrong with plastidip. For all my local guys that want to do matte black I tell them to do plastidip. I can get vinyl for them, but I'm not going through the headache of trying to install it, especially because it's to cold outside right now to be applying vinyl anyway.

Those little cross hatches and grooves and things you see in that 3M air release vinyl is to make it easier to install, it has nothing else to do with how it adheres or "protects" paint. It's purely for the installer.

Whatever you do, don't go out and buy that stupid DiNoc stuff, it looks cool on lighters and keys. On cars it's retarded, feels funny, can be a pain to wash, isn't even made for exterior usage, and no matter how good the installer is, it always looks retarded and wavy because they heated it up and didn't do a cold flat install (which is impossible in the first place)

Again, if you're going for black, get plastidip.
You're hearing this from a guy that does production at a vinyl shop lol so I have a better idea of what goes on.

Also, another thing to mention, just came across a Speed owner down in Miami, he has DiNoc on his roof, which looks really silly, I know he knows it because it's wavy, but he's been going through absolute HELL with his installers. They've dented the crap out of his roof, has proof to show it, and pulled away one of the rubber strips above the roof. Which besides the dents, is immediately a 90$ damage due to the clips on those things. Installer used double sided crappy tape (not VHB like he should have) and put more dents in the roof too.

Trust me. Roofs are the most OBNOXIOUS things to install, one or two guys slaving on ladders reaching over is the complete opposite of the optimal way to stick vinyl in the first place, it's all kinds of trouble you're asking for.

#11 ·
[quote author=mAtrixfcuk link=topic=202694.msg4184215#msg4184215 date=1328842261]
I'm going to ATL can you do my roof? haha... ahhh man! I was really considering just doing the vinyl come spring/summer... but now you got me thinking again about plastidip.
[/quote]
HAH! No way! I have to do my first window perf install tomorrow and not looking forward to it at all!

I'm hardly an installer, definitely not a vehicle wrap installer. I can do small areas, but something that large.. no way!

The biggest thing I've installed by hand was a routed out graphic for Andretti's kart place in Alpharetta for their grill .. store.. thing.
And that was only like 3 foot by 3 foot, came out pretty awesome though lol.

If I had enough time I could probably do it, but I really wouldn't want to lol! Especially not a roof.

Imagine.. waxing your roof.. but dealing with a heat gun, a squeegee, and a material that once it sticks.. is rather hard to pull apart from itself.. where in waxing.. well you're just waxing, but if you hurry can do it in like 10 minutes. Installing vinyl on a ladder and not being able to lean on anything? 30 minutes minimum if you're a really.. really good installer.

#12 ·
I to would like to do the vinyl on my roof, it looks sweet on the sunlight silver too :)
But about the plasti dip how warm should it be and how many cans would that take lol

#14 ·
So -40 with the wind chill is a little cold then. :lol:

#15 ·
dude even if i try to plastidip, i can see it going horribly wrong... I live close to the city and I have no garage etc, I have this slanted parking behind my house. I can just imagine all the dirt and shit getting caught in the plastidip before it dries. I gogt until spring to figure this ish out! haha and XCNuse I could only imagine how hard vinyling is...(big spots, atleast).

#16 ·
Well, my reasoning for vinyl is that I wanted to try a couple matte stripes. I'm wary of spraying anything on my roof... I have a spray can of PlastiDip, but I don't want to put it on anything that isn't easily replaceable. I've gotta PlastiDip my fog light bezels (the reason why I initially bought it), but if I screw that up, I can get new ones for like $40, max. Roofs are a little more expensive to replace... Not to mention I'm concerned about the PlastiDip being flush-ish on the sides (again, because I'd only be painting stripes, there is a distinct edge to the painting). Vinyl will at least get close...

#17 ·
Wait what do you mean flush on the sides? if you tape it off you'll be good no? And from what I know plasti-dip you really can't mess your roof up, you can literally peel it off. I saw a video of someone peeling it off there roof.

Oh another thing, if you plastidip, isn't this a temporary solution until it starts peeling??

#18 ·
[quote author=mAtrixfcuk link=topic=202694.msg4184744#msg4184744 date=1328883386]
Wait what do you mean flush on the sides? if you tape it off you'll be good no? And from what I know plasti-dip you really can't mess your roof up, you can literally peel it off. I saw a video of someone peeling it off there roof.

Oh another thing, if you plastidip, isn't this a temporary solution until it starts peeling??
[/quote]

By "flush", I mean tapered. Like... I don't want some thick strip of PlastiDip, and then there to be a noticeable edge to it (where you feel an edge between the paint and PlastiDip). I will tape it off, yes, so the edges are crisp between the paint and PlastiDip stripes. But I don't want a "lip" sort of thing on the edge of the stripe.

...Am I making sense?

#23 ·
Is he around here? Application is the problem, I'd fcuk up.

But anyway I think I'm going to plasti-dip once its nice out, if it doesn't turn out right I'll get it done.

Just to clarify plasti-dip wont mess your paint up right?

#25 ·
[quote author=DuoofDeath1 link=topic=202694.msg4184851#msg4184851 date=1328892764]
as long as you do it wet, it would be fine but yeah i agree that plasti-dip would be a cheap and easy first try.
[/quote]

from what i gather, when people have sprayed their body of their cars with it its a bitch to get off. Id just get it vinyled, itll look good, last long and no need for a second try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.